Philbin Fired

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Don, Oct 5, 2015.

1. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Zach likes this.
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I don't like this. I think Mangini could end up being a good HC if he's learned how to connect with people better.

3. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Totally agree.

4. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

I too agree. He is a pretty decent guy and he has at least as much football knowledge as half the jokers out there now. Besides he blew the lid off spygate.

5. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Some coaches are good coordinators can make the leap to HC and usually have what it takes right off the bat. Then there are coordinators who just don't have it in their personality to manage the game at the HC level, but are good coordinators who keep fooling teams into giving them chances.

He can sure become a good coach, but he just can't change who he is. This will fail.

6. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

He's never been a great DC, so maybe he will be a better HC?

7. Don

Seems fitting that he goes to Miami so that all three other teams in our division are run by ex Jet coaches.

NY Jets68 and phubbadaman like this.
  8. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You put some weapons around the guy and look out.

9. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Tannenbaum and Mangini in Miami would likely be a disaster. The locker room is already weak there with outsize personalities and prima donna's. Throw Mangini into that mix and things will get toxic in a hurry. Can you envision Suh or any of the prime-time pass rushers watching an old boxing movie and getting enthused?

Tannehill is another problem the Fins have to sort out. He's a quality QB but not a star level player. He's going to need a pretty good team around him to allow him to manage games. The Fins are going to have to establish a very good running game for him. For that Mangini would be perfect, but again can you see him managing that transition smoothly?

Mangini may be one of those guys who has to do both jobs, HC and GM, in order to build the team and keep discipline without having things spin off the tracks. That's a job unlikely to come his way any time soon.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The problem with Miami won't go away until they streamline that front office.

11. GangGreenTay

GangGreenTay Active Member

Yeah lets just forget the smackdown the Bills defense laid on us last season

Dont write them off

12. Burning Elvii

Burning Elvii Well-Known Member

Just like all new espionage coaches who have moved on elsewhere and showed their true results..........nothing but fraud
    Let's make sure we know these guys were just yes men to the Adams / Belicheat coaching machine

Weiss, Crennel, O'Brien, Pees......McDaniels.......they only move in house guys in on the code red. Even the guys there now are figureheads. How bout the year there was no offense and defensive coordinators? This proves my point but no one talks about it.

13. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Did you watch the SF disaster last night? I didn't think so.

I'd so love Mangina at Phags HC.

14. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Mangini isn't he head coach in SF.

You don't think the Mangini/Tannenbaum combo built a strong foundation here?

#74 NotSatoshiNakamoto, Oct 12, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2015
  15. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jets were strong under Mangini? When?

I mean, 10-6, 4-12, 9-7 qualify as [strong foundation] for you?

And while Mangini is not the HC, he is the DC. Isn't this defense his work? Or are you saying Mangini is a puppet in SF? And we should be scared of this puppet? Because he turns into some maniac mastermind once he unites with T-bomb?

16. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Mangini was good at developing players and improving their individual skill sets. He helped develop many of the core pieces Rex used to win with early in his tenure. He developed players nicely in NE which is why he got the job here and despite their lack of success in the standings, he did nice work developing players in Cleveland to a degree. He's good at the individual level in terms of football play.

but he's not good at overall management of a team... He has trouble with motivation, he has trouble seeing the bigger picture, managing personalities, adjusting on the fly, putting together a coaching staff to a degree, staying "fresh".. all the CEO-type aspects of being a HC.

for both those reasons, his pros and cons, he is much better suited as a position coach or coordinator IMO. position coaches focus mostly on player development anyway

i'm not gonna be shaking in my boots if he gets the Miami job- (i don't think he will anyway)

17. Don

Miami is after Payton as are others, I won't be all that worried if they get him either..he was a product of the talent for a long time in NO and not the other way around.

18. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I think they (tannebaum & mangini) built a strong foundation of high character, smart players that Rex was able to take deep into the playoffs. I don't think Mangini was a particularly good coach for us but I also know that people can grown and learn to become stronger in areas they realize they're lacking in. I'm not saying Mangini has done that, but I think he's a smart guy and I think he can do that.

I'm not typically worried about coaches/players leaving to go to a division rival but it would really suck ass if Mangini figured it all out in Miami with a GM he's comfortable with and has chemistry with.

19. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I'd believe Rex Ryan learns how to be a well-rounded head coach before that happens. At least his defense was devastating at one point; Mangini couldn't quite do that with nearly the same personnel.

Mangini literally shit the bed with Cleveland, it's not even funny. He can prove me wrong any time - I don't see that happening.

20. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

Are people ever going to stop misusing the word "literally" ? LOL.

Snatch Catch likes this.