PFT: Leon Washington market could heat up soon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Mar 7, 2010.

1. Kamen

Kamen New Member

If the Pats put the tender on him, they would almost certainly match it

2. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

Holy Shit. We'd be fleecing them.

3. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

IMO no market will heat up.. they've done this (let Leon hit the open market with a 2nd round tender) to show him and the agent that teams aren't nearly as interested to him as Alvin Keels wants the Jets to believe... this is very good for our negotiations... I'm sorry for Leon but with Tanny he chose the wrong guy to mess around for money.

4. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Nobody ever would of expected the Jets to have more draft picks than the Pats this year.

If they pick up Leon that would pretty seal the deal that the Jets are the future dominant team of the AFC east .

Leon would actually be a good fit for the Pats too, but likely not enough to save their franchise.

5. Johnny4

Johnny4 New Member

Supposedly the Jets are putting out info that Leon"s injury was much worse than originally thought. Let's face it, it probably is, considering the 2nd round tender. I'd like to keep him, but wouldn't cry if we got a mid to low 2nd rounder.
    P.S. -Alvin Keels is a moron.

6. GG2000

GG2000 Member

Agree and on a similar line of thought, from ESPN/Football Outsiders:

7. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

No!

Why would we get rid of Leon when we cut Jones? We need depth this would just bring us to one RB(Greene)... that hasn't proved to be the war horse

8. CatoTheElder

^Does anyone actually read the thread before they start firing off?

9. CraigF1210

CraigF1210 Member

I haven't read the entire thread, I mean come on its 5 pages, but I'd love it if someone signed Leon, yes he's a nice player to have, but with all the stars we need to sign long term, we need cheap nice players to fill the gaps, and the best way to do this is with unproven players in draft, if we draft a replacement for Leon, he might not be quite the game breaker, but those extra few million we save can go straight to a Revis extension

in summary, we need to keep the main important guys and sign them to big money, and then surround them with cheap young talent, and if the cheap young talent REALLY pans out and is part of the core, lock them up, if its a nice not not really good player, let them go get overpaid on the market and replace them with someone younger and cheaper

10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

If Leon Washington is healthy he's worth more than a mid 2nd to the 2010 Jets. I guess that's the crux of the problem though, there's no way to know if he is good to go for next season until camp starts and he's either running free and easy or not.

My suspicion is that somebody is indeed going to sign him to a tender the Jets will not want to match and that we'll be looking elsewhere for a piece for the RBBC next season. I really hope it's not the Patriots that bite the bullet. Giving Tom Brady Leon Washington as an outlet is a really scary idea.

11. GreenMatt14

GreenMatt14 Member

You read every page of every thread you have ever posted on.. doubtful

12. CatoTheElder

Who are you?

13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

this is why there's no need to go rb in rds 1-2

14. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

If you're okay with mediocrity, then I guess so. Imagine what a big time running back could do behind our line...

15. CatoTheElder

We need two RBs on this team so, yes, we need to go RB early if we lose Leon.

Even if we do not lose Leon, we still need a RB anyway. Leon is only a change of pace back. Putting him in any other role is what got him injured in the first place and now it would be criminally insane to try and put him back in that role. If the Jets have a shot at Matthews in the first or Gerhart in the second, they should definitely take it.

16. JCotchrocket

JCotchrocket Active Member

I'm curious how quickly another team can sign an RFA.

If I were, say, the Vikings or the Packers, two teams near the bottom of the second who I think would most benefit from adding Leon, I'd want to have a deal in place with the Jets and Leon Washington. If Gerhart (whom I'm presuming will be the fourth back taken) sneaks into the first, I'm calling Mike T. with the contract details, flying in Leon for his physical, signing him, etc.

But maybe there isn't enough time for that in between rounds. I don't know.

All I know is that if we lose Leon, we have to draft a running back in round one. It will be the team's top priority, by a mile. We're officially handcuffed in that scenario. Hopefully it'll be Mathews, but if he's gone, I think we need to reach for Gerhart. Can't take the chance that he's gone by our second round pick.

17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

At this point, taking Toby Gerhart in the first would be a major reach. If Mathews is gone and the Jets are set on taking a running back early, then they should trade out of the first and take Gerhart then.

I think we'll see CJ Spiller end up with the Seahawks early, but Mathews and Best should last until the 20s. I think Montario Hardesty has moved ahead of Toby Gerhart after a strong combine.

#97 Mr Electric, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010
  18. ........

........ Trolls

No. There is not enough time between rounds to full execute an RFA signing.

19. ........

........ Trolls

Agreed. I'd love to trade back regardless unless Matthews or Graham is there OR Leon goes.

20. ........

........ Trolls

:rofl:

God bless you.