PFT: Leon Washington market could heat up soon

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetfanmack, Mar 7, 2010.

1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'm sure his douchebag agent is demanding 8+ million a year plus a handjob.

2. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Yea there will be some really talents backs left in the 2nd round. A bunch with their injury issues that maybe we could take a homerun chance on and draft us another shonn.

3. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

If he resigns the handjob becomes a blowjob.

4. ........

........ Trolls

The best part of the tender offered is that if no one signs him to an offer sheet, it completely undermines Keels and his ridiculous contract demands. Look at all the posturing he's done recently. Either we get a 2nd rounder for a 28 year old back with a shaky prospect of full health, or we get Leon at a fair price. It's win win. I love where they tendered him.

5. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

That all depends on whether the Jets get a solid HB or a defensive player in the draft for him.

6. ........

........ Trolls

Possibly, but I think it has more to do with how horrible the contract negotiations were last year. This draft is so loaded that we might as well br tendering him at a first. Without using the lower tender, though, you don't provide as much incentive to seek a deal if no other teams bite. If we protected him with a 1st or 1st and 3rd, we may have just been in a horrible situation next year with Keels.

7. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

It all comes down to...

Is Washington someone we can get some value out of now, and can live without in the future?

To me, that answer is, absolutely.

We have already proven that we can go the distance without Neon Leon in our backfield. This draft is going to be huge for us, and if we can restock these draft picks that we have lost, then it is a no brainer to me. This is crucial, and I honestly hope this deal gets done.

I loved having Washington on this team... He has been amazing for us, but I think him moving on to another team would be beneficial for both parties.

8. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I understand he's coming off of a serious injury, but I think a lot of us are forgetting how much of a playmaker he was for this team on offense and special teams...

In my mind, it's a no-brainer to match an offer sheet rather than lose him and get a 2nd round pick.

9. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I just can't see a team ready to part with a 2nd round pick for a guy coming off a compound fracture of the most important part of his body. He'll be back next season. I'm not going to pretend I know this draft as well as Mr. E or WW, or GM, but what team is willing to take a gamble in a draft that these 3 absolutely love?? Especially the first 2 rounds. Please name the team that takes this gamble.....

10. IIMeanDeanII

Playmaker he is, but he isn't crucial to this offense. We will need another playmaker, but I think we can find someone just as important, and younger if we opt to get rid of, Washington.

11. IIMeanDeanII

Dude.. It just takes one team to fall in love with him. That's all it takes. This isn't the biggest "gamble" I have ever seen taken. Far from it.

12. CatoTheElder

CatoTheElder 2009 Comeback Poster of the Year

I think that is going to be the key word. Even if he does make a full recovery, it is going to take longer than one offseason to do so. If someone wants him now, let him go. I guarantee we would not renew his contract in 2011 when we have to offer new deals to Revis, Mangold, Brick and Harris.

13. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

Al Davis aside, it is a gamble and like others have said before, the draft is loaded with good HBs, so a lower 2nd is still going to net a decent back if thats what we used the pick for.

14. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Did you see his injury?? I'm sure you did. Why the hell is 85 percent of this message board ready to say fuck it and let him walk for a 2nd round pick?? What do think the league thinks of an immediate and successful recovery, if a bunch of fans have their doubts? They ready to give up a 2nd rounder?? Just my opinion, you might not agree with me and you don't have to, but yeah, that's a bit of a gamble.

15. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

This. thank you.

16. IIMeanDeanII

It is absolutely a gamble. It could cripple a running backs career, no question. I don't see that as a concern for the Jets though, at all. We have all seen how much of a playmaker LW is, and a team might think a 2nd round pick is well worth the risk.

If a team thinks it is worth the risk, we should be willing to accept it for what it is. We all are concerned that LW is never going to be the same, so if you can get some value out of him now, you have to pull the trigger. This draft is just to important not to.

17. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I agree with you, I just don't see any team willing to do it. The draft is relatively deep at his position and there are some FAs out there for the bottom 24 teams to look at. IMHO a 2nd rounder for Leon is a lot to ask. We as fans, and other teams in our division can see that he's a dynamic player, but there are a lot of teams that probably just see him as a returner, right or wrong. It's a no lose situation for us, and that I do agree with, too. Got absolutely no problem with a recovering Leon on our roster.

18. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

Toby Gerhart should be around when we're on the clock in the second round. If he's there, and we don't go running back in the first round, then I think drafting Gerhart is a no brainer.

19. dcm1602

dcm1602 Member

Cmon Mangini do us one last favor !

Curious what people would think of the Patriots picking him up ?

There really arent many teams who look like good candidates to grab him.

Pats, Browns, Chargers, and maybe Tampa are my best guess.

20. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

The Philadelphia Eagles and the Minnesota Vikings are probably the two teams that make the most sense. The Niners are also looking for a scat back.

The Eagles lost Westbrook and the Vikes lost Taylor.

San Diego is bringing back Sproles, so trading for Washington wouldn't make sense.

The Browns are happy with Jerome Harrison. They want to bring in a power back to compliment him.

Tampa Bay would make sense if Clifton Smith wasn't on their roster. He's one of the best return men in the league.

#60 Mr Electric, Mar 7, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2010