Peyton the answer?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DemoIsland, Nov 15, 2011.

1. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Assuming the Jets finish 8-8/9-7, they will probably be picking in the 15-19 range (based on current standing). To move up to 1 would take more than 2 1st's and Sanchez (who probably has little trade value at this point) in a normal year. But when you are looking at the best qb prospect since Manning, and maybe Elway (2 of the top 10 qb's in NFL history), you have to even trade more. So, it would take 2 1st's, and then an assortment of 2nd's, 3rd's and 4th's to get Luck. And no matter how good his potential is, he is still not a certainty. So, its much better to just sign Manning once he gets cut. The Jets will probably be the best team in line for a qb (assuming Alex Smith goes nowhere after a great season for his team), and if he really wants to win another SB, this will be his best chance with several play-makers on offense, and a SB caliber defense.

You add Manning, another pass catching TE, another wr, a RT, a safety and a pass rusher, and this team would have a legit shot at 14+ wins and a SB.

2. DbaJets

DbaJets New Member

A couple of things about this board became evident to me after reading this thread.

1) there are a lot of people who dont understand the point of a message board. TO DISCUSS SHIT. That includes what if scenarios, even if they seem far fetched. Fuck Sanchez, I enjoy talking about replacing his shitty ass, even if it is a pipe dream. Disagree, but stop whining about how this thread blows and attacking the OP.

2)There are a lot of posters here with seriously low self esteem or no balls. The same people who worshiped mediocrity (like Pennington), will say that any move that will improve this team "cant be done" or is impossible! Winners dont think that way. IF (and I admit it is a big if) Manning really could help this team next year, then a winner thinks how can we make this work. Nothing is impossible to men with a fucking sack. At least try to make moves. I dont give a fuck what he made this year, he's already shown a willingness to take a pay cut when he feels it is the right thing to do. Maybe he comes here for less $. Peyton Manning with a broken neck >>>>>>>>>>Sanchez.

3) Why is everyone surprised Schottenhiemer and Eric Smith are bad? They've always been bad. OT, but it had to be said.

Sorry guys /end rant.

3. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

Thank you.

I am sick and tired of the mediocrity. Sanchez gets the consolation prize of making millions in spite of playing poorly. We fans do not get ANY consolation. I don't owe a thing to this organization, they owe everything to us. We show up to games in spite of the fact that they charge outrageous amounts of money for tickets, parking, food, PSLs, etc. We buy their jerseys, clothes, hats, whatever. And now we finally have a team that actually has the talent to go all the way and it is being derailed by a sheltered QB and an OC who can't use the talent he has. So yes, I hope that Manning becomes a FA or is trade and I hope we get him, becuase I want to win NOW. I don't want to sit around for the next several years with hope that Sanchez plays to an average level.

4. nyJETS0511

nyJETS0511 Banned

please rid of RR.....and obtain Peyton as our COACH would make a lot of sense

5. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Well said.

I agree with every word you just said. Manning at 50% is literally a million times the qb that a healthy Sanchez is. And anyone who doesn't want to discuss Manning simply couldn't care less about winning football...

6. SoFl JetsLoyal

SoFl JetsLoyal New Member

Absolutly! he semss to do it with every other QB he gets his hands on.

7. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

If the Jets got Peyton Manning he would be their offensive coordinator too.

8. Rex's Sweater Vest

Yes, two birds one stone. Peyton fixes the offense and the poor QB play.

9. GrindHouse

GrindHouse Member

How much might we have to give up to get Manning vs trading the Colts for their number 1 draft pick(Luck)?

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

And the OL play while he's at it too. (He will see the coverage and immediately audible the blocking scheme if he doesn't see it fit.) Also, Keller will become highly productive, a la Dallas Clark and (gulp!) that google-TE named Tamme.

Getting Peyton solves more than one offensive issue there.

If Jets do take Manning, that will give them about 3-4 year window to restock the team. Getting Braylon is more than enough to get the offense rolling: he will have Braylon and Keller running down the field, with Kerley and Holmes attacking underneath. (Holmes will be more of intermediate threat, the most dangerous one out of all 4.) So during that 4 year window, Jets must address: OLBs, Safeties, OLs, and stud RB.

While he is there, Jets should do well to get their hands on competent offense personnel. I do think, however, WR coach to say the least is doing an adequate job. Jets do need a better QB coach and OC - that's a given. I don't know about OL coach and RB coach. Once the offensive coaching staff is set, then taking a smart QB with 1st round pick is the next thing to do; he can learn sitting behind Peyton for 3 years.

#290 Zach, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  11. FloridaJetsFan

I don't understand all this Manning talk.....it doesn't make sense to me. What makes everybody think that Indy is just going to let him go. And if they do maybe it'll be because they know that his career is over due to his neck injury. Do we want the Jets to mortgage their future for a QB that one hit away from retirement?

Anyone can see that Manning means everything to Indy....they are not going to let them leave and put in Luck to get killed. If I owned Indy and drafted Luck I would let him sit for a couple of years and learn from the best (Manning). Plus, How many times have we seen some great college QB get drafted and turn out to be a bust (Leaf, Carr, Alex Smith) There is no guarantee that Luck is going to be a superstar.

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I guess nobody will throw anything worthwhile. There is no way Colts carry both Luck and Manning on the roster and bottle up nearly 40 million dollars on two guys. If Luck is drafted, then Manning will be cut.

13. IATA

IATA Trolls

what the fuck? are you serious?

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

But that's what Indy did in Manning's early years too. See how that turned out. Moreover, Manning voiced his opinion on this already; he said that Luck should start from day 1 - meaning if Colts do get Luck, then Manning wants out.

15. Rex's Sweater Vest

The Colts cannot keep manning on the roster, pay Luck, and get a team that can win around either of them at the same time. Peyton manning is getting paid 19 million a year. Thats 1/5 of the entire cap. Even with Manning they are not a contender, the best decision would be to free up that 19 million, and get pieces around Luck in order to rebuild, if they don't they are getting Manning with a crappy team, more crappy than usual, and a huge talent sitting on the bench. Without Manning, they toss luck in immediately with a weak division and can get other pieces around him with that 19 million that would otherwise not be there, and perhaps pieces or draft picks in a potential trade involving Manning if he consents to be traded.

Do we want to mortgage our future on a QB one hit away from retirement?

If this is the alternative to mortgaging our future on Sanchez, then yes, without a doubt. I would take Peyton Manning playing on a peg leg over Sanchez.

16. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

The Jets have invested way too much in Mark Sanchez to simply throw him away at the end of the season. Not going to happen.

17. FloridaJetsFan

But should they rely on a QB with a bad neck....Indy will never just cut Manning. They will want the house for him.... are you willing the give away a ton of draft picks.

How about maybe changing OC and seeing if Sanchez is really a bust.

18. FloridaJetsFan

How are they not a contender? Are you telling me that Indy wouln't be in the payoffs this year if Manning wasn't hurt.

And you wanna bring in a QB with a bad neck....give him 19 million and put him behind that offensive line with Hunter and Slauson?

19. FloridaJetsFan

So we are comparing Luck to Manning already....there are no guarantees that Luck can handle that offense like Manning.

20. DeutschlandFan

DeutschlandFan New Member

What you just said makes no sense from a business standpoint. At this point it's a sunk cost. Just because a lot has already been invested doesn't mean that you continue to invest more when it becomes clear that you made a mistake in the first place.
    In other words, when you find yourself in a hole, stop digging.