Peyton the answer?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by DemoIsland, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Miamipuck

Miamipuck New Member

^^^^this^^^^

2. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

Would You Trade For Peyton Manning & Make Sanchez A Backup?

I honestly don't think we have the chips to trade for Peyton, so this discussion is more philosophical than practical. That being said...

Are we still in a win now situation where we would be better off with a QB like Peyton Manning or is this team still young enough to not mortgage the future by bringing in Peyton - and should stick with Mark instead?

3. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

I'm pretty sure we could trade for Asomugha.

4. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Shittenheimer would find a way to make Peyton Manning an average QB.

5. Poeman

Poeman Well-Known Member

Peyton would come here and Schotty would convince him to dink and dunk around the field, not to mention peyton will lose his ability to throw 30+ yard balls.

6. deathstar

deathstar Well-Known Member

How the hell was Shotty considered for a HC job by the Bills?

7. DeutschlandFan

DeutschlandFan New Member

I think that this team was at it's peak in 2009 with the #1 defense and #1 running game. Last year the defense and running game weren't as dominant but still championship caliber. This year is the same. The window of opportunity for this team as it is constructed is closing rapidly and I think that if they cannot win it all this year or next (and maybe 1 more year after that) the opportunity will be gone. That being said, if I could get an above-average to elite QB here who is capable of putting points on the board (for us!) this off season I would take all reasonable measures to make it happen.

8. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

The problem with this team is that you cannot keep wasting the prime years of Revis, Mangold, Harris, Brick, Tone, etc.. with bad play by the qb. Manning has probably 3-4 years left, and this team is built to win in that time frame. So, the Jets have to get an answer on Sanchez. If they think he is the answer, fine, go forward. If not, than they have to go get Manning, and give themselves the best chance to win over the next 3-5 years.

I am not sure what the cap hit for Sanchez would be to cut him (since I am assuming just benching him would waste too much cap space), or what the Colts will do with Manning, but if Manning is available, and the team determines that Sanchez is basically David Carr, they have to do all they can to get Manning here next year.

9. Rex's Sweater Vest

Rex's Sweater Vest Active Member

Without a doubt yes. Are you kidding me? That's like saying are you willing to drive a Lamborghini and let your Prius sit in the garage for a few years. Let Mark learn from one of the best ever instead of learning from Clemens and Brunell, and when Peyton retires after a few years hopefully Mark can come back better. Vince Young was benched for a season in 2008 and came back to play well in 2009.

But the thing is, the Colts can't trade Peyton unless his contract is changed. The only thing the colts can do under his current contract is release him to save money, and if they do that they save a bunch of dead money. If the Colts draft Luck, peyton will most likely be released rather than traded. Then it would be Peyton's choice on where to go, and if I were him I would want to come here, good defense (something he never has had) Super Bowl MVP at WR and good pass catching TE in Keller as disappointing as Greene has been, McKnight looks promising, and both of them are better than what Peyton had in Indy with Addai. I also think Peyton is really PO'd about how Brady is held up so much higher than he is by so many, I think he would love the oppourtunity to face off against him twice a year here and show everyone what he can do when he actually has a good supporting cast around him like Tom Brady has had.

He has very few other options: Buff just signed Fitz, Minnesota committed to ponder, he would never go to Tennessee who drafted Locker anyways. San Fran seems to be content with Alex Smith.

The only candidates that come to mind are Washington, Miami, and New York. And if its Peyton's choice, I think its obvious. Washington is a dump, and they have to compete with 3 teams demonstratively better than them, they have no receivers, no run game, they are a mess. Miami is a joke, nowhere near sniffing the playoffs let alone the SB. Peyton will want to go to a team where he can simply walk in the door and have the team be a serious contender for the SB, and the only legit landing place is here, feel free to disagree but where else is he going to go? He is either staying in Indy and STARTING, or he is going elsewhere.

#269 Rex's Sweater Vest, Nov 18, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  10. DeutschlandFan

I'm pretty sure that Peyton would laugh his ass off at anything Schotty told him to do.

11. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

In February, the Colts have to decide whether to exercise a $28 million option on Manning's contract. That's a lot of money and a sizable cap hit, if the intention is to keep Manning just one more season. But there's another hitch: If you pay the option, you can then trade him for a mother lode of talent. If you don't pay the option, he's released and becomes a free agent -- so you get nothing in return but avoid the money hit.

http://www.indystar.com/article/201...Kravitz-Manning-era-over-Time-ponder-next-QB-

12. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Yeah, if Manning came here Tom Moore would probably be the "OC." But, even if Schotty wasn't fired, it doesn't matter, Manning calls his own plays, and does what he wants on offense. In other words, he is the perfect qb even if Schotty is your OC.

13. milo

milo Well-Known Member

If Peyton hangs it up can we just throw 10 mill a year at him to be our OC???

Best of both worlds...

14. Rex's Sweater Vest

The thing is with this, Peyton has all of the leverage. The Colts FO respects him enough to allow him to pick the place where he wants to go play, they are not going to simply sell him to the highest bidder, they are going to do what the Eagles did with McNabb. The Eagles respect the service McNabb gave them enough to give McNabb a choice of where to go, he told them he did not want to go to the raiders, and they honored that and sent him to a division rival instead.

15. Cakes

Cakes Mr. Knowledge 2010

Sanchez does suck, but it is doubtful the Jets would acquire manning. Jason Campbell would be easier to obtain.

Can we stop with the four road playoff wins shit? Jake Delhomme also won four road playoff games. I am not sure Sanchez is better than Delhomme ever was. Also, the Jets played road games in the playoffs the last two years because Sanchez was not good enough to get the Jets to play at home.

16. Rex's Sweater Vest

This ^,

Those four road playoff wins belong to Rex and the defense not to Sanchez. Sanchez didn't hold Manning to 16 points, or Brady to 14 (+7 in garbage time) or the Chargers to a season low 14, or make Carson look like a rookie. Sanchez arguably made it harder for us to win @ SD and @ INDY I will give him props for good performances @ NEW and @ CIN.

17. Rockefella

Rockefella Trolls

What's the point? He'd lead the Jets to a decade of mediocrity. Either the Jets make a play at a big-time QB or you ride it out with Nacho. I'd like to see him play without Schotty first though.

18. milcus

milcus Well-Known Member

Yeah, this Sanchez is a playoff winner stuff gets old. Any NFL qb could have done that with this team. But, his fumble for 6 was the difference against an inferior Pitt team, and his inability to do anything after Greene got hurt in Indy was the difference in Indy.

The guy is trash, and the sooner the team realizes that and cuts their losses, the sooner this team can actually be a legit Superbowl contender.

19. Boba Jett

Boba Jett Member

How about we trade Sanchez and our next two first rounders for Luck to the Colts. Fire shotty, get the best free agent lineman we can. Maybe trade up with our other picks for a pass rusher and we are superbowl bound.

20. DeutschlandFan

I would take Peyton Manning's neck - just his neck - right now over Sanchez.