Pete Prisco picks the most overrated and underrated players on each team...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Double Zero, Jun 2, 2007.

1. DonnieIsTheKing

DonnieIsTheKing Active Member

Agreed. Pennington > Vick

2. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

Yes, but no team will ever win a superbowl because of Chad Pennington.

At least not this version. Its kind of sad watching him now, remembering how dominant he was when he stepped in during the 2002 season, before his injuries.

3. Namath2Kolber

Namath2Kolber New Member

I liked the article but I agree that Chad isn't overrated. No one is calling him a top 10 QB and most sports gurus just make fun of his weak arm and concede that he is smart. But no one really sings his praises in the media.

In my opinion, the most overrated player on the Jets is Johnny Vilma. He didn't have a very good season last year but he's still the star of the defense. I hope he can bounce back this season but, right now, I think he's overrated. Most underrated is Laverneus Coles. Ask the average NFL fan to list the top 10 WRs in the league and he probably won't make the list but he absolutely should.

4. jetbugga

jetbugga Member

its pre-season !

5. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

with the exception of Palmer, all the guys i listed have either played in or won a Superbowl. none of them have weak arms and i doubt any of them are morons. it's possible to have a smart, strong-armmed QB.

what i dont get is, if chad is so smart and cerebral and compensates for his arm deficiencies with his brain, why did he throw 17 TD's and 16 INT's? you'd think someone so smart wouldn't throw 1 INT for each TD; it seems the arm is pretty limiting.

cheers

6. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

He's closer to underrated than overrated because a lot of people just look at the numbers, and he played much better than the numbers last year. A lot of people don't appreciate the little things he did last year that don't show up in the stats sheet.

Whether he's underrated or not depends on what source you are listening too, but he's certainly not overrated.

7. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Here's why: We had no running game, nada........Chad feeds off the running game, he is just that type of Play action type qb that needs a running game to be at his best.....If you noticed, Chad threw the ball alot more than he used to in the Herm/Curtis days last season because it was the only way we were moving the ball the majority of the season....Again, he is at his best throwing a little less per game.....Add this to the fact he was in a brand new system AND coming off a major shoulder sugury........And it's easy to see why his INT's were up higher than usual

I expect Chad to have a much better year INT-wise this season FWIW.......main reasons are Thomas Jones, Healthy offseason for Chad, and 2nd year in the same offensive system, and same WR's

8. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

I think he threw the ball fine last year.

It's more the defense adjusting than him not physically being able to do the job.

In fact, he's light years better at throwing the deep ball now than he was in 2002. Not even close, I don't know if he connected on one in 2002.

Defenses take away the middle of the field now more on him than they did then. He has to throw to the sidelines more where he's not as strong at.

9. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

Not to mention that 2 or 3 of his INTs were irrelevant heaves in hopeless situations...

10. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Hid #s obviosuly wren't grat last year but remember he was playing in a new system, rehabbing all last offseason, had no running game and 2 rookies on the OL and w/ all that he still led us to 10 wins.

Vinny was still capable in '02 and '03 and w/ him we went 3-8.

11. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

While Chad is pretty average, if you heard people killing Chad's arm especially on that ESPN game last year you'd know that there is no way Chad is overrated

12. GreenMachine

How many rings for McNabb, McNair, Hasselbeck? The same as Chad.

And Ben is extremely over hyped. The Pitt D and the Run game won that SB. Ben was just along for the ride. Alot like Dilfer.

13. nyjunc

I disaree about Ben, he was great in the AFC playoffs though he wasn't good in the SB and Cowher had great D's for a long time that could never get over the hump until ben got there. I think he's a bit underrated.

14. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I have to agree with this. He also always seems to come up with big plays in clutch moments to help his team get the "W".

15. GreenMachine

You have got to be kidding!!!!

Vs the Jets he was 17 of 30 with 1 TD and 2 INTs 181 yards..

You call that great?!!??

Vs NE he was 14 of 24 with 2 TDs and 3 INTs for 226 yards and a fumble

He flat out blew.

16. JETFAN stranded in DC

How does being called "Noodle Arm" qualify as overrated?

17. nyjunc

I was talking about their SUPER BOWL YEAR. Ben was bothered by a thumb injury and it was his first playoff appearance but in 2005:

14-19, 208 yds, 3 Tds 0 INT at Cincy
    14-24, 197 yds 2 TDs, 1 INT PLUS game saving tackle at Indy
    21-29, 275 yds, 2 TDs, 0 INt at Denver

Overall: 49-72, 68%, 680 yds, 7 TDs, 1 INT, 124.7 rating

That's not bad right?

#37 nyjunc, Jun 4, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2007
  18. jetbugga

jetbugga Member

saying chad is overrated is a farce. it's another cheap shot towards him and jet fans. chad is a winner and a loves competing and has proven he can take us to the playoffs when healthy. now i say coles is overrated just because i believe he lacks consistency in his game. when coles is on fire watch out but as the season progresses, you hardly see him during the later part of the season. b. thomas, well if given the opportunity to play more games, he can create havoc and has the speed to rush the passer.

19. HCoftheNYJ

HCoftheNYJ New Member

I don't get how it was a cheap shot towards Jets fans. he was picking one underrated and one overrated player from each team. So he was disrespecting every team?

20. jets94nj

jets94nj Active Member

under- cotchery up until now hes been noticed but he will never get the credit he deserves as long as guys like t.o. chad johnson, wayne. harrison, fitz, are around he will never be much heard of.
    over- vilma I love the guy but he was nothing special last year. he was nothing more than average.