Pete Prisco picks the most overrated and underrated players on each team...

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Double Zero, Jun 2, 2007.

1. Double Zero

Double Zero Member

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10205109

I'm not sure I agree with this. It's hard to say that we have an overrated player on the team. I guess if he had to pick one, it'd have to be the quarterback?

I do agree that Kerry Rhodes is extremely underrated. However, if he performs like he did last season, that won't be a problem in the future.

Best part of the article is his naming Joey Porter the most overrated player in the NFL. :finssuck:

2. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 2018 Funniest Member Award Winner

I've gotten to the point where I don't read anything Prisco writes anymore, I just go straight to the insults.

3. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Pennington is far from overrated. I'm pretty much the viewing public has him pegged correctly. Not terrible, but not great either. Prisco reached for that one. Betcha haven't heard that before. :)

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I agree completely - I think most NFL observers put Chad in the middle of the pack of NFL starters, and that's about right.

To be honest, I would have expected the choice to be Vilma - I don't necessarily feel that way, but he's a natural candidate as someone with a big reputation who didn't have that great a season last year.

5. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

pennington is overrated....by jets fans. pennington is a pretty average qb....exceptionally smart, but physically hes overmatched.

rhodes is a pimp....i love watching him play on sundays.

6. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Pennington is UNDERRATED by jets fans and all fans. jet fans don't appreciate him but all he does is win when he's healthy but jet fans want a strong armed QB- you know a Ryan leaf, Patrick ramsey type.

7. JoeJet

JoeJet Banned

With the right personnel, Pennington could qb a Super Bowl winning team. A dominating defense, a qb who does not make mistakes, and just enough smart offensive plays can do that.

8. Chadwick747

Chadwick747 New Member

I dont know that Pennington is overrated. In order to be overrated there has to be a segment of people out there gushing over the guy and while that might have been true in 2002, I doubt that now. I'd have to agree with most of the other posters in that it seems the public has the right beat on the guy: good, but not great; very smart but not a top athlete.

I don't know if the Jets are high-profile enough to have someone who is markedly lauded as a top talent. Pennington and Coles aren't winning any NFL popularity contests. A case could be made that Curtis Martin is probably the most recognizable Jet on the roster. So finding a overrated player in the traditional sense would be hard.

Of course by not being a high-profile team there are many underrated players by virtue of not getting that big exposure. I'm not sure Kerry Rhodes is one of them though. There was a big to do about his Pro Bowl snubbing, and Mike Greenberg talks about him enough to warrant national exposure. I'd nominate Nick Mangold or Leon Washington. Although it's hard to be labeled as underrated in only your second year.

9. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Dumb – I don’t think there is a public perception outside of this board that Chad Pennington is anything more than an average quarterback.

10. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I think the general perception of CP is that he 'could' have been a lot better had he not had such hampering injuries to his money maker.
    Another Pete Pricso first

11. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

no, actually more like a McNabb, Manning, Palmer, Roethlesberger, Brady, McNair, Hasselbeck, Favre type -- you know, the successful ones.

cheers

12. gustoonarmy

I would much prefer a smart intelligent thinking QB with a weaker arm than a moron with a canon , who just puts the D back out on the field.

13. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

dude, i like chad, i pull for the guy every sunday....i want him to be great. but if you face reality, even for one min, and cut the homer stuff you would see whats actually there. chad ability to think has been his biggest asset. hes a second teir qb at best....we had this whole discussion in a diff thread like a week ago, because there were some homers who had their nut in a bunch because chad wasnt rated in the top 10....long story short, chad is in the 15-20 range....

i dont get how anyone can realistically look at the player and see greatness....greatness is manning and brady.....chad is good....but he is far from great. he is physically overmatched, and no matter how smart he is its just not enough.

btw, i dont hate chad, i have his jersey.....im just grounded in a little thing called reality.

14. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

He is a winner and winning is what this game is about.

Jets w/ Chad since 2002: 31-22, 3 po appearances, 2 trips to div rd, 1 div title
    Jets w/o Chad since 2002: 8-19

That's all we need to know. he hasn't always had the help he needs, hne won a div title w/ Coles in '02then lost his favorite target ad we were back in the div rd in '04. When Chad's healthy he's a top QB in this game despite the overblown arm issues.

Where did I say Chad was "greatness"? he's not in a league w/ manning and Brady and no one else is either but Chad is near the top, when healthy, of the best of the rest group and you don't need an all-time great QB to win championsips.

15. German Jets Fan

German Jets Fan 2007 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Most underrated = Baker/Barton

Most overrated = Kendall/Leon

16. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

17 TDs and 16 INTS. I wonder if this will change this year when Penny has an actual top tier running back behind him.

I'd love to know Pennington's QB rating when Curtis Martin started versus when Martin didn't start.

TBTF

17. jetbugga

jetbugga Member

overrated-coles
    underrated-b thomas

18. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

Now that's controversial...

19. gustoonarmy

Beat me too it.

Love an explanation pls?

20. KOWIE

KOWIE Active Member

sure those numbers are glaring....but they are also misleading....lets remember that westarted brooks bollinger who was a big part in those losses....

im not saying you need to be 'great' to get to/win a SB....but chad needs an offense to execute perfectly to excel.