Per PFT - jets told robby they want him back

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Jan 30, 2020.

1. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

All those teams you mentioned haven’t had the drafts the jets have had the last 5 (could go back longer but don’t have to) years. There’s a difference in letting bell go when you have brown,juju,Ben to cover for it and letting your best wr walk with out a viable option. To be a gm that knows how to manage talent first you have to have talent. I can’t wait to be in the position to let good players walk. We’re not there yet.
    4 yrs 13mil is exactly what I would pay. On pace with T Williams of the chargers with a bump for inflation.

#181 FJF, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
    Red Menace and Imagesrdecieving like this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's 4 years , $52 million, and it would be a terrible idea for Robby Anderson. damn, I shudder at stuff like that. thank God you guys aren't running the Jets
    --

I think you are referring to Tyrell Williams who signed with the Raiders last offseason. That was a 4 year $44 million contract, so considerably less than what you wanna throw at Anderson and the raiders are already regretting it.

#182 BrowningNagle, Feb 10, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2020
  3. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

And you give him all of his guaranteed money up front. Then he's on the roster for at least two years and we draft a receiver to play on the outside on the other side.

We then have a formidable passing attack. Or we let him walk, and trap ourselves into taking a first round receiver and watch a rookie and Darnold try to figure it out for another season while he has one receiver left he legitimately worked with last year.

If you can guarantee me that we fix the offensive line and Jeudy is going to be there at 11 in the draft then I'd be a little bit more open to it. But as it presently stands it just makes sense to bring back the #2 receiver that works well with our young quarterback.

4. BrowningNagle

he will be making $13 million a year under that proposal. fuck, he better "work well with the young quarterback" at that price.

I disagree that he works well with Darnold anyway. He's got like a ~50% catch rate, that's quite inefficient

5. Jonathan_Vilma

You can ask GasedAndConfused as we went back and forth a lot this season. I'm with you on Robby Anderson being vastly overrated by this fan base and not at all worth the money. His catch rate is terrible and he is awful at anything working back to the ball as well as any sort of 50/50 ball that's not thrown out in front of him.

However, the Sanchez 2011 to 2012 situation is what I'm most worried about with him leaving. We changed over Sanchez's entire starting cast to save money. And it hurt his development a ton.

Sam's had the shittiest supporting cast in the league the past two years. I don't want to reduce that. I'd rather overpay for a mediocre receiver that he's used to throwing the ball to (even if inefficient) than save $3-4 million at the position by going older and slower, and sign a better corner.

Emmanual Sanders is nice. He'll be 33 at the start of next season. I'd imagine he's going to hit a sharp decline next season similar to what players like Roddy White, Demaryus Thomas, Andre Johnson, etc. All experienced.

Vida, Mogriffjr and CotcheryFan like this.
  6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

There's definitely a "hometown inflation factor" that many Jets fans subconsciously have (maybe some consciously) that leads them to overrate our players. Even the years we went to the AFCCG those teams played above their actual talent and caught some breaks, but they were not what I would consider true SB-caliber teams, and that was proven by the fact that in the end they didn't get there. And those teams are the best we've had in over 20 years!

I am really hoping that Douglas, coming from the organizations he's been in and hopefully learned from, changes this. We'll soon find out.

7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I share your concern about a Sanchez Redux, but I don't think the situation is the same. For one thing we're not talking about letting ALL the skill players walk, just RA, and for another, Darnold is much better than Sanchez and more able to adapt to new talent.

The biggest need for this team, by far, is upgrading the OL. That has to be where the money is invested. Upgrading the WR spot can be done with less expensive FAs and the draft.

chandler likes this.
  8. Jonathan_Vilma

It's slightly different but figure we're already bringing in at least three new offensive lineman this offseason potentially including a new center. Anderson walks and Crowder shreds his knee and we suddenly have essentially five new receivers for Darnold. I do think he's much better and it's a different situation because Sanchez had a good cast reduced and this garbage will likely be improved no matter what.

I guess I'm just concerned about walking into 2020 with as much firepower as possible. I don't think Anderson is worth it but the only receivers left in FA I like are RFA's (Keelan Cole, Tim Patrick) or too expensive (Cooper, Green).

9. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Neutral move? Probably not far off looking at the present, the future is the problem. Lots of money? About two million probably. You're giving away six years, a little height and a little weight for that and everybody here complains about how fragile Anderson is. You're giving up a guy on the field for 91% of snaps for a guy with 77%; that's not going up at the age of 33.

Vida, Imagesrdecieving, K'OB and 3 others like this.
  10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

We really don't know this yet, but gotta be careful replacing the Jerricho Cotcherys with the Derrick Masons if you catch my drift. You want players that genuinely want to be here

11. BrowningNagle

there isn't any Jerricho Cotchery's on this roster to begin with.

12. 101GangGreen101

Homegrown talent that puts up decent #s? AND wants to be here? You don't throw away years worth of chemistry / young talent for Emmanuel Sanders, a guy on the downside of his career. Its funny cause Cotchery had some really good years after he left. He wasnt a star by any means but made plays.

Red Menace and FJF like this.
  13. BrowningNagle

Cotchery was a reliable target and good route runner. Anderson is neither. they really aren't comparable players.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  14. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

U just dont grasp it I said that the NYJs should explore the FA market before making any decision on Robbie. End of story & ALWAYS remember that it is the upmost job of the GM as strong as possible which U seem to be against even if there are stronger that MAY be out there when FA takes effect. Since U IMHO U must be in the lower level having FB smarts I am totally finished with this matter. :mad:

15. 101GangGreen101

Robby is 10x the deep threat Cotchery was and opens things up underneath. This isn't about playing styles, this is about letting proven homegrown talent leave only to replace that player with an old veteran on their last legs. Ala Cotchery / Derrick Mason.

16. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

That moron also has us trading Bell and a 4th to the Bucs for a 7th round pick to clear cap space.

Trading our 2nd and 5th or 6th for Judon when the FA class at edge is stacked.

Point is, guy doesn't know what he's talking about BUT replacing Robby with Sanders works for me. I'd probably go after Demarcus Robinson as well to add another vertical threat.

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

thats the conversation, not whatever you tried to say in that last post of yours. If you would have opened with that somewhat comprehensible and yet still 13 y.o. girlish style text we wouldn’t t be here today.

K'OB and NYJFOREVER like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

so you cite ONE example, but you acknowledge it’s not a good one. Okaaaay then

Again, teams let “homegrown talent” walk all the time in this league. Sometimes they are even better for it. Robby Anderson is not a player we should worry about losing

19. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

Clearly run out of meds again.

FJF likes this.
  20. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

if he's not worth it then you don't sign him. We need to be disciplined with $$ because we're in a capped league. As others have mentioned, there are a lot of good teams, that have let good players walk because the $$ was wrong

personally i think Sam would develop a lot better with a player who catches the ball better; RA has too many flaws for that money. Does anyone remember Dave Kingman (Mets etc.) he hit a lot of homeruns; that didn't make him a good player or good hitter.

We are getting biased by the fact that (a) we drafted him (b) he far outperformed his UDFA status (c) he's fast and (d) we need firepower. None of those justify overpaying especially for RA where you could just as easily expect an I'm-going-to-do-that-thing-to-your-wife incident as you can expect him to develop into a well rounded, consistent receiver. If I thought RA's trajectory was unquestionably upward, I'd feel differently. If other teams that thought his trajectory were unquestionably upward he would have been moved before the trading deadline.