Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

yes, I don't disagree with that statement. Often times Morningwood did go whole stretches of games where he abandoned the run. He'd run the ball a lot early with decent success, then forget about it for awhile until the game was almost out of reach then he'd get back to running it.

case in point the Detroit loss

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

we need balance, the tempting thing for Gailey would be to throw more b/c of all the weapons in the pass game but we have some good backs and we need to be more balanced than run heavy or pass heavy.

3. BrowningNagle

Gailey always ran balanced offenses wherever he was. so let's see. I agree with your assessment

nyjunc likes this.
  4. Jay Bizniss

Jay Bizniss Well-Known Member

Chris Ivory needs to be the focal point of this offense if Geno hopes to achieve and sort of success this season.

5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

On a roster with Eric Decker and Brandon Marshall, making Chris Ivory the focal point is not a wise idea. Unless you mean use the receivers to open up holes for the RBs, in which I case I'd rather have Ridley or Powell in the game. I still wish we had taken Duke Johnson when we had the chance rather than trading the pick for Mauldin.

6. Jay Bizniss

I don't care who we have at WR, Geno isn't ready to throw the ball 30-35 times a game. We need to focus on the running game and have Geno pass from time to time. We will be looking at another 4-12 season if we go with the same mindset offensively that we had last year.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Jets need to find out what they have in Geno Smith, they cannot afford to keep hiding him otherwise the team will not progress. I see a 50/50 offense this year with the weapons on the outside. That will open up the running game as well. I see Ridley getting a big # of carries as well.

8. Jay Bizniss

Gradually ease him into more passing opportunities as the season progresses. If he passes more than 25 times against the Browns Week 1, I am going to be very disappointed.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

We have a new head coach and a new OC with a new star WR... why would we go into this season with the same offensive mindset as last year? You don't trade for Brandon Marshall and then draft a deep threat with the intentions of being a run-heavy offense.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. Jay Bizniss

Throw first was the mindset last year.... A new star WR and drafting Devin Smith tells me throw first will be the mindset this year.

11. 101GangGreen101

Geno threw 36 times against CLE in 2013, he performed pretty well actually. If the guy is completing passes, then I have no issue with him throwing more. He simply cannot turn the ball over I agree - best thing maybe to have Geno get his confidence up early in the year.

First year system, gonna be tough, we'll see though.

12. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Ironically, I booed the pick at the time, I hated the Geno pick but now I'm a fan of his, mainly because he has shown some improvement even with not much to work with the last 2 seasons and crappy OC's. Sure he makes a bone-headed INT or fumble from time to time, but he more than makes up for that by leading his team to frequent come from behind wins (look it up if you don't remember), he has shown the ability to move the offense and score TD even with crappy receivers, and he has shown great running ability.

The head-scratching turnovers frustrate me just like anyone else, but I think with better weapons around him and a decent OC for the first time, he will show big improvement this year.

It's year 3 now, and Mel Kiper warned us not to expect much until then...

13. BrowningNagle

"sure he makes a bone-headed INT or fumble from time to time....." understatement of the year LOL

my wife is a pretty good cook. Sure she burns down the entire kitchen and we have to flee the house from time to time...but some of her food is good :D

14. 101GangGreen101

Marty said 5 years I think...

15. Truth4U2

LMAO!!! :D

...here's hoping that Brandon Marshall and his long wing-span and ball skills can take most of those balls that would have went the wrong way last year!
    (btw make sure your wife doesn't read that post or Geno's INT's will be the least of your problems!)

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Geez...how many years in a row have we had questions at this position?

I won't be surprised if we ripsaw thru Geno & Fitz by week six.

Hey Bryce...put this armband on.

It's color coded.

17. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

Turbocharged23 likes this.
  18. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Mel Kiper? Seriously?

Did you start paying attention to Mel Kiper 15 minutes ago?

19. Truth4U2

Well he was just citing conventional wisdom....most people realize that a young QB coming from a spread college offense will need at least 2 or 3 years to develop.

20. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Edit

#900 KWJetsFan, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015