Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

there's only so much one player can do especially a guy that was a backup and hadn't played in 2 years. He came in, elevated that offense and gave his team a chance to win.

2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Here is the real Question: How short is Geno's leash as Starter once the season begins? 1 INT? 2INT? 3INT? 1 game? 2 games? 3 games? That is the tough question.

3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

As a side note.

On Sunday morning I was listening to Adam Scheftner on Sirius Mad Dog Radio. Did not get the name of the host but Adam called him coach. The subject of Geno and the Jets came up. They both were extremely complimentary of Petty and they went on and on, and both called it the absolute steal of the draft. To paraphrase Adam and the host "Don't underestimate Petty's ability to quickly master the new system and even push Geno and or Fitz this year" " His natural leadership ability, football smarts and do what it takes to win is off the charts, players naturally gravitate towards him" " He was In their minds a first round candidate and exactly what the doctor ordered for the Jets" " Soon he might become the toast of the town"

Time will tell, but I can see us soon forgetting about everything else and have our eyes peeled on the kid... Hopefully NYJ future QB star. The rest might be an afterthought come 2016.

Brook! and BrowningNagle like this.
  4. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Sal pal was on mike and mike this morning raving about petty also. Doesnt mean much until we see him on the field but it is encouraging to here good things about the kid.
    just hope the fan base will show patience with this 2-3 year project

#864 FJF, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

very cool thanks for posting.

I was skeptical on Petty coming in but I'll cede to the experts on this as most everyone has good things to say about him so I'm encouraged. I really don't want to see him play in 2015 though unless he's just absolutely blowing away Smith & Fitzpatrick. Even if he looks comparable to them in practice in year 1, which would be very promising, I don't want to throw him in the fire. Let the kid develop, let the offense develop around him and then work him in.

Brook! likes this.
  6. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you. With both Sanchez and Geno we made that mistake in spades.

7. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

w/ Matt Simms gone, he will be the next fan favorite.

I am interested to see what Petty brings, hopefully he can get the basics down packed by the end of the year - from there he can start competing for the starting gig next season. Hopefully he improves enough to move up the depth chart.

I don't trust spread QBs - eventually 1 has to break through and learn the fundamentals of the pro offense.

8. BrowningNagle

Aaron Rodgers will be good someday

9. 101GangGreen101

Rodgers didn't run a true spread offense in Cal. At least to my knowledge, it was a combination of the spread / pro offense. It wasn't like Kaepernick in Nevada or Cam in Auburn. Even Mariota in Oregon.

10. BrowningNagle

You are right. I know. I'm just saying attributing generalities to individual cases can be dangerous. I also remember one of the reasons Rodgers dropped was because "all tedford QBs have been busts"

11. nyjunc

I think the questions w/ Rodgers were more about Tedford

12. nyjunc

times also change, at one point dome teams couldn't win a SB until they actually did. past spread failures don't mean future guys cannot succeed. the game is changing, coaching is changing. I have no idea if Petty will succeed but I am not going to say he cannot simply b/c of where he came from.

13. 101GangGreen101

That's true as well - just going back in history, the spread QB - they are almost set-up to fail at the next level - QBs that have come from true spread offenses, it's almost been impossible in terms of success rate.

Someone, eventually will break the mold - thought Cam or Kaepernick would break it, but it appears their play has regressed more as they continued their NFL careers.

14. 101GangGreen101

someone will eventually have to break the mold, hasn't been done yet, but their road to NFL success is exponentially larger then someone coming from a school with pro style concepts.

15. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

To me, it has a lot more to do with what's between the ears. If a player is smart, they can pick up a new system. By all indications, Petty has a good head on his shoulders and has the will to learn. We all know he has the physical tools.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  16. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Jets running game was tied for 6th in ypc at 4.5, third in total yardage. Only negative stat was 5 fumbles lost, but 2 of those were Smith's.

But sure, let's ignore the numbers because they don't help in the defense of Smith.

I guess only Dallas had a "solid" running game. Depends on the definition, i suppose.

17. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

He seems to have just about all the components ya need in his make up. But even under the best circumstances of where he came from, and where he ends up, is not a guarantee tho. We just have to wait and see if the kid can put it all together competing on the field. No easy task, but doable.

18. 101GangGreen101

A lot of smart spread QBs still have trouble converting to the pro-style offense. RG3 for example, people loved his football IQ. Mariota will be the next guy in line. I didn't mention Kaep or Cam - both I believe aren't super smart in regards to football IQ, but are physically gifted players.

I think Brees was the only true spread QB to make it. Petty who knows, he could be next, if developed properly.

19. BrowningNagle

Smith & Vick ran for a combined 391 yards, Romo ran for like 60. Those weren't elements of the running game those were improv from the QBs but go in your running game stats... they were also some of the most efficient runs by the way . If the purpose of this exercise is to trash Geno Smith because his team had a "great" running game it might make sense to take out the running that he & Vick did to contribute to that.

Consider this: The league average for rushing by game last year was: 26.7 Carries, 111.3 Yards, 0.7 TDs, 4.2 ypc average.

if we leave in Geno Smith and Michael Vick's running the Jets rushing game stat line looks like this per game:

31.6 Carries - 142.5 yards-0.5 TDs - 4.5 ypc
    vs. league average
    26.7 carries - 111.3 yards - 0.7 tds- 4.2ypc

If we take out Vick & Smith's running because I mean nearly 400 yards is significant and we all know the majority of those runs shouldn't be considered the "running game"

26.3 carries - 118.0 yards- 0.6 TDs- 4.4 ypc
    vs. league average
    26.7 carries -111.3 yards-0.7 TDs- 4.2 ypc

we have rushing numbers that look closer to average.

Essentially Smith & Vick were contributing on average 4/5 extra carries a game for an efficient 25 or so yards. That wasn't happening in Dallas, just for an example. Over the course of a season it makes the offense's rushing attack seem better than if you just look at the statistics at the end of the year.

Not to mention the whole, you know, watching the game aspect where it was pretty obvious they were certainly NOT dominating folks week in and week out with the rushing game and it wasn't even a consistent attack, it was pretty up and down between games and even quarters. In Dallas, where I would probably give them the "great" rushing attack status- it certainly wasn't an up and down affair and they generally dominated the line of scrimmage every week.

I'm not saying the rushing attack here was bad by any means. I just simply said lets not get carried away with adjectives here. It definitely wasn't a great rushing attack and it was borderline solid in a league where solid rushing the ball is a lot less than in years past. and it couldn't be counted on for consistency at all

3 games only all year they had a "great", consistent rushing attack - NE game 1 MIAMI game 1, and OAK. But for those games they also had non existent rushing games - DEN, SD, BUF 2.

#879 BrowningNagle, Jun 1, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  20. nyjunc

the Jets could ran last year, we had an OC that preferred to pass. We should have been pounding the ball each week but instead we abandoned the run.