Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Last year the Jets had a high ranked running game, and that did not do much for Smith's stats.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

true....that wasn't the point i was making.

#842 BacktoQueens, May 29, 2015
    Last edited: May 29, 2015
  3. Big Blocker

I thought the point was whether good players around Smith helped take pressure off of him enough to where he might succeed.

4. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think this is a very interesting article as I think Geno Smith has comparable skills and weaknesses as Kordell Stewart had:

http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2015/05/kordell_stewart_chan_gailey_right_coach_for_jets_g.html

I like that it shows Gailey isn't going to try to fit a square peg in a round hole, like Morningweg did with Smith, at least according to history with Kordell Stewart.

I like the emphasis on quickly moving the ball out, playing to his strengths, no complicated drop-backs, not much play action. That's not who Geno Smith is. I like the quick, spread, just get first downs style. If Geno Smith has shown any strengths, it has been in the 2-minute offense because that is basically all you do: spread it out, get the ball out quickly, not so complicated, first downs-based football. That lends itself well to his skill set.

this is more obvious offseason fluff, but its a good read and I like the focus on football stuff for a change..

All Gas No Shake likes this.
  5. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

it was whether the addition of Marshall (and to a lesser degree Smith) would help bolster his numbers.
    i don't believe it will.

weapons aren't holding Geno back.... Geno himself has been the problem.

I'd consider Geno's personal growth and positional maturity, the effectiveness (or lack thereof) of the offensive line, and Gailey's system fit (or lack thereof), all as more important factors to Geno's potential success than the new WR additions.

6. Big Blocker

Yes, I agree, which is why i mentioned that the strong running game did not help him last year.

I do to be clear expect some marginal improvement from signing Marshall, but I doubt Smith will take advantage of him anywhere near as much as he should.

NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  7. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

Good post.

As we look forward at the possibilities of our QB's, this is what we can hope for as fans, for now, to compete for a winning season. If he could actually do that he might be the better option over Fitz.

Same with Fitz tho, should he become the starter; hopefully he can be coached into a position to be more of a game manager at this point in his career, which obviously fits his limited physical skill set better. And possibly have a career year similarly to Vinny in '98, after Vinny was basically going nowhere at that point in his career.
    Yeah, I know, he doesn't have the tools Vinny had. And I'm not saying he can have a prolific passing season like that.
    But, he has the smarts to adjust, and manage the O focusing on ball security for the team to be successful, as part of an overall winning philosophy.

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Can't blame the o-line for that, gotta put it on Geno's lack of awareness, indecisiveness or the receivers not getting open. That stat surprises me because Geno dramatically cut down his sack % and yards lost per sack in 2014.

FlaJet likes this.
  10. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Actually now that I've thought about it, a lot of the +3.1 second sacks might come from when Geno scrambles out of bounds for a loss of 1 or 2. Might be a misleading stat, I'd like to see it broken down.

11. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

you can keep your fantasy stats. i dont want to hear about them. winning is what matters, and he came in and they lost and dropped out of the playoffs

ajax likes this.
  12. jerseyjay14

jerseyjay14 Well-Known Member

having a good running game always helps, but if you arent a good qb its not going to make much of a difference. the one way a running game helps having a bad QB is that you dont have to pass as much... thus using that bad qb less. kind of like we did the first couple years with sanchez when we made the playoffs.

there is no hiding bad qb play, eventually its going to cost you... maybe in the past you could get away with it, but not today where the league is geared around passing

13. 101GangGreen101

I doubt it, I would have to think those statistics would come from w/in the pocket. I think you would see higher numbers from teams like the Seahawks and Packers if that were the case.

14. 101GangGreen101

He held onto the football far too long at times, I remember plenty of times where he was a second late with the ball and he's getting smacked by a defender. He would've been more effective if he ran more often.

15. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

I found this on you tube.....interesting to see what they were saying about Geno when he was drafted....in particular, watch what Mel Kiper says about him. To summarize, he said that he hopes Geno gets 2 or 3 years to develop before he has to be the starter, and he says that fans will be disappointed if he starts right away. He's a developmental QB who will need at least 2-3 years to develop...

16. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

It's a mute point now. Geno got thrown in the deep end because we didn't have that luxury after Mr. USC got el smacko-ed. I am sorry but I just don't buy the "ruined by the wrong coach" routine anymore. If Geno can adapt to the NFL he will...... if not, NEXT.

17. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

I wonder what those Jet fans who cheered Geno are now thinking? I was one of them, happy with the pick but now extremely unhappy with Geno. The same mistakes he had in college have continued with zero growth in the continued mistakes. His college playing years combine with 2 years with the Jets are more than enough time to have seen some improvement. Stop hurting yourself by seeking to satisfy your passion for Geno. U can "Google" The anti Geno opinions and find more than enough anti Geno sentiment.

18. Big Blocker

IMo the takeaway about how great the Jets' running game was last year was that Smith had no excuse to make from that quarter. Support from a solid running game did not translate into him being a better Qb.

19. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

There wasn't some great running game last year. lets be careful with adjectives. They moved the ball but they weren't great by any means.

They had some success early in games and Morningweg would forget about the running game anyway. Johnson was very, very pedestrian. The O-line would be fine and then they would have too many occasional breakdowns and a 2nd and 6 running play would be stuffed in the backfield forcing a 3rd in 9... or Colon would get called for holding and that 2nd and 6 running play would turn in 2nd and 16. Happened all too often making it hard to have a consistent, efficient running game.

The running game consisted of Ivory running into everything for 3/4 yards at a time. Decent, but not efficient by any means. The numbers will look alright but they were far from efficient or "great" or "solid" at running the ball

Charlie Kelly likes this.
  20. 101GangGreen101

I wouldn't take much stock into what JerseyJay has to say about the running game. He thought our running game was just as good if not better then the Cowboys running game. Pretty sure having DeMarco Murray getting the ball 40+ times in December put less pressure on Romo.