Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Clark Gaines

Clark Gaines Banned

Good question:

I'm cool with 26 TDs /13 INTs and 3 fumbles lost.

2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

This shows the 2014 & 2013 top 10 in yards, TD's and QB Rating (the real one not the stupid ESPN one).

key:
    blue = superbowl winning QB
    Z - division winner
    Y - playoffs
    dvoa = defensive efficiency rankings from football outsiders
    http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

I used DVOA because I believe it's a better way of analyzing the quality of a defense than some of the other commonly used stats. I understand this will probably be the topic of some debate but it's my analysis so I'll use what I believe is the best defensive ranking system.

[​IMG]
    • All of the active superbowl winning QB's except Flacco appear on these top 10 lists from 2013-2014.
    • Most QB's in these top 10 lists whose teams didn't have a winning record had a bottom third ranked defense.
    • Matthew Stafford was the only QB in the top 10 passing yard list with a defense ranked in the top half of the league whose team didn't have a winning record.
    • Matthew Stafford was the only QB in the top 10 passing TD list with a defense ranked in the top half of the league whose team didn't have a winning record.
    • Sam Bradford was the only QB in the top 10 QB rating list with a defense ranked in the top half of the league whose team didn't have a winning record. He only played 7 games that year but the team was still one game under .500 with him playing.
    • Of the 2014 playoff teams only Dalton, Flacco, Newton and the Cards QB by committee didn't appear in a top 10 list. Of the 2013 playoff teams only Luck, Alex smith and Newton didn't appear in a top 10 list. If we can agree to remove the QB by committee team that makes it an even 25% of playoff teams with QB's who didn't make a top 10 stat list for there year.

3. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'm just saying I called this thread would go off the rails and not remain on topic.

I didnt call you out at all. But thanks for remaining mature and telling me to "shut up."

I just asked a question. Obviously I want only important TD's and TO's that dont have an affect on the game. That isnt realistic though. I was thinking if Geno had like 1.5 TD/INT ratio the Jets would be in decent shape.

4. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

I thank you for posting the info but what does what Eli Manning did in 2014 have to do w/ him winning SBs in 2007 and 2011?

5. nyjunc

on the surface you'd think they would be in decent shape. Philip Rivers had #1 ranked D in 2010 and threw 30 TDs and 13 INTs yet SD couldn't win a weak division and SD couldn't get to playoffs. #s are nice but hoe they are accumulated means much more than the accumulations.

6. jcass10

If Geno put up those numbers, I'd be doing backflips.

I figured I'd be happy with 18-12. Not great, but I have very low standards for him at this point.

7. jcass10

So then where is the discussion when projecting his season?

I want to Geno to have only important touchdown passes and only garbage time INT's. Obviously we all want that, but there is no discussion there.

On the hole if Geno limits his turnovers and increases his TD's from last year, I think this years team will be in very good shape.

8. nyjunc

Ryan Tannehill put up 27 and 12 last year, looked really nice on paper but couldn't complete a pass beyong 5-7 yds and in the biggest games of the season eh didn't show up so these #s could be great for us and Geno or maybe they just fool us like Fitz in Buffalo or Tannehill in Miami last year.

9. nyjunc

we all want his TDs to go up and TOs to go down, on the surface that should mean a much improved Geno and in turn a much improved O but more than that I want him to be a leader for this offense, I want him to play w/ confidence and I want him to limit the big mistakes. if he does those things we will be a playoff team. what the #s that come along w/ that are I have no idea.

FlaJet likes this.
  10. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I think realistically I could see 21 TD's 12 Int's. With improved mechanics and decision making and passing the eye test.

11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

That's not reality, you cannot turn the football over plain and simple. I love how you try and justify Mark Sanchez's turnovers.

Rookie yr - oh he threw INTs in bunches, he's still a good QB!
    2011 - He was hurt! He had no weapons!
    2012 - He was hurt! He had no weapons!

12. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

junc faps to the thought of you guys riled up ... dont partake in his fantasy

#UnstickTheKeys

13. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i don't think the weapons will have that big an impact on Geno's numbers.
    the Oline, TE's, and RB's are essentially the same.
    we added Marshall, and Smith may contribute with a part time role. but that alone is not going to vault numbers.

receiving options haven't been holding Geno back. it's Geno himself.
    he gets rattled easy, has poor field vision and anticipation.......all which lead to bad decisions.
    he has to protect the ball, and improve on his accuracy as well.

maybe the change in Offense will help, and be easier for him to digest than the WCO reads.
    but ultimately, he has to mature as a player quite a bit, and the improvements need to come from within.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. nyjunc

He had 3-4 bad games where the majority of his INTs came from.

in 4 games he threw
    14-27 138 0-3
    10-29 119 0-5
    8-21 136 1-4
    18-32 226 1-3
    50-109, 619 yds, 2 TDs 15 INTs, 30.5 rating- AWFUL these 4 games and we lost 3 of them mainly b/c of him.

the other 11 games:

146-255, 1825 yds, 10 TDs, 5 INTs, 84.5 rating

11 games is almost 75% of his season( he played 15). he was more good than bad as a rookie and played very well in the 3 postseason games including a near flawless WC rd at Cincy where he had 3 incompletions w/ 2 of them being easy drops and one of those drops would have been about a 50 yd TD.

2011 he was hurt but I have never used that excuse, he and the team didn't get it done the last few weeks. Though his #s were vastly improved across the board he wasn't anywhere near as good as 2010.

2012 he had Chaz Schilens, stephen Hill and co. starting. No QB would have succeeded. the problem is he peaked in 2010 and post 2010 we kept stripping away weapons. he had some in 2011 and had an ok year but 2012 he had nothing around him when his top 2 weapons got hurt. NYG is always bringing in talent for Eli and even Miami w/ their young QB is bringing in new talent to upgrade every year while we expected Mark after 1 good year to win w/ anything. He's not an elite guy, never has been, never was going to be so it was unfair to expect him to win w/ what we had in 2012- his ONLY season under .500 as a starter by the way.

15. jcass10

Maybe, but Marshall is a legitimate red zone option. Geno is at his absolute worst when in the red zone. That alone should help his TD and INT numbers, even if its a small amount.

16. nyjunc

Decker is really good and now he's a #2, if this rookie can stretch the field look out. This is the first year Geno will have a good(potentially very good) group of receivers to throw to. That alone should help him improve and help his confidence.

17. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You still cannot turn the football over the way he has done, he has lost games for his team.

Mark is a turnover prone QB who can't secure a starting job in the NFL. He didn't make the playoffs with a good eagles team due to his turnovers and it seems Mark is now just an afterthought. He had a good stretch in 2010 and 3/4s of 2011, but that was it.

Time to give it up bud, stop making excuses.

James Hasty likes this.
  18. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

Of course they mean something when he does it on nearly an every game basis. He fumbled 3 times. The guy has a problem with fumbling, and throwing interceptions. It's not limited to garbage time and that has been evident over the course of his career.

19. nyjunc

he has turned it over too much and he has lost some games though not as many as you guys give him the blame for.

he turns it over too much but not all TOs are the same.

20. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

i like the optimism.
    i'm just not a believer in a WR making a QB. if anything, i think it's more likely that Marshall's numbers go down, than that Geno's numbers go up.

The offensive line will be key. can they run the ball well, and take pressure off? can they pass protect and pick up blitzers?
    Then Gailey's O will also be key. will Geno adapt better in a different system? can he find ways to keep the pressure off Geno?

those things, along with Geno himself obviously, will have a much bigger impact on Geno's performance than the WR group imo..

NYJetsO12 likes this.