Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

And You do? How about fuck the fans that look and are just too stupid to see the obvious (not really nice is it?). How about respecting other fans opinions and disagreeing without the bitch slapping. Most of the disagreement is coming about the no competition statement and not about whom is better and why?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Exactly. In March '15 Mac and Bowles assured us and the press there would be a competition at QB now it's free pass time.

Bowles to Gaily" I like you man, get offa that couch two years is long enuf! I remember you coached that boy Thigpin to do great things" "Well we got Geno now and he can't tell time but eats a lot of hotdogs plus he really stunk it up last season. Go work your magic Jesus"

boozer32 likes this.
  3. NYJetsO12

Fuck what the fans think?

You came out from under your rock outa nowhere to troll for the FO and Geno Smith.

Probably live in NE

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Well sorry girlfriend, but here's the's the question:

Q: Who'd want to be straddling Nick Mangold from behind with both his hands under Mangold's ass?

A: . roger

5. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Kordell was Joe Montana compared to Geno. If I'm not mistaken he did get to a SB.

NYJetsO12 and FlaJet like this.
  6. boozer32

Optimism is great in May. I mean the sky shines bright everyday in JetsLand (actually a place). But come Aug/Sept reality will set in and we will see a bunch of crappy games from Geno. If you have talent you can shine under any circumstance. Sure Geno has weapons now but he still has nothing between his ears. The reason why people are dumping on Geno is because he is just that bad.

#466 boozer32, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 24, 2015
  7. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I like what the CS is doing in one aspect at least.

They basically threw down the gauntlet, and said this: Let's make sure GeNO is a complete shit before we shitcan him.

And GeNO will respond. In his usual way, I assure ya. By week 8, Jets would be out of the playoff hunt - again.

The entire world will know what kind of a retard he is - and Geno Fanboys will cry about how much he improved, or how this CS has sabotaged him, etc, etc.

NYJetsO12, boozer32 and FlaJet like this.
  8. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

I'm not a big Geno fan but from the CS this was a smart move to throw cold water on the media right away.

Bowles wants a no nonsense intelligent team with as little distractions as possible from the media circus. Petty isn't ready and Fitz is the contingency plan if Geno has 2 bad games...

Truth4U2 and LAJet like this.
  9. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

If the team succeeds this season, it will be in spite of Geno, not because of him. We'll win by playing suffocating defense, running the ball effectively, and passing just enough to keep opponent's defenses honest. Sanchez 2.0

10. TonyMaC

TonyMaC Well-Known Member

if the team succeeds with Geno, its because they managed to be a proficient passing O in that 10-20 yard zone, thanks to talented route runners they have starting at WR, a scheme that spreads defenses so they can make plays, and the legitimately good arm Geno has. Oh and because they could afford to suffocate teams later on with their power run game.

I can see WHY Chan likes Geno, because he can make every kind of throw. arm talent isn't an issue, its maybe his best asset and I'm sure thats what Gailey will build his O around if what he says about building to his team's strengths is true. We've got the roster for it.

11. boozer32

Well, one aspect I hope Todd Bowles will have that is different from Rex is he can make adjustments quickly. I hope Fitzpatrick can shine in training camp and remove Geno from the equasion. I also hope Petty can show he can be groomed and then Geno is holding a clipboard all season.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Stupid move by Gailey, if Geno shits the bed, he still starts?

boozer32 likes this.
  13. Truth4U2

Truth4U2 Well-Known Member

Vinny Testeverde sure didn't "shine under any circumstances" with the Bucs early in his career. In fact, he was unanimously labeled an epic BUST. Then, later in his career when he finally got some good coaching, he played well for the Browns and Jets. He almost took us to a super bowl. And nobody thought he had anything between his ears either. Trent Dilfer is another example. .... and Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien, Doug Johnson, Jeff Hostetler all come to mind as examples of mediocre-at-best QB's who won the SB with good coaching and good defenses.

Geno Smith is no Peyton Manning, that's for sure, but he may be good enough this year, with better weapons around him, to help us win. Let's not bury him just yet. He showed a lot of flashes under terrible conditions the last 2 years, he was coming from a spread offense in college, and he was drafted very young and immature. From all accounts, he has grown up a lot since then. Let's see what he can do under Chan Gailey and with Marshall and Decker to throw to (not to mention an improving Amaro at TE, good WR depth, and a better O-line.)

14. NYJetsO12

Please, the losses I anticipate should not go to week eight! That would be absolute torture. If Fitz heals up put the Brianiac in. At least you won't lose on dumb and may win a few games. My over under for GeNo is three games before the hook

boozer32 likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

So you are getting to the 10-20 yard line? Just with running? We had Ivory and Powell last year and that will just take you just so far. I have been waiting for a " proficient passing O" for a few years now. We are back to Geno He Has The Tools Smith. How did he do with Kerley Harvin Decker?

I would rather have a less physical but a lot smarter QB in there. Fitz making a living 11 years in this league obviously more on his IQ than his throwing. Last year before injury he was the ninth QB rating in NFL. He can handle pressure better than Smith. Jus MHO

Will-I-Am-Not, FlaJet and boozer32 like this.
  16. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said Thruth. You can add Eli to the mix. I recall a very similar lack of confidence from most of the Giant fans with Eli over the first 3 years so you never truly know the cealing under the right system.
    There is a very polarized crowd over Geno and his future with the Jets but we are all together in believing that his past performance was dismal enough to inspire a major lack of confidence.
    The real difference is that some don't want to give him another chance period. They have zero confidence in his mental capacity and ability to improve. Others feel he deserves another chance with Gailey and his system, that his mechanical abilities alone are better than anything available right now. Yes including Fitz.
    I like the move to bring Fritz on board but I'm not kidding myself in the thought that he can be our savior. I recall watching him struggle mightly against big rushing defenses, something that he will face almost every week in this division. So it makes sense IMO to see what Gailey can do with Geno and give him every opportunity to demonstrate us wrong. If he doesn't he will be replaced permanently and the focus for the future will shift to Petty.
    Quite frankly the argument about the announcement was more political than anything else but is interpreted by many to mean Geno starts no matter how bad he is during training camp and pre season. I believe this to be wrong, dead wrong.
    The no competition statement meant the incumbent is number #1 going into the season, and will avoid the million stupid media questions to the HC, OC and more importantly to the QBs about how is the competition going.
    I think the players and the coaches know damned well how much pressure is focused on that position, and that at the end end of the day the best players will see the field. You don't need to announce an open competition to have one.
    Previous management non withstanding of course

NYJalltheway and boozer32 like this.
  17. boozer32

Vinny problem wasn't talent related or between his ears he was color blind.

18. boozer32

Nice post LAJet. I do think by Chan making this statement early it will be more of a circus from the very beginning of training point. Bowles, Geno, Chan will be answering questions about this all day long. It distracts from the whole team message.

FlaJet likes this.
  19. pclfan

pclfan Well-Known Member

You would assume there's a strategy making this announcement and the way they did it. The question is: what is it?

20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You are probably right. One should never underestimate the biased intentions of the NY media.