Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

What an idiot.

JoeyStylez likes this.
  2. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I can't help but think that anyone who actually believes there is any truth to the idea that Geno fucking Smith lured anyone out of retirement other than maybe an opposing DB or DC has very thick green shades on. I could be wrong on that, but I'm not.

#442 NotSatoshiNakamoto, May 22, 2015
    Last edited: May 22, 2015
  3. pdxdrew

pdxdrew Well-Known Member

Chan Gailey came out of retirement just to coach Geno? That may be the dumbest slant a journalist have ever put on a story. Wow. Just wow. ( Explosion. )

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. NYJFan10

NYJFan10 Well-Known Member

Either that or Gailey's more of a buffoon than we feared :p

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. jxc

jxc Active Member

Any quarterback that struggled under Rex Ryan's head coaching (and they all did) gets a second chance. Them's the rules. Sanchez couldn't top an 80 passer rating or stop turning the ball over in 4 years with the Jets. He got a second chance in Philly. Tebow led a Denver team on an improbable playoff run and after a year with Rex was out of the league. He's back in the NFL again. Vick will probably get picked up soon too. Hell, Greg McElroy should consider un-retiring.

As for Geno, the third year is normally the make or break year (unless of course your name is Mark Sanchez and your coach is Rex Ryan, then you have suck it for another two years before something is done). So Geno gets his shot.

And why not? Only one quarterback posted a perfect passer rating in 2014. His name was Geno Smith.

RexontheBeach likes this.
  6. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Smith should start. This QB competition thing is BS. We know what Fitzpatrick is, and it isn't very good and it isn't getting better. Is 10-6 what this team and the fan base is aiming for? We are happy with a playoff appearance? Been there done that. Is Fitzpatrick winning a SB? Highly doubtful. Smith is still young and has potential. No QB should be judged with Ryan as a HC and the string of awful OCs he and the FO forced on this team. When the shackles were off Smith late in 2013, early in 2014, and late in 2014, he played well. When the CS stopped letting him throw and run, he was tentative and bad. A player can't play constantly looking over his shoulder. Plus a young QB learning a new system needs the reps in OTAs and camp. Competitions at QB are for writers like Cimini who live to give us preseason session by session comparison stats and lve the controversy. I want to know if Smithis a QB that can be quality starter before the Jets spend a 2016 first rounder on a QB or turn to Petty. Bowles and Gaileynwant to find out the same thing. We know what Fitz is and there is a reason he is with his 4 th team in 4 seasons. If you want perpetual mediocrity, go with Fitz. If you want to find an NFL starter, go with Smith and he gets one more year to sink or swim and if he sinks, Fitz is the perfect stop gap.

RuJFan and RexontheBeach like this.
  7. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Aside from the stupidity of announcing Geno the starter this early does anyone else think that the "barring injury" comment should have required a bit more thought. I mean way to jinx out starting QB, why not just put him on the cover of Madden?

I don't know about you but if Geno Smith gets hurt I am blaming Gailey.

[​IMG]

8. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Looks like we are all in with our brain trust CG too

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That exactly what I was wondering. I think Chan is hitting the bottle or worst shooting heroin.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  10. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

Yeah but none as crappy as Geno.

11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Forgive me, I might be totally off the mark here, but some Jet fans find every excuse to vilify Geno's last years performance but continue to back up with praise the previous coaching staff and FO, those geniuses that saw the unquestionable wisdom to start a rookie QB that was not remotely ready to even carry the clip board for a year, and to help him they masterminded a game plan that literally took away his biggest strength, his natural instincts. Really now? So we can crap all over Geno for trying but not the idiots that put him in a position to fail.
    Sorry but I'm much more sympathetic towards Geno than to the previous regime. So for those that are already calling Gailey a dumb shit for trying to instill some confidence in Geno I say, he is trying to fix with some coaching talent the shit that the previous offensive wizards left us. So let's give him a chance.
    I for one, even though never a big supporter of Geno, hope he kicks major ass this year and shuts the non believers down, particularly when he plays the mighty Bills.

12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and if he doesn't???

Look, we all know that the prior regime couldn't find its collective ass with both hands and a GPS when it comes to offense. Nobody and I mean NOBODY gives them credit for anything other than the GnP.

Geno has earned all the criticism he's getting right now. He's played badly for a starting NFL Qb. Gailey and MM both have had success with Qb's so we can stop blaming his coaching. The issue with Geno is Geno.

#453 Cman68, May 23, 2015
    Last edited: May 23, 2015
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Then we will have a perennial back up as our starter this year....which has been in the plan all along. No real earth shaking news if that is the case for sure.

jxc likes this.
  15. Vanbiesbrouck

Vanbiesbrouck Active Member

Then the coaching staff installs the backup QB, and the GM dumps him in the off season. Like it should be -> accountability.

16. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

He shouldn't have even seen the field in 2013. Geno should've sat for a year while he got acclimated to the NFL, learning how to read defenses, developing his footwork and fixing any little mechanical issues he had. So as a starter he was pretty much behind the 8 ball. What you want to see is if the combination of the offense being tailored around him, plus 2 years of NFL experience will help him improve a ton.

The way the Jets were trying to develop Geno was not the wise decision especially in this market. You can get away with it in Jacksonville or Tennessee. If you're going to play a young raw QB, you have to be prepared for everything that may come with it, especially considering how raw Geno was. You were going to get up and down and inconsistent play and tons more growing pains than usual. If you're developing a QB he should be allowed to play within himself and play loose. If you try to put chains around him and have him playing not to make mistakes, then you're going to get a QB that will be second guessing himself and he's not playing loose, he's playing to not make mistakes, and that's not conducive to a qb's development.

We tried to develop a QB in a supposed rebuilding situation, yet the head coaches job security was in question. So he's in win now mode, That's not a good thing at all.

LAJet likes this.
  17. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

No, it's NOT a story. You're allowing the media to lead your way of thinking. Stop that. He's the starter FOR NOW. Big deal. Obviously if he doesn't play well, he won't be the starter for long. Anyone with a modicum of common sense knows this.

18. Dreadmadseen

Dreadmadseen Active Member

The New York Jets new brain-trust has been magnificent all off-season, but when it comes to who they want to lead thier Offense they're Idiots. Because the incumbent quartback is going into his third year and hasn't perform at a consistently high level. I know some of this fanbase doesn't want Eugene to qb the team no matter how he plays. Many, including myself just don't wanna see the same ol Geno (I admit at times it was hard to watch this team last year). I also feel that we have to give the guy time to learn(this year and maybe next) he had to learn a new offense every year he's been in the league. How good would you be if you had to learn a different process every thirty days in your profession?? I would give him two years under Chan to see how much he improves with would also provide Petty with the same amount of time in the system. It may not take the CS that long to determine if Geno is their guy as they are the experts so I will default to them.

If Chan can tailor a system around geno similar to the one he ran in college, with the game slowing down abit (geno's thought processes speeding up alot) I feel we will witness much improved Quarterback play this year. The question is will we be in playoff contention when we witness it? With the bulletproof defense the Jets bring to the table I think we should be in a good position to make it to the playoffs, if Geno can limit turnovers and three and out's. Maybe even pad the points and give Petty a look see in a few games. All and all this team has come a long way this offseason and the fanbase should be excited are we a superbowl team? Probably not. Are we a playoff team? Maybe, maybe not but this team is night and day talent wise compared to where it was last year.

19. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

Because, quite simply, fuck what the fans think. It's about what is best for the team, and Lord knows most Jets fans know slap dick about how to run a football team. There really isn't a better alternative. Fitz is average at best with no upside and Petty (whom I like a great deal) is nowhere near ready and MUST sit for a year. So Geno it is. Really don't see why anyone is shocked by this.

20. JoeyStylez

JoeyStylez Banned

Kordell Stewart says HI.