Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I said it before and I will say it again ....

If it is the start of free agency, and you are the General Manager of an NFL football team, and you have the worst starting QB in the league ... and by the end of the draft, you do not have a QB on the roster capable of competing with your "worst starting QB in the league" for the starting QB position ... then you have FUBARed your team's offseason. End of story.

The guy didnt have a lot of options, but sorry, that's his job.

FlaJet, Big Blocker and lucrazy719 like this.
  2. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

Lol I like Matt Simms the person but I cannot wait until this fall when at best (if he can find employment) he'll be 3rd string in the CFL. So oblivious around here.

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This is horrendous logic. The guy didn't have a lot of options? More like no options. We HAVE the best option. What did you want them to do, trade for Cutler who isn't good and makes a shit ton of money? Trade the farm for Mariota who is a complete unknown in the NFL? Seriously, give a solution. And don't give me "it's not my job" because that's a cop out and lazy.

RuJFan and FJF like this.
  4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Fine, name Geno the week 1 starter and there is no competition at QB. They're running the show and are free to make that declaration in May, but just for argument's sake, say Fitz is clearly outplaying Geno in Camp and during pre-season? IMO they've un-neccesarily backed themselves into a corner by declaring this now. I thought Bowles had the perfect response initially be saying Geno would get first reps in camp, it didn't need to be expanded beyond that at this point in time...

5. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

I wanted him to find a QB who might not be the worst starting QB in the league and let him compete for the starting job.

NYJetsO12 and IDFjet like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

welp, I guess you have no reason to watch the Jets this season then right?

7. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

It makes sense from the standpoint that Fitzpatrick is coming off an injury. Geno was going to get most of the preseason work anyway. Further, Fitzpatrick is a bandaid. Smith at least has a lottery player's chance at evolving into a solid NFL starting QB.

IMO Smith gets 6 weeks or so to not face plant or butt fumble, and if he survives that then the Jets will work with him, see if they can squeeze anything out of him, and go from there.

8. BleedGreen89

BleedGreen89 Well-Known Member

this isnt much a surprise. Fitzpatrick is the definition of mediocre

It doesnt much matter either way they suck and we're looking for a QB next draft

9. BleedGreen89

so what would you have done genius. there were no good free agents, we drafted 6th and the only two good QBs went 1-2. This isn't madden franchise mode where we can just trade for Aaron Rodgers

DoubleDecker87 likes this.
  10. Jets_Grinch

Jets_Grinch Well-Known Member

So he should have mortgaged the future to go after a "right now QG"? maybe Petty is his guy and he wants him to sit for a year. I know all franchise QB's like Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady start from day one, but maybe there is something to this wait and learn thing. Maybe he is willing to risk it for a season as he gets all his ducks in a row. It is possible he sees juuuust enough in Geno that with a lights out defense and improved weapons around him, he can be serviceable for a year and take a home run swing next offseason. Or maybe just maybe yesterday was a bullshit smoke screen and something is being worked on behind closed doors. My point is, yes Geno sucks and has sucked. That is undeniable. But i'd rather Mac do this properly, as i still believe we were spoiled by Rex's early success, take his time building with the right pieces and go on a patriot style decade run then a year or two flash in the pan leaving us in salary cap hell with potentially nothing to show it.

11. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

This.

QB's went 1 and 2. Clearly they werent interested in trading if they thought these guys were franchise QB's.
    It really came down to Hoyer and Fitzpatrick if I remember correctly. We got one of them.

Hopefully the Jets start 2-0 so these "sky is falling" Jets fans go away lol.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think that's everyone's heartburn right now. They should have just stayed with the origjnal Bowles statement. No one wanted to see Geno HANDED THE STARTING JOB again. If he had won in a honest competition with Fitz, nobody would have said shit. He has yet to earn the starting job as he was anointed the starter pretty much from jump. Last year's "competition" which we all knew was bullshit and this just seems like Geno's leash is entirely too damn long. It would be nice, FOR ONCE, to see Geno actually earn and win his job instead of it being handed to him.

13. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

I could care less about this.

Someone needs to take first team snaps. I want Geno to be the guy - we all should. By being here, Fitzpatrick provides greater QB competition than we've had. Everyone needs to chill. Things are progressing well in Jet land. Plus, Chan Gailey's been around a while. If he likes what he's seen so far from Geno then I am thrilled by that news.

Don't let the media's response get you all worked up. The reports I've read last night pissed me off, actually.

14. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Honestly I think this thread is making a mountain out of a molehill. Gailey said they intend to start the season with Geno. He didn't say Geno's our guy ride or die.

LAJet likes this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

That's just an assumption.

This all just reeks of blind faith

Check that, this is also about the practice time our star acquisition BMarshall has had playing catch with Geno. Apparently they have the mojo going good so OC will not upset the apple cart.

#255 NYJetsO12, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    FlaJet and James Hasty like this.
  16. BleedGreen89

This year is all about Fail for Cardale anyway

17. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

our last GM lost his job w/in 2 years, we fired a coach who led us to 2 title games. If this regime doesn't win soon they will be gone soon, if they think they have a better chance to win w/ Fitz he will start but they think they have a better chance w/ Geno and they are right.

Dreadmadseen likes this.
  18. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

It's not like Simms ever got to take first string snaps in practice to prepare for a game.

One day someone will give him a shot and they just might be rewarded for it.

19. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

Tom Brady never got 1st team reps in 2001 either. if he used that excuse he never would have succeeded.

20. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

I'm saving this thread for when not one of the other 31 teams sign him just like they haven't the last 6 times we've released him. Simms has somehow passed Brett Ratliff's hype.