Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Well said indeed. That bit of news was much to do about nothing. You summarized my exact views to a T. As I mentioned on another thread, Chan's statement simply summarized Bowles position that Geno is the incumbent and as such he is targeted as the QB to start the season. The opening day job is his to loose.

2. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Again, the FACT that THERE WILL BE NO COMPETITION is news. as in NEWS.

And if no one else is in a positon to challenge the worst NFL starting Qb over the last two seasons, then the FO did a shit job this off season.

3. nyjunc

nyjunc 2008 TGG Bryan Cox "Most Argumentative" Award Winn

There is always competition, if Geno looks lost he's not going to be the starter no matter what Gailey said yesterday.

Ralebird likes this.
  4. kbgreen

kbgreen Well-Known Member

The problem is not the Physical tools it is the mental tool between-his-ears that is the problem.

IDFjet and FlaJet like this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

This. I'm embarrassed FOR some people here. Do you all really think that if Geno stinks up the joint he's just going to keep playing? You're acting as stupid as you're pretending Chan Gailey and Todd Bowles are.

Ralebird and FJF like this.
  6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

No, he said Smith is the starter and there will be no competition.

Did anyone here, especially the homers, criticize what turned out to be the bs coming out of Jetland last year that there WOULD be a competition between SMith and Vick, whether using the CBA justification Vilma referenced or not? In other words, if the CBA makes it impractical to have a Qb competition in camp, how come no one was criticizing the Jets last off season on that basis?

Can't have it both ways, and ftr I don't buy that you can't have a competition.

FlaJet likes this.
  7. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

Probably because the coaching staff played up the competition mantra as a justification for not spending money in free agency (which I do admit I was wrong about). Then they proceeded in not having Vick ready at all for the season and let Geno play however he wanted without repercussions.

On the surface the situation appears the same, but when you dig deeper it is not.

8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Its not like it hasn't happened before... You're talking about an extremely skeptical fanbase conditioned for bad decisions heaped upon more bad decisions.

FlaJet likes this.
  9. BroadwayAaron

There's also never really been a better option unless you're one of those people that thinks Matt Simms is worthy of an NFL roster spot.

10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'll be concerned if he's the starter week 1 and he has proven to be a worse option than Fitzpatrick.

Everything is all just talk at this point.

11. Cman68

Which leads to the question: How in the world did we get to this point? Was Fitz the best we could do in hiring a vet Qb? Could it be Fitz was the only Qb willing to sit behind Geno with no chance of starting? Our Qb situation is bordering on pathetic. Like I said, Gailey had better be right about Geno or the honeymoon will end a helluva quicker than anyone would have thought.

Big Blocker and FlaJet like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

We really didn't have many choices. There were no QBs available in the draft that could challenge Geno. There weren't too many vet QBs out there in general, which is how we ended up with Fitz (who is a better option than Hoyer). And no QBs were traded this offseason which means teams weren't looking to deal them or the asking price was too high.

It's a matter of circumstance unfortunately.

13. Cman68

and I thought the Knicks had the worst timing and luck of any professional NY sports team....

FlaJet and lucrazy719 like this.
  14. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This was going to be the qb situation this year no matter what. Fitz, hoyer, some mcnown didnt matter. They are all the same level of qb. There was, as usual, no qb market, no savior. People are pissed now because reality is being realized. Geno makes the most sense from a long view to run out there and try to have success. Fitz is here in case that doesn't work. Petty is the new name in the carousel for next year if it doesn't work. Rinse repeat.
    as far as gailey and the honeymoon. Sounds like it ended yesterday. Not a bad run when your the o.c. of the nyj though

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Why not, it is exactly what happened last year and the year before?

Just because you have more than one QB does not mean that the starter is necessarily going to get benched.

FlaJet likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

Like I said a few posts up, last year and the year before, there were no viable backup options. That was proven when the backups got their shot and proceeded to shit the bed.

17. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

When did Simms ever shit the bed?

He did not play at an all star level but he did a good job of keeping turnovers to a minimum.

18. BroadwayAaron

You'll know all you need to know about Simms when he's either back on our practice squad or unemployed this year.

Simms has attempted 38 passes his entire career. 1 was a TD, 1 was an interception. Factor in fumbles, and he's got 2 turnovers in 38 attempts. That's not limited turnovers to me.

19. nyjunc

Simms was pretty bad in his limited playing time. He hasn't had a great opportunity but when you are a backup/3rd string type you need to show something in limited opps and he has not done that so far.

20. nyjunc

that is a slightly higher rate of turning it over than Geno though obviously in limited opportunities.