Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Broken legs heal ya know

And the comparison to Revis' situation is just silly.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jets CS are daring Geno to fail. They gave him a lot of weapons, and now coaches are behind him.

If he fails - he's gone. What's so difficult to understand?

3. JetLifeLo

JetLifeLo Well-Known Member

year of the Geno ! hate it or love it.

4. RexontheBeach

RexontheBeach Well-Known Member

It goes both ways.

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Yep, not very happy right now. If he won it that is one thing but to have it handed to him goes against everything we had been hearing.

6. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

This pretty much shows the point they're getting at. Right now Geno is number one on the depth chart. People aren't grasping the fact that if you want either quarterback to develop a repertoire with the receivers they can't alternate every other play. It echoes what Bowles said; Geno is the starter until he proves otherwise.

Someone on ESPN said it well today although I forgot who it was. He said that teams have such limited time with these players given the new CBA it makes it virtually impossible to have an open competition specifically at quarterback. If you literally split reps neither player is gelling with the offense like they need to be, and you end up with two guys that are half way prepared.

It's not like a defensive back that can hop in there and know he's playing man to man. Quarterbacks are responsible for every single player on the field including knowing where the entire defense is. After analyzing the defense and getting his offense into the right play he still has to do his job and make the right decision. It only becomes easier to do your job if you're doing it all summer with the same guys.

That and the fundamental fact that it's only May. Geno could lose his job a week into camp. It worries people but at least it's somewhat nice to see some decisiveness. Idzik and the whole regime preached how there was an open competition masked by the fact that there actually wasn't one. Pretty confusing for players.

As I alluded to in another thread we just have to hope (and I think they will do it the right way) they have a short leash on him and yank him if he's playing terrible the first three weeks. We shall certainly see.

I also doubt this staff will tolerate missed meetings and amateur stuff like that. Accountability seems to be at the top of Bowles list of values.

#206 Jonathan_Vilma, May 21, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Big Cat, APK 8 and FJF like this.
  7. johnnysd

johnnysd Well-Known Member

Anyone who thinks there was any vagueness or equivocation in Gailey's statements needs to watch the video. Also, Gailey is a very very good OC and he actually seems excited about Geno and specifically stated that the offense will be built around his strengths. Shouldn't we get behind the OC who is best equipped to choose the best QB for the offense?

Dreadmadseen, Big Cat and LAJet like this.
  8. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

Agreed! If Fitz can't go the first week, then I would rather start Simms or Petty. Smith has never earned anything and May is too early to name anything. I guess the Jets CS didn't change much from last year, an idiot at OC, a defensive coach who isn't in control, and no competition at every position.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

OMG Geno Smith managing the Jets Trust Fund in charge of all Macs "invstments"

The thought of that POS starting a third year makes me puke

Smith and Marshall have been practicing together so that also did it for OC

10. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Or OC sees a guy with all the physical tools that has had success in a similar system and thinks he can play well considering the strong supporting cast.

11. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Is that what I said? I simple asked which young guy. And to be straight about it YES I would rather Petty watch a knowledgeable vet than an established turn over machine. And "you people" need to learn what a turnover machine is. I am not happy with Fitz but given the choice?
    Again if Geno wins the competition fair and square I am in his corner. Don't "you people" ever learn that whenever we just give the job to a a QB who has failed in 2 or more consecutive seasons it fails.

#211 FlaJet, May 21, 2015
    NYJetsO12 likes this.
  12. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

Can't wait until he sees Geno in action..

13. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

That they would even approach a statement declaring him the automatic starter.

14. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

I personally love Geno Smith......He's a great leader and a force to be reckon with on 3rd down.I still watch his genius performance against the Bills and smile and a tear rolls down my cheek.And who can forget the day he blew off a team meeting to see "Gone Girl" that's the kind of guy I wanna be in the fox hole with.Geno is a leader of men,a man amongst boys "We will never see his like again"

#214 LongIslandBlitz, May 21, 2015
    mgjetman22, FlaJet, NYJetsO12 and 6 others like this.
  15. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Now THIS is what I call sarcasm.. Well Done!!!

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Just like Chip Kelly down in Philly, Gailey had better be right about Smith. Singing the praises of a 2 year marginally effective Qb isn't playing it safe by any means. At least all the excuses are gone now so if Smith shits the bed AGAIN, he should be gone. I think Fitz's age and broken leg has played into this decision. You get the feeling somehow that Fitz was the vet Qb of last resort dontcha..

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

Do you guys see what Fitz is looking like these days? He is in no shape to truly compete for anything at this time.

18. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Please don't encourage him...

FlaJet likes this.
  19. klecko73

klecko73 Guest

This announcement means nothing. It is only designed to give Geno the max #of reps in camp as Fitz doesn't need as many to be ready as he knows the offense. If Geno craps out in the preseason games - as that is ultimately the only performance that counts - then Fitz will get the job.

20. gfunkjet

gfunkjet New Member

Everyone needs to relax. This should not have come as a surprise to anyone. Geno is the most talented quarterback we have. I'm not saying that's a good thing, cuz it is not, it just is what it is. I am 100% in favor of this. Guy has no excuses left. He's been surrounded with above average talent, if he cannot get it done than at least we know for a fact that he cannot be our starting quarterback/future. Give him the nod, also give him a short leash. With great power comes great responsibility kind of thing