Per Chan Gailey - Barring injury, Geno is Week 1 starter

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, May 20, 2015.

?

Did the CS make the right decision regarding Geno

1. Yes - Geno was the only viable option at Qb so why not name his the starter and be done.

19 vote(s)
    21.8%
  2. No- There should have been competition for the job. Geno should have had to earn it.

35 vote(s)
    40.2%
  3. This is May. It doesn't matter what the CS says.

33 vote(s)
    37.9%
  1. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

As I responded in another post, I think doubletalk is becoming the new normal with the Jets when it comes to their Qb's.

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

But, the OC just said there wasn't gonna be one....

FlaJet likes this.
  3. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

i don't recall anyone stating there would be a wide open qb comp this year.
    i have this from bowles in march:
    "You take positions in training camp," Bowles had said at the NFL's annual meetingin March. "You're first-team, you want to stay first-team, you do your job. If you're not, you don't do your job, but we haven't seen Geno in a quarterbacking situation, so I'm not saying he's not going to be the quarterback or he is going to be the quarterback, he just starts out there."
    than the gailey quote today, where he said this:
    "Right now, Geno's the starter," Gailey said. "Unless something happens—an injury, or something like that, that you don't perceive, that's how we anticipate it going."
    also this:
    Asked to clarify whether the Jets ever considered having a quarterback competition this summer, Gailey said, "No. Wasn't a thought." Later, he added, "It's hard to have a quarterback competition going into a season."
    and finally this:
    "I expect great things," Gailey said. "I don't expect failure; I expect success. So it doesn't enter my mind about that kind of stuff; I don't even think about that. And I don't think any coach does. I think coaches anticipate the best. What kind of leaders would we be if we're thinking doom and gloom. But you have to sit there and anticipate that the guy's going to be very successful, and that's all that I'm thinking about right now. I'm not thinking about anything else."

all that was said today seems to jive with what bowles said back in march if you ask me

4. deerow84

deerow84 Well-Known Member

I don't like that they preached competition and then awarded it to Geno in may...but it was probably going to be him any way. Hopefully he sucks less or we are in for another long season.

FlaJet likes this.
  5. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

Bowles said Geno was the #1 a few weeks ago. The data is right there if you know where to look. Geno looked surprisingly good after the Buffalo benching with a subpar OC and below average weapons. He is a young QB with potential. Meanwhile Fitzpatrick is an old career backup that has been released or traded multiple times, at least once with Chan Gailey. Everything considered, Geno will be the starter and if he fails to succeed, Fitzpatrick will come in to finish the season. It's not rocket science.

Dreadmadseen and tiger8mush like this.
  6. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

If Fitzpatrick had to play in a wheelchair, I would still rather have him playing than Geno. And I think Fitzpatrick sucks.

7. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Over the last 5 years he's played in 13,16,16,11,12 games respectively. Those are not backup numbers. Is it rocket science to research his stats?

FlaJet likes this.
  8. DoubleDecker87

DoubleDecker87 Well-Known Member

That's pretty dumb. I'd rather take Geno.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Well Gaily is definitely playing psychologist by expecting the best and that's ok.

The coaches must have been guaranteed their jobs are safe for a couple a years till the QB question finally resolved.

It's just one big experiment and we get to watch. Whoop dee do

10. IDFjet

IDFjet Well-Known Member

Sorry DD--it is plainly true that RF is better than GS--look at the stats over the last 5 years. RF has more td than interceptions and at least an 80 rating every year. He doesn't suck and is actually very consistent and all the more mind-boggling that douche Gailey proclaimed GS the starter without competition.

FlaJet likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Is that a really big deal? Boyd is now on the Steelers and Simms hasn't come close to being a backup QB.

When is it time to end the Simms love? His father was overrated and so is his son.

12. joe

joe Well-Known Member

J - E - T - S………………jets!…….jets!……..jets!!!

#192 joe, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 21, 2015
    Dreadmadseen likes this.
  13. elgoman

elgoman Active Member

And he was released or traded from every team, one of those teams being Chan Gailey's. So Gailey knows Fitzpatrick's ability level and apparently doesn't think it is enough to start Fitzpatrick over Geno. That should tell you enough about Fitzpatrick, if Houston's GM trading him for a 7th rounder--rather than rolling with Fitzpatrick the franchise QB--isn't enough. Move on.

If Gailey thought Fitzpatrick was something besides a backup, he wouldn't have told Fitzpatrick that he has little hope of starting in NYJ, which is exactly what Gailey said he told Fitzpatrick at signing time. Fitzpatrick's fumble rate is about the same as Geno's, he has a weak arm, he checks down too much, etc. This has always been the case. He's similar to Brian Hoyer.

#193 elgoman, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Our defense will surely play well.

15. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Unlike Geno Smith, Simms has not taken the reigns and failed.

When he gets his shot and costs us a few games then we know that he isn't the answer.

Keeping him on the bench and not finding out what we have when the other guy stinks up the joint time and time again is just foolish.

If he can win a roster spot now with all of the competition he has maybe this coaching staff will finally give him a chance.

FlaJet likes this.
  16. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

This really isn't news. We all knew it was the incumbent's job to lose. Simms will never be given a chance. Petty isn't ready. Fitzpatrick isn't healthy.

17. The 1985er

The 1985er Well-Known Member

I'm not buying it, because if Fitz clearly outplays Geno in camp I can't see them going with Smith regardless. But you never know....

18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He blows man. He was horrendous in college and he has sat beneath some terrible QBs in the NFL and yet coaches still looked the other way.

He's been around long enough. He's not some undiscovered gem. He beat out Boyd who was a joke. He won't be on the roster Sept. 1st and likely his career will be over then.

19. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

So exactly what is a "competition" to you? I think every guy here ready to slash his wrists needs to think this out and figure out what he expected up until now and between now and Labor Day. Was this "competition" going to have a scorecard or just gut feelings? But mostly, does anyone here at all expect whoever is clearly at the top of his game relative to the other QBs to be sitting on the bench in week one? And is there anything, anywhere, attributed to anyone in the Jets organization that would lead one to believe that?

20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Fitz has a broken leg and won't even be available to 'compete' if he wanted to. Who's Geno supposed to compete against? Simms? I guess naming Revis a starting DB is bad too since he won't be forced to 'compete' with McDougle? If there's no one on the team to compete against, guess what. You're the starter.

tiger8mush likes this.