Pepper Johnson totally trashed Jets management and ownership

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Aug 31, 2018.

1. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I agree with most of what you said. Brady still has Bellicek and when Brady went down Garoppolo stepped in and won. Right now we don't have a coach that can make a team better. I believe Darnold will be a great QB I watched him for a few years. But players need playmakers and a team needs guys that can get that extra yard or stop a team from scoring. The Jets are not talented enough right now and definitely don't have the studs in place to make teams fear them on offense or defense.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

https://deadspin.com/q-a-pepper-johnson-on-drinking-with-bill-belichick-sp-1828726414

I just read this again, and in a way I am really pissed off. I know Deadspin sucks, but Pepper has a lot of great points:

- said that Bill B listened to his coaches, while Bowles wanted his way or nothing

- On why Bowles fired him: “I’m a strong believer of where the pass rush matches the coverage. This was one of the things that I could not get done with the Jets; I could not get the pass rush and the coverage together”

- asked why he couldn’t match the pass rush to the coverage, he had a very interesting response: “Because that wasn’t part of the philosophy of the secondary coach. And a lot of people didn’t understand that.”

- On Bowles’ influence on all of the defensive coaching: “He pretty much ran everything. What probably has me sitting at home now is me sharing this information with Todd, and no one else heard of it. Kacy [Rodgers, the Jets’ defensive coordinator] didn’t know that either, so he talked over it, and he went around it. We didn’t take time out to put emphasis on the coverage.”

- On why the pass rush wasn’t matching the coverage: “If we are pushing the pocket and the secondary guys are [playing] off, then it’s just pitch and catch [for the offense]. If we’re pushing the pocket and your guys are close, now the pass rush is matching the coverage. If your guys are off and we’re shooting moves, or we’re running pass-rush games, now the pass rush matches the coverage. Because now the coverage is playing for down-the-field passes and we’re rushing the quarterback for down the field passes.”

The last, especially is absolutely true about this defense, Bowles is a fucking moron, and I asked myself why are we always playing off coverage and never mess up the timing of the receivers.

The comments on Mac are also pretty awful too, this organization is not together at all.

#62 101GangGreen101, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    NCJetsfan, Brook!, twown and 8 others like this.
  3. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

As this season has unraveled I think back to this article often. Scary how true Pepper was. Biggest issue is that us as Jet fans have had to endure this. Hopefully we get it right this time. We deserve it. It's been too long and frustrating.

4. apjbfc

apjbfc Well-Known Member

If he wasnt happy. Why didnt he just resign, leave it as it is and try and get on another team somewhere even just being an assistant.

But he went out in a ball of flames instead, every head coach in the league saw a not very high up position coach trash his employer in the press.

His points are mute even if correct when you put it togther with his actions.

Sent from my SM-G610Y using Tapatalk

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Pepper was right. And to think they spent $95 million on Revis & Skrine... and another $72 million on Tru Johnson, just to have them play soft, off-coverage. terrible job coaching

NCJetsfan, Brook!, K'OB and 6 others like this.
  6. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

he completely alienated himself, I wonder if he will get another job.

7. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He may or may not, but that doesn’t necessarily make him wrong in his account of his time with the team.

Don’t really care about his career to be honest.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  8. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

How reckless was Johnson to give Bowles a 2-year extension? Bowles should have never been hired in the first place and should have been canned but McCown who hasn't won anywhere won, 5 games. That is how low the bar is set for the Jets...5 games.

ColoradoContrails likes this.