Pepper Johnson totally trashed Jets management and ownership

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by dmw, Aug 31, 2018.

1. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I read thru everyones posts beforehand then I went and read the article. I don't take Peppers comments as gospel but I also don't just dismiss him as JUST a bitter guy. I think it would be interesting if another coach or named source came out and says similar comments.

boozer32, NYJetsO12 and Red Menace like this.
  2. DefenseWinsChampionships

Yea, Pepper is to be taken with a grain of salt.

3. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

probs

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

The question I have is: what's the agenda here, for Johnson and for the journalist? This is old news, so to dredge it up now there must be some reason. Talking about your former employer to the media - unless there's some damn good reason, like they're dumping chemicals in the city water supply, or colluding with Russia - doesn't usually make people sympathize with you. Shut up and move on.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

If he needs everything around him to be perfect to succeed he's not a true franchise QB. Truly great QBs elevate the play of ALL those around them/wor k with what they got.

He has weapons let's see if he can get them the ball.

6. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

A lot of guys here defending the regime against Johnson's claims but no one refuting anything he specifically said. Hmmm.

boozer32 and Red Menace like this.
  7. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

That is not all the way true. Terry Bradshaw was labeled a moron during his playing career. But he had Lynn Swann, John Stallworth, Franco Harris and Rocky Blier. Then on defense, he never had to worry about because he had Mean Joe, Ham, Lambert, Blount, Greenwood. It takes a certain amount of talent and coaching to achieve that. Don't even get me started on the Montana 49ers.

BomberJet likes this.
  8. boozer32

That is true. Much of what he said was said numerous times just on this board. Parcells loved guys like Johnson and they would run through a brick wall for him.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Pepper’s point about how the coverage and the pass rush don’t match with Bowles’ D is dead on right!!

But how was the pass rush not matching the coverage?

If we are pushing the pocket and the secondary guys are [playing] off, then it’s just pitch and catch [for the offense]. If we’re pushing the pocket and your guys are close, now the pass rush is matching the coverage. If your guys are off and we’re shooting moves, or we’re running pass-rush games, now the pass rush matches the coverage. Because now the coverage is playing for down-the-field passes and we’re rushing the quarterback for down the field passes.”

10. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Woody Johnson, Pepper Johnson, same chit difference to me.

11. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

MrsChampionshipJets says, "Screw that Salty Dick!" :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

12. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Exactly why I don't find him credible and think he's a bitter asshat.

There has not been one coach or player that has come out supporting these comments nor has anyone made similar observations. We all know Woody is a moron, that's not news to anyone on here. But wouldn't you think if this were true, more would be heard about it?

After last season, guys on the roster were praising Todd Bowles and were hoping he would be retained for at least another year. Now you want me to belive one asshat who is no longer on the coaching staff and is basically praising himself and bashing everyone else?

13. BomberJet

BomberJet Well-Known Member

Pepper's interview with Consentino was very interesting and informative. "Stay in your lane" philosophy by the Bills? The 'round table' strategy meetings with the Pats? Details like this make you wonder.

#53 BomberJet, Sep 2, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2018
  14. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Of course the players on the roster support Bowles, he doesn’t hold them accountable for anything.

That’s means nothing to me. I’m more willing to take Peppers word for it than theirs

15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

News Flash: Terry Bradshaw is still a moron. I want to throw a pie in his face every time he opens his mouth just so he'll stop talking.

boozer32 and joe like this.
  16. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

I'm not more willing to take one more than the other.

My point is, you have a guy who was fired and is now coming out with a bunch of nonsense, none of which has been confirmed by anyone else. Not one leak about any of this. Not one player, current or former, and not one other coach or staff member, current or former, has verified any of this.

I'll pass on all of it

K'OB likes this.
  17. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Pepper sounds a lot like Rex did when he got fired. Bashing the Jets and telling the media how great he was. Until reality set in in Buffalo and he got fired there too.

Falco21 likes this.
  18. boozer32

LOL

19. Patriot

Patriot Well-Known Member

There is a reason why he never got promoted to DC with the Pats.

20. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I'm using Brady and Manning as the standards.

When Manning went down the Colts went from a perennial playoff team to a 2-14 #1 pick overall team.

It doesn't matter who Brady has around him he always gets the job done.

Brees lost his #1 wr last year he got the job done.

Darnold is a rookie this season so I'm not expecting him to be Superman (though that would be nice if he does play that well:)).

Utlimately he has to get the job done regardless of who he has around him. If je's one of these guys that needs a great wall in front of him, a star studded supporting cast, a great head coach to succeed to me he'll be a system QB not a true franchise QB.

boozer32 likes this.