Penny is starting this week

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by kelly, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Canadian

Canadian New Member

Good luck Chad! :jets:

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The odds on Chad remaining the Jet's starting QB even to mid-season are only about even at this point. Here are all the things that could change that:

1. The Jet's o-line is not up to protecting a fragile QB. This is the elephant in the room at the moment because there's a real chance Chad goes out next week against the Dolphin's pass rush or the week after @ Buffalo (Aaron Schobel?) or the week after that against the Giants (Strahan?).

We can talk all we want about how the Pats and the Ravens were the toughest pass rushes we'll face all year and that does not change the fact that in the next 3 weeks D'Brick matches up against Jason Taylor, Aaron Schobel and Michael Strahan. Chad is going to survive that? Probably not.

2. Chad's leash is shorter now, because there is another intriguing option on the bench to replace him. Last year Chad had really bad games week 5 against Jacksonville and week 8 against Cleveland. The next stinker he has will probably see Clemens come in at the half. Mangini is going to have to be thinking: "ok, down 14-3 at the half, now which of my QB's gives me the best chance to put up a couple of quick scoring drives to open the half?"

3. Kellen Clemens is a talented QB who has some growing pains ahead of him, like any NFL QB in his first year on the job not named Dan Marino or Ben Roethlisberger. The talent is more important than the growing pains at this point and as soon as case 1 or 2 presents itself I'm fairly certain Mangini will make the switch without thinking too hard about it. It's his job to do what's in the best interests of the Jets and milking a few wins out of Chad vs developing a potentially great QB is just a completely unbalanced equation.

This story that we are about to see played out in front of us is as old as professional sports. I'll guarantee you the aging Javelin throwers in the early Olympics some 2700 years ago were looking over their shoulders at the young guys and wondering who was going to take their job.

3. Willie WhiteShoes

Willie WhiteShoes New Member

Many believed that Bolly was too small/short to be effective as a QB. Clemmens seems to be just as small/short. Does anyone think he's the next Brady, Manning, Elway, Farve, fill in the blank ____________ ? If he isn't one of them, then we need some other game-breaking stud in one of the other skill positions to get to a SB. We don't have any.

#63 Willie WhiteShoes, Sep 18, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2007
  4. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

Nah. I know there are pros and cons to letting the new guy run with the team. I was impressed by his fourth quarter surge. He lead the team well. He just held onto the ball too long when the line gave him an opportunity. There was also a delay of game penalty on a 3rd and 11 which is inexcusable. He makes me excited for the future. My current stance is he needs to gain more confidence and get more reps with the first squad in practice. 3/4 of that game was hard to watch under his command.

5. DOOM

DOOM Active Member

I agree with your opinion of our Defense. Mangini needs to respect the organization and the fans by giving the Jets the best opportunity to succeed.

6. gustoonarmy

gustoonarmy 2006-2007 TGG.com Best International Poster of the

I'm not so sure he does. Look at the whole PK affair and how egos overshadowed team need.
    At the beginning of this year we all read that the Jets were not happy with where Clemens should be in terms of developement. Well with a generous helping of swiss cheese Oline , I don't see him being able to develope his game .
    As much as I love Chad, we are just treading water with him. When/if this franchise gets its act together and becomes a legitimate SB contender , he will not be a part of it , so why don't we start with the most important component on the team , QB.
    Unfortunatley KC will get his chance again soon as Chad will once again get injured , with this Oline the ability to run is not an option.
    Talking of running what has happened to our much vaunted new running game , 64 yards in 2 games :shit:

7. kelly

kelly Banned

i think he'll be our starting QB within a year . . . :beer:

[​IMG]

8. pennington4life

pennington4life New Member

3-2 after five callin it right now..

9. csw572

csw572 Banned

I didnt take the time to read every post.

Pennington should be the starter unless he is injured for the next three weeks no matter what. If he loses 2 out of 3 with short of solid performances don't be suprised to see Clemens on week 6. People need to realize that the next 3 games under the "should win/should lose" approach we should go 3-0 and all of a sudden we are back in the running. Especially with teams like the Giants, Bengals, Eagles, and other teams on our schedule that were supposed to be good that dont really look too hot at the moment. Its almost a blessing in disguise that he didn't start against the Ravens because he probably would have gotten snapped in half with all of that pressure. We might have lost him for about another 5 weeks. So hopefully he comes into this game very healthy and puts us on a role for the next 3-4 weeks.

10. JETSFANDC

JETSFANDC New Member

NEW YORK -- "This is the wrong reaction."

Those were the words of CBS' Jim Nantz, describing the fan response at the Meadowlands in Week 1, when Jets starting quarterback Chad Pennington literally hopped off the field on one leg after badly injuring his right ankle, and backup QB Kellen Clemens ran onto the field to replace him.

Kurt Snibbe/Page 2 artist
    Loud cheers rained down from the stands.

Realize, those fans were cheering the replacement of the winningest quarterback in franchise history, and the quarterback with the second-highest completion percentage (65.2) in NFL history!

They'd rather see a second-year quarterback who threw only two passes his entire rookie season, and who looked impressive this preseason playing against second- and third-stringers.

Why? It's just the latest manifestation of that age-old staple of NFL Overreaction Nation: the love affair with the backup quarterback.

We see it time and time again. Whether the backup QB is a young colt who hasn't been broken in yet, or a grizzled vet with a little something left in the tank, a team's fan base becomes enamored with him and his potential. A quarterback controversy swirls up and gains steam. The grass is always greener on the other side of the depth chart.

In this case, many Jets fans have fallen in love with a second-round pick out of Oregon in 2006 whose claim to fame is a strong right arm -- the one knock on Pennington being that he doesn't have a very strong arm.

Scott Boehm/Getty Images

In Week 1, Jets fans left little doubt about which quarterback they preferred.
    And all those Jets fans who cheered Clemens' appearance in Week 1 must have been delighted at the beginning of Week 2, because even though Pennington dressed and wanted to play, Clemens got the start in Baltimore against the Ravens.

On Sunday afternoon, at the ESPN Zone smack in the heart of Times Square, the Jets' fans in attendance seemed pretty excited about their team's prospects before the game -- despite having a quarterback making his first NFL start and facing the league's No. 1 defense from 2006. For instance, Mike Beckerman, Adam Robles and Brian Convey -- three young Jets fans in their 20s -- performed the customary "J-E-T-S Jets Jets Jets!" chant just prior to kickoff at their booth on the right-hand side of the second-floor bar.

Their enthusiasm did not wane much as Clemens got off to a rocky start against the Ravens, including throwing an interception on his second throw of the day. "I think [Clemens] is ready," Convey said assuredly.

Nobles was asked how much he actually knows about Clemens. "Not so much, to be honest," he replied. "But I know Kellen Clemens is our future."

Jets fans had a little more to cheer about in the second half, as Clemens played better and led the team to 10 fourth-quarter points. But he couldn't quite complete the comeback, as the Jets fell to Baltimore 20-13.

Clemens' final numbers? He completed 19 of 37 passes for 260 yards, with one touchdown and two interceptions. Not bad ? but not as good as what Pennington typically delivers. Or even what he delivered in Week 1 -- 16-for-21 for 167 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions against the Patriots -- much of it while he was practically playing on one leg after re-entering the game.

And yet, typically, sports talk radio in New York on Monday was aflutter with the swirling winds of a quarterback controversy. On "Mike and the Mad Dog" on WFAN Monday afternoon, the first two Jets callers of the day were firm in their decision on the situation.

"This is the Clemens era," said Anthony from Staten Island. "I love [Pennington's] heart but he has no arm."

"Pennington's a nice guy," said Dave from Brooklyn. "[But] it's time for Clemens."

Football fans in New York City are a pretty depressed bunch right now. Both the Giants and the Jets are 0-2, and both teams' playoff prospects look awfully bleak -- no overreaction there. Pennington will probably start for the Jets next week. But at least Jets fans have Kellen Clemens -- that possibility, that potential, that promise of a better tomorrow -- to hold on to.

Ignorance is bliss, right?

11. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Check down Chad! This is great stuff! I love it. I will add this to my arsenal over the next few weeks when I post about Chad!

12. FOURTHANDLONG

They chucked the season because the two time SB winning Coach realized that Plummer would never win the big one. So instead of a one and done playoff loss he gave Cutler the reps he needed to be ready this year. A year later they are closer to the Sb than we are because of it. They took a step back to move a step forward. We will continue to start chad and release him after this year. Clemens will have to come in next season and learn all the things he could have gotten out of the way this year because our Fans scream for a one and done playoff berth. I have no illusions. The Jets are not going to the Sb so let the kid play!

13. FOURTHANDLONG

The question is who would want a starting Qb who can not bring the team back from 14 points with a qtr to go. FOr the first time in years I felt the game was not over last week when Clemens was in.

14. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Nothing like bringing back the Dink, dunk, and punt style of play. It should lull the Dolphins, the Refs and the crowd into a coma and we'll win 12-9..

15. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Well put and if Mangini was as secure in his job as Shanahan is in his then maybe he would but Mangini isn't and shouldn't be so wins are all that is important to him at this point. Politically, it's the only move he can make. Pennington is the winniest QB in Jets history and has the 2nd highest completion percentage in NFL history even if half of them originated behind the line of scrimmage. It reminds me of a truism in my field that lasted for years where everybody always used brand A even though brand B was known to be better. It went like this. If you buy brand A and it fails, that's a shame. If you buy brand B and it fails you're fired. Same with Mangini. If he goes with Pennington and they lose, well that's a shame. If he goes with Clemens and they lose he too will be fired.

#75 Don, Sep 19, 2007
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2007
  16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

It's only right that Chad starts. Kellen proved he is capable of coming in and playing if needed to. But still, Chad was still announced as the starting QB for this Jets team.

Get it done on Sunday Chad! :)

17. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3030912&campaign=rss&source=NFLHeadlines

18. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

that's only if the defense comes out of its coma.:sad:

19. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I still say you guys are borderline retarded. Who our starting QB is has been a non issue since the third week of camp last season. The backup plays when the starter is hurt, then the starter comes back in. What part of that don't you guys understand?

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

That's what I came in here looking for.

Does Mangini not know what the Probable categorisation is for?