Penn State scandal thread (merged 3x)

Discussion in 'NCAA' started by TheBlairThomasFumble, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Jesus, just think how bad this gets if players were victimized, but it seems Sandusky had a thing for younger, defenseless kids so until former players come forward, I can't see it.

Maybe it was like walking in our your parents having sex. You just want to close the door and get away from there ASAP. I guess I can forgive that, but the fucker should've gone to the cops immediately.

2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

that would only answer why he didn't do anything immediately, not why he didn't call the police afterward.

the analogy has been made before; had he seen the kid being murdered what would he have done? would he have called his dad? only told JoePa? or would he have tried to save the kid or called the police?

likely he would have behaved differently, so the question is why didn't he in this situation? he knew it was a crime. he had to know he should do more than pass it off to someone else to deal with rather than pursue justice, unless he was more concerned about himself, and thus benefited by allowing others handle it. by doing so, he became complicit in the cover up as well IMO.

he'll never be charged criminally with that I am certain, but there are social repercussion to that behavior, and that is no team would ever trust him with their players at any level because he clearly doesn't have the integrity to guide them.

his days are done as a football coach, and rightfully so. that may not be the most deserving punishment, but it is certainly fitting.

3. TommyGreen

TommyGreen Trolls

No sympathy for the McQueery guy. He gambled that his silence will help further his career, and he lost. That's pretty much it.

4. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

I thought about that too, but then why would he have called his dad or even have reported it. If he had been abused too, then he just would have thought that was Sandusky being Sandusky and not told anyone because he didn't want anyone to know what happened to him

That's fine with freezing up and running, I can see a large proportion of well meaning people doing that (the rest would pummel him). But when you take yourself out of the situation the only answer for anyone with even a remote sense of self-worth is to call the police, or at the VERY VERY MINIMUM follow up after having reported it to the campus, like in a few days let alone a few years.

5. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I agree. Anyone could have frozen, and decided not to act in that freaky of a situation, but even a coward could have, would have and should have called the police.

That makes McQ less than a coward in my book.

A big, physically fit, 28 year old man saying to himself, "Let me ask my dad what I should do" tells you that he didn't learn anything about being an adult, making the right decision, and standing on his own two feet.

Not from his parents, not from the renowned institute of higher learning, and definitely not from the vaunted football program.

6. JetBlue

I think it reveals he behaved exactly as his parents taught him -- to look out for only himself if his dad's advice was to tell JoePa and not the police. clearly his dad was thinking primarily about how his son could protect his position rather than protecting the kid.

7. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

From: Growing Up Penn State - By Michael Weinreb POSTED NOVEMBER 8, 2011

The kids from the neighborhood would gather to play basketball in my driveway, not because I was particularly popular, but because we had a good hoop. In high school, we engaged in epic pick-up football games in Sunset Park, a little patch of grass right next to a house owned by Joe and Sue Paterno. In the second grade, my Little League coach was an enormous neighbor of ours named Mr. McQueary, and his son Mike was the best player on our team.1 We went to school at Park Forest Junior High, and then we went to State College High School, where we learned how to drive and how to date and how to do quadratic equations. We were the sons of farmers and college professors and football coaches. One of my brother's classmates was named Sandusky; one of my classmates was named Sandusky, too.2 I goofed off in the back of Latin class with a kid named Scott Paterno.3 We knew who their fathers were; their fathers were royalty to us, even if we acted like it was no big deal. Our football team's nickname was the Little Lions. There was no way to extricate the happenings at our school from the happenings at the university, and the happenings at the university always centered around football. Everything in State College — even the name of our town — was one all-encompassing, synergistic monolith, and Joe Paterno was our benevolent dictator, and nothing truly bad ever happened, and even when it did, it was easier just to blot it from our lives and move on.

2 While the Sanduskys could not have children of their own, they adopted six, which is one of those facts that feels telling only in retrospect.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/7205085/growing-penn-state

The McQueary's, Sandusky's and Paterno's and their kids all knew and lived/grew up together....

#487 JetsFan56, Nov 11, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2011
  8. TheBlairThomasFumble

TheBlairThomasFumble Active Member

This is where the rubber hits the road here. I can give maybe McQ. a pass up to the point where he finds out that JoePa and the administrators are not going to immediately go to the cops. Look, there's no way around the fact that raping a child is a horrendous crime - no reasonable person can conclude "eh, it's not that big a deal if JoePa isn't going to the cops." McQ was more concerned about his job at that point. And what the fuck is wrong with McQ's mother or father going to the cops? They knew too!

More fuel for the fire.

http://pittsburgh.cbslocal.com/2011/11/10/ex-psu-presidents-severance-package-could-reach-millions/

PA taxpayers should be FUCKING OUTRAGED if this comes to pass.

9. TheBlairThomasFumble

Yes and in the meantime Sandusky - who is fucking out on BAIL right now - was probably raping this poor kid over and over.

10. JetBlue

http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_...rotection-reporting-sandusky-alleged-incident

ESPN article addressing whether McQueary is protected by whistle blower status.

I'm curious to see how that is addressed. he didn't blow the whistle, he simply informed his superiors. blowing a whistle would seem to be going to the authorities afterward when nothing was done, thus his job was protected from retaliation.

there clearly was no retaliation for his initial actions so he wouldn't be fired because he was a whistle blower, he would be fired because his lack of action revealed the opposite -- he didn't blow the whistle on the institutions actions.

11. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Best post in here. The apologists are really infuriating to not see how complicit Paterno, the red head fag and all the higher ups at that university and in that police precinct were. For fucks sake, they allowed this perv to continue to use the football program to lure children into, well, the fucking shower. What assholes they all are.

12. TheBlairThomasFumble

Agreed. And I can understand why the university lawyers may have told the Board to Trustees that you can't fire this guy, maybe yet, or maybe ever, until we consider the implications of the law more carefully.

13. TheBlairThomasFumble

Joe Pa knew. The grand jury report clearly says that he told the university officials that McQ. had seen something of a SEXUAL NATURE going on in the shower - in other words, JoePa knew a crime had been committed.

And like you've guys all said, let's face it, JoePa ran Penn State. If he had said "Sandusky's gotta go and I'm going to the cops," the prez and the other two guys would have followed suit. JoePa had all the power on campus. Sickening beyond belief.

14. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/dpps/ne...tate-amid-scandal-dpgonc-20111111-kh_15912285

Sponsors Cut Ties with Penn State Amid Scandal

In a statement, Cars.com said it informed ESPN earlier this week of its decision to withdraw advertisements for Saturday's game as well as Penn State's Nov. 19 game against Ohio State, "due to the recent allegations surrounding the Penn State Football program."
    Advertising Age also pointed out the "sponsorships" page on Penn State's athletics website, which usually lists more than two dozen sponsors -- including Pepsi and Nike -- was now blank.

15. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

Hope more follow their lead!

16. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

Sandusky was actively recruiting on behalf of Penn State last spring, while he and PSU were being investigated by the Grand Jury.

GREER, S.C. -- The Penn State fallout is having a trickle-down effect on high school football recruiting.

Adam Ah Ching, a senior linebacker at Greer High School, told WYFF News 4’s Kim Quintero that he’s played football since he was 6 and has his sights set on playing college ball.

“When you're Polynesian, growing up, football is No. 1 in your life,” said Ah Ching.

Ranked last year by ESPNU as the 26th linebacker prospect in the country, Ah Ching said he was paid a visit by Penn State's former assistant coach, Jerry Sandusky.

“He came to my last spring game going into my senior season. He liked how I moved, laterally, and how gifted I am,” said Ah Ching.

But days after Sandusky was charged with sexually abusing young boys, leading to the firing of football coach Joe Paterno and university President Graham Spanier, Ah Ching scratched Penn State off his list of where he'd continue his football career.

“It's very devastating to have a top-tiered program and have them drop like that,” said Ah Ching. “That really did play a big impact on where I wanted to go.”

Otto Ah Ching, Adam’s dad, supports his decision.

“Do you want to be associated with the mess that's still going to come down the road here?” said Otto Ah Ching.

Ah Ching says other young football players like himself feel the same.

“All these recruits are decommiting because of that,” said Ah Ching. “It’s sad, depressing and devastating.”

Ah Ching said he hasn't decided on which college he'll continue his football career with.

http://www.wyff4.com/news/29738465/detail.html#.Tr17KoFYfCg.twitter

17. Lynkx

Lynkx Active Member

How can more follow their lead when the entire sponsor page was blank? Every one of their sponsors pulled out.

18. JetsFan56

JetsFan56 New Member

Who knew what about Sandusky? There were many missed chances as early as '95

Too long to post the article..Give it a read.

A Patriot-News Special Report: Who knew what about Jerry Sandusky? There were many missed chances to investigate as early as 1995

Published: Friday, November 11, 2011, 12:19 AM

By SARA GANIM, The Patriot-News

What did they know and when did they know it?

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2011/11/who_knew_what_about_jerry_sand.html

19. BK_Jetsfan

BK_Jetsfan New Member

He was just placed on "administrative leave"

20. JetFanInMD

JetFanInMD New Member

@judybattista
    Judy Battista
    The NCAA wants to see if there were violations? Seriously, does it have to be written into the code that coaches should not abuse children?