Pats sign Shaun Ellis

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BroadwayAaron, Aug 7, 2011.

1. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Oh, I get it now! You're saying that the Jets DL sucked last year, and it was only because the Pats OL were so bad that the Jets beat them... OK :up:

2. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

Jesus Christ, calm down with the caps and the punctuation marks. Havinga bad day or something? I got my numbers fucked up. For some reason I thought I remembered Gastineau having more than 90.
    Shit. Don't have a fucking fit over it or anything.

And why the fuck would Ellis care about that anyway?

3. ........

........ Trolls

More than 100. I've been wondering why people kept talking about SE becoming the career leader.

4. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

LT-Matt Light
    LG-Logan Mankins
    C-Dan Koppen
    RG-Dan Connolly
    RT-Sebastian Vollmer

Mankins is the best guard in the league and Vollmer was a 2nd team All-Pro in his 2nd season. Light has been very good for most of his career. Koppen and Connolly aren't great, but they have been pretty good. I'd say the Jets and the Patriots have very similar offensive lines.

5. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Jesus, just read this... I don't know, I'm pissed off by it. I'd like to see our management show a little love to the vets. Anyone blaming Ellis for this is insane. I'm sure he wanted to stay but felt insulted and unwanted by the cold shoulder he received after a terrific career here. It's not like Jason taylor situation. Ellis should have been treated better.

Ellis could have contributed this year, especially as a mentor to the rooks we just drafted. The fact that he's headed to NE makes it worse. I'd like to know the particulars of what was offered and what he asked for in order to be sure, but for now...

I think this sucks.

6. maxbc89

maxbc89 New Member

Similar may be pushing it. Light and Mankins are a really good 1-2, but not as good of a 1-2 as Mangold/Ferguson. I think having Moore gives us the edge and makes oure O-Line clearly better. That said, the Pats have a good line and a QB that gets rid of the ball quickly enough that sacks are never an issue. Ellis's performance in the AFC Championship was largely aided by an awesome coverage scheme by Rex.

7. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

I love how only the attention getting part of Rex's comments reach the public. I expect better from Manish, really... Here is the complete statement from Rex

"He's a great player, number one. The two years I've gotten to know him, I've really enjoyed him. Tough guy. He's a tough guy. The 'Big Cat' fit him; he's a big, athletic guy. The fact that he chose them, and all that, I think said before, there's no way I'm going to wish him well. There's no chance of that. I wish him to be healthy, but I don't want him to play that well. But he knows. I know the way he is too. He's going to be revved up, ready to go, and our guys will be too. So it will be fun going against him.

"Obviously, I have a great deal of respect for Shaun. Like I said before, made the Pro Bowl his first year when I was here. His biggest game that he played last year, we all remember, was against New England. He played tremendously. He's a good football player.

"I will say this. I'll warn some of their guys, 'be careful, you don't want to fight Shaun.' He's one of the toughest guys I've ever been around. He is a tough guy and he is going to be missed."

Ryan later added that salary-cap considerations figured into the Jets' decision-making with Ellis.

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/

8. guinness77

guinness77 Active Member

you know, I thought so. 75 seemed kind of low for him. I never liked the guy, but he could get to the QB better than anyone else in franchise history. Spoiled as a youth, I guess.

9. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

Here is ESPN's numbers as far as sacks go

Ellis has earned respect throughout a career in which he has piled up 72½ sacks, ranking third on the Jets' career list behind Joe Klecko (77½) and Mark Gastineau (107½).

http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/new-england-patriots/

10. maxbc89

maxbc89 New Member

Agreed. We've lost sight of the whole Play Like A Jet concept. J-Co and Ellis were Jets that I grew up watching and they just kind of got the cold shoulder. I don't really blame the Jets for the J-Co situation, he wasn't going to be a #2 receiver for us if we wanted to really contend, but offering Ellis the minimum was a slap in the face.

Then again, signing with the Pats is a slap in the face as well.

11. PatPatriot

PatPatriot Member

I would argue that the 2 best lineman on the Patriots are Mankins and Vollmer. Vollmer is a beast at right tackle. Light is very solid, but he gets beat by speed rushers. Having Mankins for the whole season is going to be huge too. Both teams' O-lines are real good.

12. REVIS ISLAND 619

REVIS ISLAND 619 New Member

anyone get the details of his deal yet!?

13. ........

........ Trolls

He had 33 sacks over the 4 seasons in which sacks weren't an official stat. It seems stupid to me to discount those.

14. CJLang

CJLang Well-Known Member

This is the Pats we're talking about. Nobody is even sure what's actually up with Ocho and Haynesworth's contracts right now!

15. JetsUK

JetsUK Well-Known Member

And yet you know the only thing you will see on crap like PFT is "Rex disrespects longest tenured Jet"

Sad

16. AbdulSalam

AbdulSalam New Member

I wished we'd offered him more than the vet min. not sure what is up w/that. Hopefully there is a plan to successfully address DE & DL

17. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Are you sure you a Jets fan, I swear everything I read from you, its so negitive and anti Jet. I find it hard to believe you have not found another team who would make you happier. You seem to piss on everything the Jets are trying to do

I bet your that guy at the draft who when we took Mark, was shaking his head and crying "Terriable".... come on admitt it, your him, aren't you ?

18. James Calvin

James Calvin Banned

ALL of Ellis' sacks in the NE playoff game were coverage sacks. There was no one open down field and Brady is never going to run for something even if half the field is open.

After seeing everybody covered for about 5-10 seconds, Brady was just watching Ellis, waiting for him to finally break loose from the blocking.

I think they just signed Ellis so Brady won't have to fear 'that scary big black man' again.

Fortunately we have more 'scary big black men' that will be happy to keep sacking Brady. And the coverage to make it happen.

19. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

dead meat.

20. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Your hopeless man. Why the hell should the Jets have given him an extension? For his one game out of 19 he showed up? After he had DUI and drug issues? Give him an extension. Would you have liked him around when he was 40? That's certainly what it sounds like to me. You pick and choose your arguments and whatever side you choose your always wrong. Your just a troll and you just stir shit up. Your opinions are never anything more then troll banter. You never provide anything worth a crap in a thread because all you do is pick the opposite side of what the majority say and make a mockery out of it. If you have a problem with the way Rex and Tanny who oh BTW have have probably taken this franchise in 2 years then any coach this team has ever had sans Weeb go root for somebody else.

Honestly I don't give a rats ass what he signed for in New England because after what he showed last year all he was worth was the league min. He's what 34 or 35 now? Yeah lets give him an extension. I could care less that he signed with another team but I do take issue with it being the Pats. Business is business I understand but at this stage of his career who gives him a better shot to win the SB? Maybe it's the Pats but we did beat them twice last year. At the end of the day Ellis showed his true colors and it's not about winning it's about $$$. That's fine. Like Rex said I wish him health, sorry won't hope he gets hurt but I hope he sucks to now end and gets cut in TC. Then that vet min the Jets offered won't look so bad.