Patrick Ramsey (In Depth Analysis)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by arsenal1189, Mar 24, 2006.

1. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Ramsey was HORRIBLE at the Redskins Training Camp Sessions I attended last year.

Hopefully this so called upside comes true.

2. Ramseyfan

Ramseyfan New Member

Don't worry about it.

He played his best football in those last seven games he started in 2004, evidence that the Spurrier experience didn't shatter his confidence...and all Gibbs did was piss him off.

3. cowboyup

cowboyup New Member

Dude I was at 90% of the skins training camps last year and Ramsey was by far the best looking QB there. Chad does not want to be anywhere near Ramsey when they are at practice. Ramsey made Brunnel and Campbell look like children when they threw next to him. Ramsey's ball has a completely different flight to it!

#23 cowboyup, Mar 25, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  4. Richiebsweet

Richiebsweet Active Member

Ramsey is a gunslinger, I'll give him that but I want a winner at quarterback. Draft Vince Young, ASAP!

5. MN_Jet_Fan

MN_Jet_Fan New Member

My thoughts exactly. Coaching can alleviate his problems recognizing the pass rush IMO.

6. Willie WhiteShoes

Willie WhiteShoes New Member

First I have to say this is a pretty good analysis for any one to compile much less a 16 year old. So good job. If Ramsey were to be compared to any Jet QB it would probably be Vinny first and maybe Ken O'Brien second. Both had great passing ability yet both had trouble getting away from the rush, taking too many sacks and tossing the ball up when rushed. However Ramsey still appears to be more illusive than both of them and Pennington as well, even with all of those sacks in two years. If he can increase his field awareness, he can be a highly effective QB in this league. His arm strength and accuracy are not something that can be taught.

7. Buttle

Buttle New Member

Good information. The only thing I would differ on is number 5. I remember reading a scouting report praising his footwork and pocket presence prior to the 2004 season. Ramsey is said to have very good pocket presence and very good feet but he tends to hold the ball to long trying to make a play. He has recieved lots of praise for his toughness, heart and intangibles.

Regardless of which scouting report is right his pocket presence and footwork is light years ahead of Chads who might have the worst pocket presence and awareness of any modern day QB.

8. DrShrinker

DrShrinker New Member

I have been watching Ramsey play for the past few years. I have to say I disagree primarily on one point. His accuaracy is very inconsistent. Yes, Ramsey has a strong arm, but sometimes his passes lack touch. He often overthrows receivers and has trouble placing the ball over the top...His accuracy excels when he is able to put the ball on a rope. It is a bit of a jekel and hyde dilemma. Also, he has had problems reading defenses, often throwing picks at crucial moments. I have seen several instances were Ramsey has thrown into double or triple coverage. He needs more experience. I do believe despite his weaknesses, Ramsey could become a good starter given the right coaching and surrounding cast.

#28 DrShrinker, Mar 25, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2006
  9. MobiusOne28

MobiusOne28 New Member

Great post. I really liked the Ramsey trade. The kid has all the physical tools you want in a QB-most of his weaknesses can be coached to get worked on. Hopefully Schottenheimer can do what he did with Brees and make Ramsey into the QB he's capable of becoming.

10. Zcore

Zcore New Member

I personaly don't like the Ramsey trade. He just doesn't get me excited for being the starter for this team. I much rather go in with Matt or Chad* (if healthy)

11. VegasMav

VegasMav Well-Known Member

I think this kid can flourish as long as the Jets get some OL help and Shottenhiemer can work this kid like Drew Brees.