Passing on Young would like being

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by #1 Jets Fan, Apr 13, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

serphnx COME ON JUMP ON THE BANDWAGON VINCE YOUNG OR BUST

2. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

I'm not going to deny that the upside for Young is great, however this risk that comes with Young for me is far to great to invest a top 5 pick on him. Since he played in a gimmicky offense and has the low release point I think he is going to need at least 2 years. Also I don't think he is fast enough to have a Vick/Cunningham impact as a runnerAs a result his downside is very low. Yes I can see where he becomes a Donovan McNabb type QB, at the same time I can just as easily see him being a poor man's Aaron Brooks/Quincy Carter type as well.

Leinart doesn't have the upside, but coming from the pro-style offense and he's so polished that barring injury at worst I think he's Brad Johnson. Another reason I am anti-Young is that I think Bush, D'Brick, Mario, Hawk, Vernon Davis, and Huff are all players that IMO multi-time pro-bowl players.

Maybe I am just too conservative in this situation (I'll admit I was wrong in the past on a guy like Chris Gamble), but I just couldn't pass on a D'Brick, Mario, or Hawk over a guy as risky as Young is.

3. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

I agree with that 100%.

4. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

I have one question for the Vince haters:

Vince Young was better than Michael Vick in college. He passed the ball better, and he led his team to a championship. In fact, there is no comparison between the two in terms of passing.

If Vick is good enough to be the starter in Atlanta, then how could Young possibly be a bust?

Answer me that.

5. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

I dont think that Young is like Vick at all. He is more like Culpepper. I dont hate him nor do I understand why people love him so much. He is going to have trouble to start in the NFL but should be ok after that, I dont think that he will be an all pro, just an average qb.

6. deviljets7

deviljets7 Well-Known Member

My main reason would be that I don't think Young will have a Vick/Cunningham type of impact with his legs. Young is fast, but he isn't as fast as the 2 I mentioned. It seemed like a lot of his big runs (especially vs USC) was because he was too physical for defense. I just can't see that happening against the likes of Zach Thomas, Bruschi, Vrabel, Spikes and other top level LB's.

7. Mexican Buc

Mexican Buc Well-Known Member

Vince is so overlooked becuase of "other" holes this team has. HELLO!? You can't fill all the holes! You fill in the OT or DE one you still have the QB one! Geez!

Vince can be a franchise QB for years to come. A real show stopper in NY to compete with Eli. A lot will depend on how he is molded, but if you don't have faith in the new organization then you might as well not watch at all.

Out of all the "New Generation" QBs in the league, Vince has the talent to be the best of them. The fact that you lack in RB is more the reason to take him since he can take some rushing preasure off the back getting 100 yards himself.

8. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

If Vince Young runs for 100 yards in a NFL game. I will run around Ft. Lauderdale naked with a carrot and tell everyone that I am a melted snowman. Young is not going to get away from pro linebackers or safeties or half of the DE's for that matter. He is not that fast, saying he is fast for his size or a QB, means he is not that fast.

#88 New York Mick, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 15, 2006
  9. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I think the JETS got rooked bad enough with the 29th pick, but to trade him for a guy that's played well in one game?

are you high? ricky williams

#89 stinkyB, Apr 14, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2005
  10. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Reporter: ?Vince ? how do you feel about being drafted by the New York Jets??

Vince: ?Man ? this is dynamite. I?ve wanted to live in Louisiana my whole life.?

11. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

If you watch him on the football field he is fast and ellusive. The guys at the combine putting up great 40 times have actually trained for the run in the combine, Young didn't, he's time is pretty much meaningless. The best scambling QB in the NFL wasn't as fast as the two you mentioned either. Tarkenton was elusive not fast and he was a very successful QB as was Steve Young, Staubach (who I think may have been the greatest QB in NFL History) and Roethlisberger who is clearly a QB who makes big plays with his legs and arm.

Freeman McNeal who has the best YPC of any Jet running back was also one of the slowest RB we ever had. He was elusive as could be and rarely got hit straight on. Young will be able to move in the NFL and he also has a very quick release. My question on Young, which I'm sure is being looked at, is his arm and accuracy, his ability to make all the NFL throws. I'm sure the team will know the answer to that before the draft.

#91 winstonbiggs, Apr 15, 2006
  12. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

Ok first off WILL EVERYBODY STOP SAYING HOW GREAT BEN ROETHLISBERGER IS AT RUNNING. He had 64 yards rushing the whole season and on top of that he had only about 2200 yards passing he was not that good, the Steelers won the SB not riding Ben's back. Ben didnt even put up the numbers that Jim McMahon (1985 almost 2400 yards passing and 252 rushing) did and alot of guys think that he sucked.
    Tarkenton and Staubach, I really cant say I have know idea how fast they were and have only seen 30 seconds of highlights.
    Steve Young run aout a 4.55 40 - Vince Young about a 4.58 same difference. Steve - very smart, Vince - DUHHHHH!!!!!!!! Steve also had around a 71% comp rate passing last year in college - Vince is under 60%. Steve also had 1700 more yards passing in 3 seasons. Steve was a much better QB when he learned too throw first then run second I am not sure if Vince is going to do that, I could be wrong it has happened before.

#92 New York Mick, Apr 15, 2006
  13. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Young was over 65% last year.

14. New York Mick

New York Mick Banned

Opps sorry it was suppose to be under 70%.

15. LoyalJetsFan

LoyalJetsFan New Member

Why compare Young to Vick or Culpepper? Neither one of them have gone to the Superbowl, and I doubt they ever will. So on that note, why don't we find a QB like the ones that have won or at least got to a superbowl in the past?

#95 LoyalJetsFan, Apr 15, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2005
  16. borna'horn

borna'horn New Member

To answer the critics who say Young will be a bust. If he is at least as good as Vick and Culpepper, then you cannot say he won't even make it as a QB in the NFL.

The fact is Young is on a whole different level from "running" QBs of the past several years. He had one of the best, some would argue THE best, careers of any quarterback in college football history. He won the national championship against one of the great teams of all time and a defense that had alway come up big in big games, shutting down UCLA in its prior outing. (Funny how defenses always become "terrible" after they play Young. I guess the entire NFL is about to experience a sudden downgrade in defensive play once Young hits the field!)

The bottom line is that when you compare Young's college career with that of Vick and Culpepper, the conclusion is there is more chance of Young being a great NFL quarterback than of being a bust. At worst he would be an average NFL QB, but the chance is there for greatness. That makes him no less risky than any other QB in the draft.

The problem with Young is that he is so uniquely good that some people just can't believe it is for real. When you hear about someone being the Michael Jordan of the NFL, it sounds so hard to believe that you think its a sham. If you have never seen Young play, then I can understand that.

#96 borna'horn, Apr 15, 2006
  17. Serphnx

Serphnx New Member

Who cares if he's stupid off the field? I'm only interested in his football intelligence, of which he's shown in spades. It's not like he can't handle media attention, he spoke to the media for about an hour after the Rose Bowl under intense scrutiny. Pennington can't handle the media and nobody questions his intelligence. And Pennington likes forcing balls into triple coverage to Wayne Chrebet, yet again, he isn't called out on it. Every QB will make that throw occasionally atleast, so you have to look at the bulk of their work. VY will be fine in the NFL, and most likely he'll go win SBs for some other team besides us. Then the rest of the league will go back to mocking us again, while the VY haters will slink off somewhere and pretend they wanted him too. It's not like this has not happened before. I mean I don't like Leinart much, but I don't viciously hate on the guy repeatedly because I don't want to look stupid if he does become a good player.

18. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

Reporter: ?Vince; having being drafted by the New York Jets; how do you address your intelligence with the New York Fans??

Vince: ?Well I don?t know the fans address ? my limo driver takes me where I need to go. Besides ? the Jets just got a hell of a 25 cents back?

Reporter: ?Vince ? don?t you mean quarterback??

Vince ?Sheeeet ? my momma didn?t raise no fool; I know 37 cents is a quarter?

19. Jets41815162342

Jets41815162342 New Member

Firstly I will state that I do not want Vince Young for teh NY Jets.

It's not that I don't think he can be successful in the NFL, in fact he will probably have some level of success over the length of his career, barring injury or being on a horrid team.

My issue with Young is that he is more of a project than the Jets have time for. If the Jets take a QB with that 4th pick they need him under center opening day of 2007. Vince is gonna need more time and things will get ugly. Of couse it would be exciting watching the guy pull a Vick or Cunningham move and run for 30 yards juking the socks of the safety, but as we've seen so many times that usually ends in injuries, lengthy time off the field and quick exits from playoff contention.

He just doesn't fit in NY but if given time to develop he may excell somewhere else. If you've been a Jet fan for a while you know it takes a certain type of player, skill wise and personality wise to flourish in the NY Market. Young would be a square peg in a round hole.

20. Warrior

Warrior Member

My concern is I read that Texas had a very simple offense designed around a SINGLE progression. All Young had to do was look for his primary target - if not open he runs or looks randomly for an open receiver. No reading of defenses was required and no multiple progressions. Whether he can do that is another story - the Jets will not take that chance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.