Pass-Rushing Productivity: Who’s making the most of their opportunities? Shaun Ellis-

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MadBacker Prime, Nov 23, 2010.

1. MadBacker Prime

MadBacker Prime THE Dead Rabbit

"Our special formula, prized just slightly less highly than KFC’s secret recipe, gives the truest sense of how productive each pass rusher is on a per-play basis.

While most of the football world reports dutifully on sack counts, we tell you who’s getting all of the pressure, and on what percentage of pass-rush snaps.

Pass-Rushing Productivity. We have missed you. There are more than a few surprises here, not the least of which is the overall leader, a guy that doesn’t exactly conjure images of Bruce Smith or Lawrence Taylor.

For those unfamiliar with the formula, here it is. First, we total something called “QB Disruption Points,” which values sacks over hits and pressures: QB Disruption Points = Sacks + Hits (0.75) + Pressures (0.75)

We arrived at that balance after a general audit of our grades and tracking over the past three seasons, and found that hits and pressures represent about 75 percent of the value of sacks.

Then, to arrive at a score that measures productivity per rush, it’s simple: Pass-Rushing Productivity = QB Disruptions Points / Number of Pass Rushes x 100.

So, the final number represents the percentage of damage each rusher inflicts on his forays toward the backfield.

But enough of the waffle. You want some numbers, right? Well let’s get straight into it. Here’s our overall top 10.

(Note: only players who rushed passer 100 or more times qualified)"

Shaun Ellis ranks 4th on the list for Interior Defensive Linemen.

HTML:
    Top 10 Interior Defensive Linemen

Team	                     Name	            Rushes	PRP
    New England Patriots	Mike Wright	    183	11.5
    Cleveland Browns	    Shaun Rogers	    164	10.1
    Seattle Seahawks	   Brandon Mebane   140	8.75
    New York Jets	          Shaun Ellis	    250	8.5
    Kansas City Chiefs	Wallace Gilberry	212	8.14
    Washington Redskins	Albert Haynesworth	114	8.11
    Cincinnati Bengals	Geno Atkins	            167	7.93
    San Francisco 49ers	Justin Smith	304	7.81
    Green Bay Packers	Cullen Jenkins	234	7.8
    Oakland Raiders	   Richard Seymour	248	7.76
    The Rest Here-

http://www.profootballfocus.com/blo...-whos-making-the-most-of-their-opportunities/

I'm a big Ellis fan, and it's nice to see some stats prove his worth, just like Rex stated he doesn't have his lineman rush the passer as much as people think.

This list does put Taylor in the bottom 10 of all LB's, but he's 20th basing it just off OLB.

2. kinghenry89

kinghenry89 New Member

That's somewhat surprising to me, because just from watching Ellis I've noticed that he seems a little slower and that he's having a tougher time getting off blocks than in the past. But hell, stats are more reliable than my eyes.

Even more surprising is that Fat Albert Haynesworth is #6 on the list.

3. MadBacker Prime

The formula is odd, but it measures sacks, hits, and pressures. I think it's important to include all those when evaluating this stat. A pressure or hit could have just as much impact as a sack if not more so.

4. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

It seems to be that the Jets are content of bringing the pocket backwards to the QB, bringing clutter in the eyes of the opposing QB.

Only thing is we don't have a true dominant guy who can get by on speed to beat a tackle. Taylor and Pace seem to be our only guys who can do this (and they are average at best)...otherwise it's our guys trying to use strength, technique and power moves. The best guys we have to get to the QB seem to be our CB's and Safeties.

5. dthomas53

dthomas53 New Member

Funny, I was just going to post the opposite. Just from observation, I've felt all year (mostly early on, though) Ellis has been the guy in the backfield more often than anyone else.

And forget sacks. In this defense, getting to the QB and forcing him to get rid of it is all you have to do. Just don't leave the DBs chasing their man for 5+ seconds every down and we're set.

6. The Notorious J.E.T.S

The Notorious J.E.T.S Well-Known Member

There is something wrong with this stat

[​IMG]

7. MadBacker Prime

He only has 114 rushed, by far the least, so if you added a 100 to that I'm sure a far truer rank would appear.

8. RevisNWash

RevisNWash New Member

that site also shows how pace and harris are among the 10 worst pass rushing linebackers......im not surprised

9. MadBacker Prime

They're middle lb's, not really their job. They stop the run, and help in coverage.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

Pace is not an inside linebacker

11. MadBacker Prime

I assumed he typed Scott, my add again.

Obviously he's not, my bad.

12. theyankees-jetsfan23

pace is an outside linebacker. and harris is an inside linebacker, not their job to pass rush the qb.

13. MikeHoncho

MikeHoncho Trolls

Harris was great rushing the qb last year.. had 5.5 sacks and 2 in the playoffs I think.