Pals Want Massive L.i. Lineman To Be Jet

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by hydro51, Apr 9, 2006.

1. VinnyAndTheJets88

VinnyAndTheJets88 New Member

I think our pick basically hinges on what the saints do... right now it looks like they're positioning themselves to take brick and in that case we should probably go with mario (unless tangini determines he wont fit in our d, then the likely pick would be hawk), but in the event that the saints take mario or anyone else besides brick then he should def be our pick... many people feel he is the best and most nfl ready player in the entire draft and he fills our biggest need which is clearly o-line

2. Warrior

Warrior Member

The Jets will not pick Ferg or Williams at #4.

The Jets now have a longterm philosophy and their approach to this draft will apply this philosophy.

The main focus is to have a team of good talent that will create interchangeable parts, ie. flexibilty thus they will need to construct a salary structure that maintains longevity and consistency.

The Jets will not "overpay" for a specific player - this is the main reason Abraham is gone. They would love to have an Abraham talent on the team, but not at his price.

In general, the offensive line is seen as a relatively low cost investment and, thus, the Jets will get blue collar talented guys on the line that will not break the bank. With regard to DE, the pass rush will not depend on or revolve around one star, rather they will develop a scheme that will involve multiple players.

IF that is their philosophy, they will not want to pay #4 $$$$ on a OT or a DE. A "can't miss" QB maybe, but I have a feeling they wouldn't invest that chance in Leinart. Look for the Jets to do whatever they can to trade out of the #4 spot. Whether they can depends on who is available at #4 - M Williams and Leinart will create the most action. Ideally, they would like to sit at #7 to #10. It fits the financial stucture and they will be in a position to choose who they want.

The key to "who you want" is not to be enamored with one player thus you always get the player you want.

If the Jets drop down to #7 to #10 look for them to draft DTs Bunkley or Ngata - Mangini's defense revolves around an anchor in the middle of the line. Apparently these guys can do this and more. The #29 ,35 and maybe another 2nd rounder with the trade down will focus on OL (?Mangold,Winston), LB (?Carpenter,Ryans), CB (Marshall from Fresno St.) or possible DE/LB Lawson from NC St. Look for the Jets to draft their QB with the 3rd round supplementary pick, #97.

Finally - the real interesting situation will be what if the Jets can't trade out of the #4 spot. Who do they pick? It will be Ngata or Bunkley.

3. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

You bought your magic crystal ball on Ebay or can you find that at Walmart?

4. Warrior

Warrior Member

It was purely meant for discussion purposes. The ad nauseum threads if we don't take Fergie or Williams the Beast I'll kill myself were getting a bit redundant and boring. Just providing a different perspective there Pitbull. If you can't handle a different perspective there is no need for a putdown.

5. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

His playing weight will be down to about 6'5", 295, which is still small. People don't realize, that when players stop working out as much and stop competing in game situations, they are going to gain weight because of lack of constant playing (and this is very true for college players). He most likely gained weight to look better at the combine.

Why do we need a good pass protector over a run blocker? As far as I'm concerned, if we need pass protection, we have our body guard with Jones. We need bigger lineman, to run block, especially considering our VERY iffy quarterback situation, and multiple solid runningbacks on the roster. That formula leads to a heavy run offense, for atleast two years until we get back on track.

I'm not saying he is going to suck! Lord. He's just not right for our situation, given we have a player in the same mold, with the same potential as the guy. I'd also bet that most of you have never seen how much of a liability he can be in run blocking, because all half the people on message boards go by is weigh ins and fourty times.

6. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Honestly though, what are the odds that Adrian Jones is just as good as D'Brickashaw? I hear so much talk about Adrian Jones being in the same league or potentially being in the same league as Ferguson and i find that crazy. Fergie proved it for 4 years. People act like Jones is money in the bank. If he had so much potential, why wasnt Adrian Jones changed into a Tackle earlier on in his collegic career? Also same skill set doesnt translate into same player(which i dont believe that Jones and Fergie are equals, Fergies got everything but massive size and Jones doesnt have me willing to pass on him). It blows my mind that people are willing to bank on Adrian Jones' slim chances of blossoming into a good tackle.

7. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

That's because the chances are much more than "slim".

8. BIG TYMER

BIG TYMER Banned

Couldn't agree more, Jones is solid but he will never come close to becomming a franchise LT. D'Brick is the kind of guy you can plug in at LT and have that position taken care of for the next 10-12 years. He's a dominant passblocker and has been improving as a runblocker. The only knock on the guy was that he was undersized, since weighing in at the senior bowl at 6'6 312 I can't see one flaw in his game.

Bottom Line: If Reggie Bush wasn't in this draft Ferguson would probably go #1 to Houston.

9. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

That's because the Texans are desperate for a LT. Ferguson isn't the second best talent in this draft, though.

10. BIG TYMER

BIG TYMER Banned

This is how I rank the Top 5 prospects:

1. Reggie Bush
    2. D'Brickashaw Ferguson
    3. Matt Leinart
    4. Mario Williams
    5. Vernon Davis

11. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

He sure is close...

1- Reggie Bush
    2- Matt Leinart
    3- Mario Williams
    4- D'Brick

12. 28rogerblaze51

28rogerblaze51 New Member

If mario is gone brick, if brick is gone mario...simple enough.

13. PennyandtheJets

PennyandtheJets Well-Known Member

I agree...I don't think anyone should have a problem with either one as well...they both fill big holes.

Why does it say, edited by twinjetfan?

#33 PennyandtheJets, Apr 10, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2005
  14. hydro51

hydro51 New Member

something is wrong with the board. i been gettig that alot. when i post. random name edits

15. IrishSteveZ

IrishSteveZ New Member

Man I want this guy. We need him so badly.....make the right choice Tangini.

16. EcKo151

EcKo151 Active Member

Damn man...312 pounds and I assume he still has his good footwork and all, is very hard to passup...

I wouldn't be going crazy happy like I would Mario Williams, but i'd be content with The Brick.

17. MDBigDog

MDBigDog Active Member

Jones' has already proved to be at least a decent LT at the PRO level last year. Had Kendall been next to him he would've even looked much better but with all the injuries to the line there were way too many issues going on. Jones made the move to LT because of his athleticism and his potential is based to how quickly he picked things up for someone who had limited experience.

Jones and D'Brick have similar size and positives, though D'Brick has played the position more at the college level. If both were coming out at the same time I'd take D'Brick any time but that doesn't mean he's going to be that much better then Jones. Plus the last time there was this much hype about a can't miss "prototypical" LT it was Robert Gallery I believe and he's not the franchise LT he was drafted to be.

18. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

That's fine. I'm sure nearly every single coach and GM in the league feels differently, though.

19. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Gallery hasn't been allowed to play LT yet because they already had a solid LT, and Gallery was a better fit on the right side. Plus, Gallery is a MUCH better prospect coming out than Ferguson is. That's not even debatable.

20. PRPitbull

PRPitbull Active Member

Oh yeah?! I couldve sworn he was moved around because of the massive injuries the O-Line sustained last year. I guess we werent watching the same games.