Overoptimistic trade scenarios for ABE !

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by MoBa18, Feb 22, 2006.

1. MoBa18

MoBa18 Member

To me it seems a lot of people are too optimistic about getting a 1st rounder and more for Abe. We are way over the cap and teams interested in abe know that(Abe won't be a Jet next year for sure). That is why I can't understand why people reject deals for rivers at least in theory(I don't like this trade either but in terms of value I can't see the chargers giving upmore than rivers and maybe a 2nd rounder). A possible deal for Schaub also looks good to me. Maybe Atlanta's 2nd rounder(or 3rd) and Schaub. We would get a cheap QB who could earn himself a contract.

I think if the JETS demands are too high teams will let time work in their favour and we will end up getting nothing cose to a 1st rounder for ABE.

Thoughts?

2. kevin68

kevin68 New Member

Well, I think they can't afford to give away Abe for almost nothing. The Jets are trying to reconstruct the whole team. So they should get valuable draft picks or players to make sure the team will be able to compete in a few years. If they just give him away, it won't help the team at all. That's why they should keep him, if they don't get what they want.

3. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

If they wanted to let him go for nothing, they would not be going to the trouble of franchising him.

I hope we get another 1st round pick for him; that would be great. If that happens, I think you can expect us to draft a QB in the 1st.

4. ny2dave

ny2dave New Member

I'd like to get some draft picks for Abe. I really don't want to waste his value picking up a stop gap QB who is going to be out as soon as Cutler is ready yo play.

5. The Uniform Bomber

The Uniform Bomber Spivey's Agent

I'm not sure many teams will want to wait it out and let time tell because they need to know what they'll address/target in the draft. The sooner positions are filled before the draft, the better idea teams have of their needs.

cheers

6. Sean_in_titletown

If Mangini is bringing the Patriot philosophy to New York than there's a strong chance he'll be patient and trade out of 4 to accquire additional picks. Belichick and Pioli have made a practice of sliding down in the draft in order to get more picks. For instance, in '03 they traded a first round pick to Baltimore (so they could take Kyle Boller) and Baltimore gave the Patriots an '04 first round pick as well as an '03 second rounder. It wasn't popular on draft day because we gave up a first roud pick but it led to Vince Wilfork in the '04 draft. If Managini and his staff don't see a dramatic difference between players at 4 and 10 on their board than maybe they'll move out of the spot. There are going to be a lot of of holes to fill so more picks would seem to be an option to consider.

7. The Uniform Bomber

the Ramsey/Arrington-for-Abe rumor really has me twitching in my seat. It doesn't seem very realistic, but the Skins are definitely willing to trade player-for-player, as demonstrated in the Moss/Coles trade.

If Mangini is set on switching to the 3-4, this makes all the sense in the world. What's more, the 'Skins are hunting for a good pass rusher, which they'd get in Abe. Also (and this may not be as big of an issue), if we're trading Abe, we probably wanna send him to a team in the NFC so we don't have to worry about him wreaking havoc in our backfield.

cheers

8. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

please let the abe for ramsey/arrington be true

9. The Uniform Bomber

trading down definitely makes sense and probably is the best thing to do considering all of our holes. But don't forget, we have an extra 4th for Herm, along with the comp. picks coming. that translates to approximately 11 picks this year. Trading down gives us more, but i wouldn't say we absolutely must do it; although i like the idea.

still, trading Abe doesn't affect whether or not we'll trade down on draft day. and if we can get a player or 2 for him (the current hot rumor being Ramsey/Arrington), I think that's all right rather than taking picks. It just depends on the picks and players, ya know?

cheers

10. WIJetsFan

WIJetsFan New Member

The Jets have to get something of significance for Abraham. It's already disturbing that they only got a 4th-rounder for a CURRENT head coach. The Jets should look for any combination of a 1st-rounder, a current every down starter, and/or possible starter + 2nd-rounder/early 3rd depending on who it is. Nothing less than that.

11. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

I disagree. If we can't get a decent pick for him, the FO won't turn around and give him away for nothing. I believe they will try to trade him but if they dont get any good offers they will just sign him longterm and be done with it.

No reason to acquiesce to some other teams demands. In my opinion the ball is in our court.

12. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I would love to have arrington...and Ramsey as a BACKUP...pull the trigger!!!

13. Barry the Baptist

Barry the Baptist Hello son, would you like a lolly?

Trading Abe to Atlanta for Schuab and a pick is as good as a deal as I have heard. Schuab would not be a stopgap QB. He has all the tools to be a franchise QB. In fact from what I have heard from people I know in Atlanta he'd be the starter in Atlanta if Vick wasn't making 100 million. Throw in merchandise sales and it is virtually impossible to bench Vick. Atlanta is going to have to move Schuab who IMO is the better QB on the team. I'd take Schuab over Young or Cutler anyday of the week.

14. DeathByJets

DeathByJets Well-Known Member

Calm down on the Arrington buzz.....I just posted this in another thread:

In my opinion, Ramsey is the better of the two players.

15. The Lord

The Lord Active Member

basically i think it is not overoptimistic to expect a 25-40 overall pick for Abe.

16. fenwyr

fenwyr Active Member

Arrington + Ramsey for Abe would be fantastic.
    Schaub + 2nd rounder for Abe would also be fantastic.
    Anyones 1st rounder for Abe would be ideal.

17. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

ABE for SCHAUB! case closed!

18. IneedJesus

IneedJesus New Member

Abe for Schaub?? You want to trade Abraham who is a proven pass rusher and can take over games for a qb who has played two games straight up.

The Falcons would rip us off hard core. Maybe, maybe Abe for their first or second and Schaub. That would be the only deal I would do.

19. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Abraham's trade value is being wildly over estimated by Jet fans. He wants an 18 mil signing bonus and wants to be the highest paid DE in the NFL.... and he isn't even in the top five. That price tag severely limits the number of teams that could even afford him.... then, they would have to want him. Given his injury history, how many teams would offer anything substantial? Talk of a first rounder is beyond unrealistic.... it's silly.

20. The Uniform Bomber

all of which you said is true.

but the only reason i believe the Abe-for-Ramsey/Arrington deal, is because it was supposedly reported by Kornheiser who usually isn't full of sh*t and he's located in D.C. To me, that gives the rumor some credibility.

cheers