Our QB issue. What to do?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ghostridergo, Mar 14, 2008.

1. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I have to respectfully disagree with this tactic because it could potentially derail the momentum Tannenbaum has set in motion. I'd play KC (unless he stinks up the field), but we need to look past that.

You need lead time to develop a QB, you just don't run out in '09 and draft one when you've run out of options. By '09, it's possible the Jets could be contenders and get themselves deep into the playoffs and by that time, you'd want to have a good QB under center.

SOOOOO.... we need to draft Joe Flacco in April and start grooming him to maintain continuity in that position. Make good use of Chad as his (and Clemens') mentor. If Clemens turns into the next Tom Brady, we can always trade Flacco to someone else for decent value, so it's not like we lose much by drafting him. If Clemens stinks to high heaven, we have Flacco take the field in '09 and see what he's got. Keep Chad and Tui as backups.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Here is why I don't think Clemens is in their future plans. After the '06 season Mangini named Pennington the starter. After the '07 season if they had seen anything at all they liked I would think they would have named Clemens the starter. "They" say the worst possible thing you can do with a young quarterback is bounce him and out of the starting job. He damages their psyche (not sure I believe it but that's what they say anyway). They obviously don'r care as it's going to be an open competition again this year.

3. JetsLookingforDWare

Exactly.

I wouldn't mind taking a flier on one of the day 2 QBs in this draft though...I like some of them (Ainge, Josh Johnson, Booty, Keller).

I think the QB problem here is overrated. 1. Because people overvalue the crap out of the QB position and always want that prototypical dream QB and 2. No QB had a chance behind our OL last year. I think both of our QBs can be solid QBs behind a good O-line.

Look at Derek Anderson behind Cleveland's O-line. He's not a very good QB IMO. He overthrows his WRs, gets rattled pretty easily, doesn't place the ball very well, or really have a ton of good tendencies anyway. But he's got two elite weapons, a good running game, and arguably the best young O-line in the game. Build the offense as a whole and you're very likely to find a QB.

4. bamajetsfan

bamajetsfan New Member

Colt Brennan may still be there when we pick in the sixth

5. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

I'm not in disagreement with some of these statements. In fact, it looks like we're in agreement about picking up some future insurance (you're saying Day Two, I'm suggesting Flacco in Day One).

If it so happens that it becomes irresistable to trade down from our #6, we could wind up with a 1st and an extra 2nd. In that case, I'd use the extra 2nd to pick Flacco over the Day Two guys you've mentioned.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It all depends on exactly how the CS feels about Clemens and also how they feel about the QB prospects that will be available to us. We can probably all agree that they wont take a QB first round. That eliminates Ryan from the discussion, I also would be surprised if Flacco makes it to our 2nd pick or even Brohm.

Do any of the other QB prospects excite any of you enough to take on the first day over another position? At this point they dont for me so I would look to take a flier on someone from the 4th round on. The two picks in the 4th might be a good time.

7. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I'd like to see us pickup Ainge in the 4th. I think he's going to be a very good pro QB.

8. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

Sorry I disagree here. Man & Tan made the great QB tour. You remember Young. Leinhart & Cutler & decided that KC was the best of the best so we got Brick instead. Now just 2 seasons later & mabe 10 or 12 regular season games played he has become a bust & has to be replaced. If that is really the case then Woody should immediately fire Man & Tan for there extremely poor evulation talents

9. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Your point is valid if it's really going to be an open competition. Unlike some folks around here, I make no claims on being able to read Mangini's mind, but it is also true that if they intended on getting rid of Pennington, the best strategy would be to talk him up as a potential starter; if they made clear that he could be nothing more than a backup, given his high salary the chances of him being cut would be pretty high, thereby drying up the trade market.

10. bamajetsfan

bamajetsfan New Member

Ainge blows. He was surrounded by talent that made him look better.

11. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

This is what I see as beeing fair between Kellen and Chad. I think Tui is a FA so he may or may not be back. Nontheless, if Tui goes I think you write Brad Smith in as the 3rd string QB. Some may not like this, but if we get to our third string QB for any reason, the season is over.

12. WhiteShoeWillis

I only saw him play a few times and he impressed me. From what I saw, he has good accuracy, good pocket presence, can throw very well with accuracy on the run, adequate arm strength, and is a field general. He always seemed to do well when pressured. He's listed at 6'6" 225 lbs which are ideal #'rs for an NFL QB.

Why do you think he blows?

13. fltflo

fltflo Active Member

Folks,
    There should be little question as to who the starter is going to be. Yet, many Jets fans are torn between Kellen and Chad, others still, want to being in someone new. As of right now the QB situation for the NYJ is set and the need to even think about bring in a new number 1 or 2 is insane. First off to try and learn Schott system and run it without having to think about it,would take all of next season. So bring in a new veteran to try to take over is not going to happen, not to mention the message it sends to the current QB's on the roster right now.

Tanny has stated that there will be open competition thru the OS and TC and the guy who gives the Jets the best chance to win becomes the starter. Yet, in the second breath, Tanny also states that the Jets want to throw the ball down field. Now, Chad can do that two or three times a game if he can set his feet and get his whole body and motion in to the throw. On the other hand Kellen can do the same thing all game and do it off his back foot or while on the move or rolling out etc. I know many Jets fans were unimpressed with this kid last year but you have to be aware of the limitations he was learning under. An even then, he won more games then Chad and would have had a few more wins if receivers had held on to a few of his throws. He did this without any real running threat and most of the time running for his life behind the revolving door we called an offensive line. Then take in to account that Kellen was this staff pick and a high pick at that and the QB picture should start to become clear for everyone.

There is no doubt that they have great respect for Chad and the skills he brings to the table. Yet, last year they saw clearly that Chad will be limited in the type of game he can play. He also was in fear of his life behind the O-line and got pretty beat up, remember the bum ankle. So what he does was reduced even further when he was not protected. Most defenses know they don't have to worry too much about the long ball with Chad. Yes, he will throw it deep,to keep them off balance but they know it will be the exception to his game. They also know that Chad can no longer scramble like he use to and does not throw the ball well on the run. So even if Chad will gets enough time throw it, the corners will play up and wait for that floater to the outside and try to come in and snatch it, then it's right down the sidelines...

For these reasons it is my belief that Kellen will get the starting nod over Chad and be allowed become the new field leader of the NYJ. I have to say though, I think the Jets would love to keep Chad for this year anyway. While he will be one of, if not the highest paid back-ups in the league, for this year anyway, it will be worth the cost.

That being said though, crap happens, and I think by pre-season when the Jets get a better feel for Kellen behind the revamped line, this situation may change. If, let's say another clubs QB goes down in preseason and they come knocking on the Jets door, I'm sure the Jets will be more then willing to entertain offers for Chad services, if Chad himself is interested. Which I'm sure he would be as Chad wants to be a starter and barring injury to Kellen may not happen with the Jets. I really feel the Kellen will step up this year and take the starting job and not let go. Yet, the NFL being what it is today it certainly would not hurt the Jets to carry an experienced back-up QB like Chad if that is what the scenario is going to be.
    So my money is on Kellen being given a whole season behind the proper protection to show the Jets they were right when they chose him in the draft. With Chad filling in as both mentor, quasi QB coach and back-up QB....

#33 fltflo, Mar 14, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2008
  14. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

I think you are right. We had a chance to get another QB in round 1, but we went with Clemens.

All our QB's or any QB for that matter could never function with our offensive line last year. We couldn't protect the QB and our running game stank.

I guess what you are kinda saying is that Clemens better win the starting job this camp and Pre-season or that is when we have to start questioning the FO's drafting expertise.

15. WhiteShoeWillis

Use paragraphs and maybe people will read this. No need to type in giant green letters to stand out.

16. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Pennington will be cut or traded. Hes no good and the Jets know this. KC is the future and the future is now.

17. GreenHornet

GreenHornet New Member

Your point is a good one. I didn't copy the whole quote to save space, but what you said does make a lot of sense.

18. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Very succinctly written and straight to the point. This post does not waffle.

19. championjets69

championjets69 2008/2009 TGG Darksider Award Winner

This post makes lots of sense & I for one did not mind the green type

20. ScotsJet

ScotsJet Active Member

It's not the green type so much as the wall of text that's giving me a headache, gonnae try a gap between paragraphs? :wink: