Our O line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dude, Mar 5, 2006.

1. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Yeah, it has nothing to do with the fact that Abraham (who you are clearly talking about) counts for about $8M more on the cap than Jones. Young, solid, cheap players. That's what you build a franchise around.

2. BIG COUNTRY

BIG COUNTRY Well-Known Member

Why all the hate for AJ? Yeah he wasnt Walter Jones last year but it was his first year starting, he did a solid job. He was our best lineman and most of the sacks came from Fabini's side. Most young players struggle their first year starting, epecially players who are raw like Jones. He can be a good player if given a chance. Jones is young and he will help anchor the line down the road.

3. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

LT is more responsible for the safety of the QB than any other OL position. If there is an opportunity to upgrade the position with a stud LT, which IMO Brick will be, you do it. To leave Brick on the table, is a mistake, just because people are in love with an average at best player.

And I do not believe Jones was the lone "bright" spot of the line. When he played at RT, he not good at all. A LT is was average at best. How you gauge he "got better" every game is beyond me. Moore was the only solid player throughout the season. Jones is a solid back-up tackle. I have see nothing to prove me otherwise.

4. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

You are right, so long as they ARE solid. Right now, Jones is young and cheap, but far from solid. I just wasn't impressed with his play and LT is too important a position to wait for a project like Jones. I hope I am wrong, but I would not be disappointed if a LT was chosen early by the Jets.

5. Kentucky Jet

Kentucky Jet Active Member

You make accusations and do not know what you are saying! AJ allowed many pressures and quite a few sacks. Take off your DARK GREEN glasses and maybe you will see the light! MAYBE is the operative word!

6. Isn't the whole idea of the draft/building a franchise based on finding players w/ potential??

Hell 75% of Brick's hype is based around potential. In fact, the same things that have experts/scouts excited about Ferg are the same things that those of us who like AJ are excited about. Much like Ferg, if Jones gets heavier and stronger, he has a chance to be a very good LT. Say what you will about his play last year, but the reality is, he was our best lineman. When he started giving up all the sacks it was towards the end of the year when protection schemes were geared at him being left on an island. That's a tough go for any young lineman. He had his struggles but never completely fell apart.

When you have a player w/ his type of athleticism,frame and now playing experience, at a young age and and a low salary, especially at a key position like LT, you hold onto him.

My line for next year?

LT-Jones
    LG- Kendall
    C- Rookie
    RG-Moore
    RT-Rookie

7. jtrain

jtrain Active Member

now wait if we dont draft brick what do you think we should do with the pick because as far as I am concern I do not want cutler and deangelo. Which leaves me thinking what should we do. I know if the trade to detriot goes though at 9 I want vernon davis. But I just cant seem to pass on Brick but If we do I say we trade down and draft Winston Justice and pick up a second rounder. I say If we don't get brick our o line should look like this

AJ
    Kendell
    Mangold
    Gilles
    Justice