Our O line

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by The Dude, Mar 5, 2006.

1. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

I think people are giving up to easy on Jones. He is young and developing. Let's all remember that he is transitioning from TE. He made great strides last year and will continue to grow. Last year was his first complete season as a starter. He had a season to be expected considering our offense's proficiency. Let's give the kid a chance before we bail on him.

Our more pressing need is a big strong RT to anchor the ground game. A great running game is where Chad's success came from in the first place - by being able to set up the play action pass. I don't care who you put at LT if our offense is one dimensional they will be a turnstile.

2. Imagesrdecieving

ps - I don't want Schaffer as our RT. Might as well throw Jones there if that's the case. Our RT needs some Beef, not another sub-300 pounder.

3. dabrowsk1

dabrowsk1 Active Member

No, but if you have the opportunity to have a stud LT you take it. The LT provides a great deal of security for the QB and protects his blind side. This is not a minor thing. I don't want a decent LT when there is an opportunity to have a potential franchise LT sitting on the table. It will only make the O-Line that much better. And you rebuild the a team from the tranches out. Leaving Brick on the table is a mistake in my opinion.

4. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

well, if the rumors of an abraham trade to denver turn out to be true we could draft him there. If a trade to detroit happens, I can see us moving out of the 4 spot and picking up a later pick in the 1st round. So theres plenty of options for us to get him in the 1st round without trading out of our 2nd round spot

5. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

I'm really thinking anyone with comments like these didn't watch any Jets games last year. Jones was the lone bright spot on a dismal line last year. To be calling for his head before anyone else's is one of the more ridiculous things I've read on these boards.

6. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I actually have had season tickets for 25 years and watch every game. I even tape the games I attend and watch them again. I saw Jones get beaten repeatedly this past season. I saw nothing that made me think he was the LT of the future. How many sacks did Jones give up? 8? 10?? Taylor got three in one game. That is not the mark of a future NFL star. What did you see that makes you so high on him??? The Jets OL was abysmal and he was a big part of it.

7. MikeSLTJ23

MikeSLTJ23 Well-Known Member

First of all, Adrian Jones was the best lineman we had last year. To me, you just sound like someone that never gave the kid a chance. He got better with every game, which is EXACTLY what we're looking for.

As for Ferguson, I think he would be the biggest waste of a draft pick since Pennington. Using the #4 on a guy who didn't even play up to par in his final college season? That doesn't make much sense to me. He was a lot better a year ago, and I'm not sure what happened, but to call him a "stud LT" I think is absolutely ridiculous. I was left fairly unimpressed with him for the credit that he's been getting.

8. Imagesrdecieving

8 or 10 sacks isn't that bad considering that our offense sucked more custard than Tom Carvel last year. He was playing under the worst circumstances(every team we played sent the house in order to rattle BB).

Also - it's not really good form to say that he gave up 3 sacks to Jason Taylor. I mean come on - let's be real. It's Jason Taylor for christ's sake. Lets see how Brick holds up against Jason Taylor. I highly doubt that it would be any better - even if it's under better circumstances.

9. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

Goodwin will be lucky if he keeps his roster spot next year.

10. Jake

Jake Well-Known Member

I'd like us to sign an o-lineman and draft atleast two o-lineman on day 1. That's how bad I think our o-line is right now....

11. JetTalk

JetTalk New Member

How the hell could you waste a 2nd on a RT? We'd look ridiculous doing this, especially with the talent pool in this years draft.

12. Imagesrdecieving

I don't see your logic? If we can get a mammoth RT who will anchor our running game for the next 8 yrs it's a no brainer. Long gone are the days where we make our moves based on "what we will look like". Save that for the NY Knicks. Here are the days where we do what is best for the NY Jets Franchise.

13. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

D'Brickashaw at LT, Adrian Jones at RT, Mangold at C, Kendall at G, and not sure about the other G yet

14. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Adrian Jones at RT would be a DISASTER.

15. hotcoles87123

hotcoles87123 Banned

Thats a pretty funny post, and also true regarding the others we are willing to part with. However, what everyone is thinking is since we are rebuilding, we should keep around as many young players with potential as possible. Also, consider the position-- its a big money spot, and we have a decent starter playing there for less that backup money. I like him there- we have enough other needs to worry about, why put a good player out of position, or on the bench just for an upgrade.

16. dwalsh

Why would he be such a disaster at RT?

17. AMJets

AMJets Well-Known Member

Because he is the exact opposite of a RT, in every possible way. The only reason he started the season there was because of the loss of McKenzie, and Bradway's inability to address the line in the draft. If he's not going to be the LT, he should either be moved to guard, or be used as depth. Jones starting at RT gives us an automatic gaping hole each game.

18. execwrite

execwrite New Member

LT- Brick
    LG - A. Jones
    C- Mangold
    RG - Moore
    RT - Vet FA

19. dwalsh

What about Kendall, we did just sign him to an extension after all..

20. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Actually, Jones' play was up and down. And unless you are a former NFL OL coach, it's hard to judge these things. One thing I can say is that I'm entitled to my opinion and I just don't think Jones is going to be a star. At least I waitied to watch him on the NFL level before making a judgment. I could be wrong, but I'd rather build the OL where the LT is the best player on the line, not an inexpensive hold the fort guy.

As for Ferguson, I guess you know more than the hundreds of experts that are predicting greatness for this guy. Anybody with an iota of football knowledge knows that the draft is a crapshoot. But if you can tell who will be successful on the NFL level and who will not, you would be on this board with the rest of the fans - you'd be employed by some team in the NFL or you'd be Mel Kiper or a facsimile of him. And if you were one of those people, you'd still be wrong about half the time. So let's not sit here and pretend we KNOW who will be the next Walter Jones and who will be the next Tony Mandarich. You can voice your opinion, but you'll be wrong as much as you are right. Two years ago, half the people on this board wanted nothing to do with Vilma, and now is the best player on the team.

So don't tell me I didn't watch the games.

And for the life of me, I just understand why some people are in love with Adrian Jones and are ready to throw away proven players. I think it has more to do with ego than anything. People are in love with potential and finding that next star. That is why people love draft picks, but don't find signing existing players all that exciting.