Our Linebacking corps....slow motion..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Sep 17, 2012.

1. NJJ_Jersey_Jets

NJJ_Jersey_Jets Well-Known Member

Probably the worst I've seen Harris play, and he's been pretty underrated. He almost had a pick.

2. NYJet87

NYJet87 Active Member

Also, just for once when I hear "Man, (insert name here) came back this year on a mission, down X-amount of pounds, primed to get back to form..." I'd actually like to see them make a difference. I'm referencing Bart Scott here, but it's no different with anyone.

3. abyzmul

abyzmul R.J. MacReady, 21018 Funniest Member Award Winner

Bart did look pretty fast on a couple of plays yesterday (the one near-sack that ended in the Intentional Grounding penalty and the hit he laid on Cotchery) but he was almost as slow as Pace in terms of pursuit.

4. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Agree with not making flashy trades for post-prime vets. Guess all the talk about having the best D since Rex arrived is both misleading and significantly overstated.
    Speed is not something you can improve. You can watch tape all day long and the play will not change much. Either you have it or you dont, except for perhaps improving your angle or position but that wont do much.
    I hate to admit it but I was expecting much more than 8-8 out of this team.
    I am hating the stupid investment on Holmes more and more. Good money we could have invested in much more glaring needs.

5. BookEndTackles 72&79

Steelers couldn't run the ball. Scott and McIntyre had alot to do with that yesterday.

Scott knows how to fill a hole in run D. He did make one mistake where he failed to fill his gap and let a 3 yard gain become a 12 yard gain though but overall did just fine. He wasn't out there much on passing downs and wasn't involved much in coverage.

McIntyre was very good against the run yesterday. Should have had that one tackle for loss on the Bell fumble review since the guys knee was down and he made several other plays on the edge. Looked more active than Thomas. However, he was completely clueless covering the FB who gained 26 yards on a short pass in the flat on that first drive putting the Steelers in FG range at the Jet 25. He was spinning like a top on the one big play of the first drive where he lost his RB in coverage. He was completely clueless and even prevented Wilson from closing on the ball carrier effectively blocking his own guy from making the tackle.

6. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The last year plus has been all about "who can the Jets not tackle this game?"

Last year it was guys like Darren McFadden, BJG-E, Gronk, Tebow, Vick + McCoy and Cruz that sunk our season. This year we couldn't get Spiller down for our life in game one but Fitzpatrick was terrible so we won the game anyway. This last game we couldn't get Roethlisberger down and so we lost.

The Jets really need to figure out how to get the elusive guys to the ground or Rex is going to be history. Great schemes don't matter if somebody can run through your tacklers like they're not there.

7. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

Agree for the most part. This team has too many issues to get one's hopes up too much. The main object this season is to figure out what Sanchez's role is going forward.

8. Br4d

The main object this season should be a top to bottom talent assessment of the roster to see exactly where the Jets are right now. I think it is pretty likely that they're on the verge of a gut rehab with only about a dozen players on the roster worthy of being on the next contender.

QB - Sanchez won't survive a rebuild and nobody else looks like a keeper.
    RB - Powell maybe as a RBBC guy, nobody else is worth much.
    WR - Hill and Kerley, nobody else worth keeping.
    TE - Cumberland maybe, nobody else likely to be at the core of a good roster.
    OL -Mangold, D'Brick, probably everybody else is gone.
    DL - Wilkerson, Coples, Ellis, everybody else is gone.
    LB - Harris and a bunch of young guys who might be worth something but probably are not.
    DB- Revis will suck the life out of the cap, Wilson might be worth something, a couple of young guys you can't tell about and everybody else is dust in the wind.

This Jets team has less talent than any team since 1996. I'm not even sure they have as much talent as that team.

9. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

You make it sound like we should have a star at every position. You wouldn't want to keep Slauson and Howard. 2 cheap guys that have played well and would go on to start on other teams. Howard is pretty green but he played amazing week 1 and played well yesterday.

All teams have holes.

10. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

1. Harsh assessment, but the sad part is, (to me at least) this looks dead on.
    2. If Jets can send their players to other teams for draft picks, they may be able to send a few through fire sale kind of deal.
    3. I think Slauson is worth keeping - as a backup C/G role, nothing more. Vlad, if he cannot beat out Moore, he's a bust. RT spot has been vacant for some time.
    4. You need 2 ILBs that can cover TEs if you want to run effective 3-4. Jets ILBs are anything BUT that. (Refer to: Willis/Bowman combination) If it were up to me, all the LBs are gone after this.
    5. Jets OLBs are too slow to do a damn thing. They can't even rush the passer on 3rd and a mile, for crying out loud. Jets need some serious influx of talent on LB corp.
    6. Cro, Revis and Wilson account for 22M+ of the cap figure. I've maintained for some time that, it's way too much.
    7. Jets still don't have a feature back. Or capable fullback. (And they call themselves ground-and-pound team. Ha!)
    8. TE position is worth looking - no blocking TE on roster, and they are not good at receiving either. (Keller is streaky somewhat, just like his QB, Sanchez.) Some talent Jets have assembled on TE.

11. BookEndTackles 72&79

Steelers couldn't run the ball. Scott and McIntyre had alot to do with that yesterday.

Scott knows how to fill a hole in run D. He did make one mistake where he failed to fill his gap and let a 3 yard gain become a 12 yard gain though but overall did just fine. He wasn't out there much on passing downs and wasn't involved much in coverage.

McIntyre was very good against the run yesterday. Should have had that one tackle for loss on the Bell fumble review since the guys knee was down and he made several other plays on the edge. Looked more active than Thomas. However, he was completely clueless covering the FB who gained 26 yards on a short pass in the flat on that first drive putting the Steelers in FG range at the Jet 25. He was spinning like a top on the one big play of the first drive where he lost his RB in coverage. He was completely clueless and even prevented Wilson from closing on the ball carrier effectively blocking his own guy from making the tackle.

12. abyzmul

Didn't you make that same post about 30 minutes ago?

13. Br4d

It's not a question of having a star at every position. It's a question of not having drop-out holes all over the place.

The problems the Jets have right now are numerous but I'll list a few just to make clear how I see the issue and why I think a gut rehab is on the way.

1. Bart Scott is playing a lot of downs for the Jets despite the fact that he is no longer an effective player for the Jets. His last decent season was 2010 but the Jets were slow to register that fact and wound up trapped with him this season as a result.

2. Calvin Pace is playing a lot of downs for the Jets despite the fact that he's a below average player at this point. He's also over 30 and hasn't been a particularly good player since 2009 but the Jets have been locked into the contract with him and kind of going on auto-pilot the last couple of years.

3. Brandon Moore is over 30 and looks it. We're all complaining about the running backs with some justification but the lineplay in the run game just hasn't been that good. Where are the wide-open holes that happened periodically in 2008 and 2009? The RG more than any other player defines the lineplay in the run game and Moore just isn't all that good any more. He got a nice career achievement trip to the pro bowl last year but that's all it was.

4. The Jets LG position is held down by a JAG or worse. The LG is probably the second most important position in the run game since they pull frequently to overload the strongside and they have less help on the weakside for runs that direction. the Jets run game is weak at least in part because the guards aren't all that strong.

5. Santonio Holmes is the only established WR that the Jets have and it's becoming clear that he adds no value to the offense in that situation. He's like the anti-Keyshawn, quick, fast, but can't get open for his life and can't catch a ball in traffic. That makes him a really hard target at this point, which is probably why Sanchez avoids him when anything else is available.

6. Dustin Keller is a solid receiver but has trouble when people account for him. His value as a tight end is minimal with almost all of his plus play being in the receiving game. He's a free agent at the end of the year.

7. Shonn Greene is just not a plus player. If he had a great line opening holes for him, like he did in 2009, then he'd be able to run over a few defensive backs, like he did in 2009. Absent the great line he's nothing more than a soak for 15-20 carries a game and not giving up much in the process. And he's brittle which means you can't even do that reliably. And he's a free agent at the end of the year.

8. Yeremiah Bell is 34.

9. LaRon Landry is an injury waiting to happen and we already know what the injury is.

10. Bryan Thomas is already being replaced.

These aren't bit players we're talking about here. These are almost half the guys who take the field and they're all seriously lacking in some way or another that makes them unlikely to be Jets *next season*.

We haven't even begun to talk about the QB situation yet.

#33 Br4d, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  14. Jetaho

Jetaho Well-Known Member

I thought our LBs looked really fast, and even needed to slow down a bit when they came rampaging through the OLine untouched. They just couldn't tackle. Kudos to Roethlisberger for avoiding the rush.

15. jonnyd

jonnyd 2007 TGG.com Funniest Poster Award Winner

he's number 97 in case you'd like to watch him play someday. He has been nothing short of a DISASTER since coming here. ONe of the worst signings/contracts the Jets have handed out in YEARS.

16. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's beyond me why you insist on constantly defending Pace. Then again, you were Eric Smith's biggest fan last year.

LB's (especially outside ones) in a 3-4 are crucial to a defense's success. Pace just doesn't do all that much, there isn't a single aspect of his game that is above average (or even average in some cases) despite playing one of the most important positions in the type of defense we run. Do you even watch the games?

17. BillyGreen

BillyGreen Banned

I thought they drafted Demario Davis to improve coverage speed. Where was he yesterday?

18. abyzmul

I don't remember seeing his number on the field even once, although he wasn't listed as inactive, so I guess he was dressed.

19. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yea he's a mid-round rookie. He's probably just keeping his head above water from a mental standpoint right now and he doesn't have the off the charts physical abilities to mask that.

Probably won't see much from him this year barring the injury bug.

20. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I'm pretty sure i saw him make a play on special teams.