Our hand may be forced to take OT in round 1.

Discussion in 'Draft' started by Martin&theJETS, Apr 21, 2020.

1. Rockinz

Rockinz Well-Known Member

OT is a real possibility as there are 4 good ones in this draft if not more. I think it’s also pretty deep with WR talent with 4-6 good ones if not more. I think we have a chance to get one from each group if we play our cards right.

2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thanks! I haven't even thought about 2021 yet. How do those players stack up with the top 4 this year?

3. NCJetsfan

Is Williams healthy? Will he be able to wear a helmet? Can he still play after having not played in almost two years? At this point, the only thing I'd give up for Williams is a conditional pick next year. Washington has no leverage.

ColoradoContrails and gajetsfan like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

"Only loses one pick"??? That pick is in the top 50 or top 100, and could be a starter for us at a position of need. Trading up is definitely not the way to go imo.

RochesterJet likes this.
  5. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

One thing I'm confident in already with Douglas is that his hand isn't going to be forced into anything. There's been a few different stories going around this week about how Douglas will probably thrive in the middle rounds because of where he's worked the last decade and who he's worked under. I can't see him settling for his 4th ranked OT over his top or 2nd ranked WR when we have a 2nd rounder and two 3rds coming up in a draft where you can find starters. Also remember he went after Fant specifically because of the fit in our system and paid him like a starter. Odds are he's got guys pinpointed in the middle rounds that he thinks will thrive because of the fit which will allow maximum flexibility at 11.

6. NCJetsfan

Easily? LOL That is hardly the case. It would cost plenty. I disagree that Niang, Prince Tega and Matthew Peart are all solid choices. Niang could be a good choice at RT. LT is out of the question for him. Prince Tega has athleticism, but is very raw, he would be useless this season, and it would probably be 2021 at the earliest that he could contribute on the field and play at anything resembling a high level, and that day might never come. You don't trade up for a player like that. I wouldn't take Matthew Peart with our #79 pick. I don't think he's a good prospect at all.

The only thing you said that I agree with is sign Cordy Glenn or Jason Peters, and that's not ideal, because it's just continuing to kick the LT need down the road.

7. NCJetsfan

I agree with your last paragraph, but not your first. I think if the OT sitting there at #11 is not the one Douglas wants (i.e., isn't a good fit or is questionable), there's no way he would take him. He'll either trade down and take one of Jones or Cleveland or take one of the WRs. As Br4d said, Douglas was trained by Ozzie Newsome, and Ozzie always went with value. He isn't going to reach for a player, and he's not going to take a player that won't fit our scheme or what Douglas is looking for in Jets players.

8. NCJetsfan

No, I don't think so. I don't think Douglas is going to take any player who doesn't fit our scheme or who doesn't fit the traits/characteristics that Douglas wants in Jets players, no matter how desperate the need is.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Yes only one pick. Your improving the 2nd round pick by losing a third. It could be a starter it could be a bust. The thing is, your essentially trading Leonard Williams and a 2 for a 1 and a following year 5. I don’t see a problem with that deal.

10. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

He's been healthy, regardless a physical is still required prior to the trade completing. Cleveland is also interested, I doubt we get him for a conditional pick but that would be nice.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  11. 101GangGreen101

I know someone said this, but Andrew Thomas fits this scheme. He's not molasses or like Trey Adams. I don't see any true report that really says he isn't athletic. If he drops he will be a Jet. I feel thats almost a guarantee, but chances are he doesn't slide past 10.

12. NCJetsfan

We'll just have to agree to disagree. At any rate, I'm not worried about Douglas trading up. I don't think he'll do it. He is an Ozzie Newsome disciple, and that totally goes against the philosophy/modus operandi that Douglas was trained in and is an adherent of.

We're not one player away. We have lots of holes and depth issues. In that circumstance with a competent GM, trading away picks by trading up is not wise imo. We need MORE picks, not less. If Mac were still the GM, then I'd be more likely to agree, although I'm certain he'd pick a DT if he traded up, or at least the wrong player.

#32 NCJetsfan, Apr 21, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    KY Jets Fan likes this.
  13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Based on what I've read, Sewell is a better prospect than all of the top 4 OT's in this year's draft. Little would've been a 1st rounder this year if he hadn't gotten hurt in 2019, maybe top 10. IDK about the other 2.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

No, I totally disagree. I've seen him play, and based on that and the scouting reports I've read, he does not our scheme. He doesn't have the athleticism, speed or lateral agility to play LT in our scheme. He would be a RT in our scheme. Look at the reports I posted in one of the OT threads. Several of them mention that he's only a fit for a man blocking scheme and that he doesn't have the lateral agility/quickness, and is susceptible to inside moves. That could be a disaster.

15. NCJetsfan

Thanks. If Vegas or whomever is right that we may only win one game, then that might be the way to go. Re-sign Beacham, and let Fant and he battle it out for the starting LT job. If Fant loses, he starts at RT.

16. 101GangGreen101

Put on the game against LSU against the 2nd best pass-rusher in this draft. He shut Klavon Chaisson down and Chaisson has pretty good explosiveness and bend. I like what I saw. Georgia wasn't a man blocking scheme either, he is also well-versed in the wide-zone blocking scheme. Probably has the best IQ too. Thomas's game isn't super pretty but he gets the job done. Athleticism isn't his issue, needs to cleanup some technique just like everyone else. Regardless, if you have a talented OT, you scheme around the talent you have and you adjust.

https://www.cover1.net/nfl-draft-fi...ot-andrew-thomas-vs-lsu-edge-klavon-chaisson/

Interesting enough his comp is Trent Williams. OT1 based off the all world indicator that is tape.

#36 101GangGreen101, Apr 21, 2020
  17. joelip

joelip Well-Known Member

What about drafting Thomas to be our plug-and-play right tackle? I say this because my impression is that Fant is more of a LT than RT. He looks quite athletic (as an ex-basketball star should) to keep up with speed rushers, but he seems to have trouble anchoring against bull rushers. If Fant can give us 3 or 4 good years as a LT, and Thomas plays well as a rookie RT, we may not need to worry about taking a LT in round 1. However, I would take Wanogho as a hedge in round 3 to develop and possibly start if necessary in 2021.

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  18. KY Jets Fan

KY Jets Fan Moderator

This is why I like Thomas over Becton. Worst case, you're getting a quality starting RT for the forseeable future. I like Becton and won't pull my hair out if we take him but I think he's much more of a project than the other 3 top OT's.

We're not picking in the top 5. I understand why people are getting hung up on the "CAN HE BE A LT?!?" thought process but any upgrade we can get for our line is going to make this team, and hopefully Sam, better at the end of the day.

19. NCJetsfan

That would be a consideration, but #11 is too high for a RT imo. If I went that route, I'd definitely take Wanogho, but I think it would have to be at pick #48 (2nd round) not 3rd.

20. NCJetsfan

I saw that game. Chaisson has potential, but is hardly a finished product. Even so, he really beats Thomas to the inside every time. Those passes could have been deflected, or when Fromm had to move outside, he could have taken a sack from another rusher, and if the WR routes were timing routes, the timing was totally thrown off. He took himself out on several of his outside rushes. I think NFL edge rushers would eat Thomas alive in our wide zone blocking scheme. I agree with you that he has the best football IQ, but I don't want an OT that struggles to get the job done and looks awkward doing it. Sooner or later that bites you. I disagree on the athleticism. He also has technique that he needs to clean up like the others, but that's not what bothers me about him.

#40 NCJetsfan, Apr 21, 2020