Our 2021 Draft debacle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, May 1, 2021.

1. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Regarding Sam, would you have picked up his 5th year option? For about 18 mill? For league average production? Not to mention you’d be staring down a potential contract extension soon after. If league average is the barometer, that’s good for a rookie and not Sam who’s entering either extension or franchise tags.

2. BrooklynJetsFan

BrooklynJetsFan Well-Known Member

btw I think JD does exactly in the original post next year.

Wilson is simply a perfect fit for LaFleurs offense.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Good find @bicketybam, this pretty much nails the reason for disliking the draft. Wanted a different player at 2, now says trading back was the best thing as we didn't get said player.

Which confirms again that Ouchy wanted to keep Sam. Some deception on his part by not just saying that.

#83 JackBower, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  4. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Mac had a tank strategy? No, he was just an awful general manager.

5. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

It won’t be discussed if Wilson is a stud. Well just have a stud QB and be happy about it.

azhar80 and ouchy like this.
  6. major33

major33 Well-Known Member

I don't want Justin Fields or Mac Jones. I want Zach Wilson. Period.

And at 6 I would have taken Waddle over Smith just like I said the Dolphins would.

I'm actually beginning to dislike Justin Fields. So many desperate QB needy teams passed him up when there is a ton of tape on him. Lance, who nobody has really seen play live, went to the 49ers, a well-run organization. Denver said no thanks. Miami stuck with Tua. Detroit said no thanks. Carolina said no thanks. Jacksonville laughed. But JD is the only idiot according to ouchy who passed on this magical QB.

Jets81, REVISion, KingRoach and 2 others like this.
  7. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I that really a fair evaluation of my post? DO you think my motivation was that I wanted Justin Fields, or that I wanted the picks?

8. major33

The picks are irrelevant if you have a mediocre QB. This has become a QB league.

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

First you claim to know me by an avatar. Then you claim to know me from one post 2 months ago, when it became clear we weren't trading, to go BPA. I can show you 50 posts over the last few months advocating a trade down. Show me one post where I said lets keep Sam?

10. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

That is not the question I asked. You implied I wanted Fields. I really didn't care which QB we got because outside of Lawrance IMO they all have more or less the same chance of busting.

Not just to you major, but I've been accused of making this post because I wanted Sam, Fields, Smith.

The post was about the proper way to rebuild this team. Obviously I see things different then most. Its not about a specific player.

azhar80 likes this.
  11. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Not to mention that the same geniuses that traded up to #2 to get Trubisky when Mahomes and Watson were available were the ones that saw fit to be the ones to trade up to take him off the board.

At the end of the day, I'm not sure that any of the debates on the draft really matter. Wilson will either be the guy who helps turn this sideshow around or he won't. Same can be said for Lawrence, Fields, Lance, Jones, and so on down the line. We have Wilson, so he's the guy I'm rooting for. I don't think that he'll be the guy to turn this thing around where others haven't managed it, but I hope to be proven wrong.

REVISion, PJ4Ever and ouchy like this.
  12. major33

Trade down for what QB then? The guy who every QB needy team passed on. Justin Fields. Heck, you probably wanted to trade down for picks and shitty Trask. An immobile version of Darnold. Great! We got the picks but garbage at QB. How does help build a winning team?

YOU are the one who said to draft Fields or Mac Jones in your trade-a-rama scenario. You are also Monday Morning Quarterbacking with your pick scenario since you do not know who will be around. I guess you're spending the entire draft on the phone trading picks moving up down sideways left right front back middle.

And there is no "proper way" to rebuild a team. Do you want to know the proper way? Draft a great QB & be a GM who continuously finds those diamonds in the rough.

KY Jets Fan and REVISion like this.
  13. major33

Ok so the bottom line is that you do not think Zach Wilson will be a special player. Everything else is irrelevant. That's really what this about with those who hated the draft.

azhar80, REVISion and PJ4Ever like this.
  14. KingRoach

KingRoach Well-Known Member

Mine also took place. My “if only” draft also was based on real players and real trades.

I was here for the build vs draft debate and for the record I was on team build... but once SD was traded, “build around Sam” was no longer an option.

Then as now, I think the “too much draft capital” argument was idiotic but I support out GM and assume his evaluation processes is much better than mine.

But hey, if you wanna keep beating a dead horse, I’ll keep making fun of you.

If only I’d picked 35 - 36 - 47 - 61 - 63 and Powerball 3 for last nights drawing I’ve something better to do.

#94 KingRoach, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
  15. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Nowhere in my post did I say that I hated the draft.

Douglas had a pretty solid draft. Loved that he got Moore in the second round and that he got his guy on the OL with the trade up. Generally, I thought it was fantastic that Douglas focused on offense for the first half of the draft.

REVISion, Jets79 and ouchy like this.
  16. JackBower

Nobody is claiming to know you, relax. But its very clear that you had a preference at what the Jets used the #2 pick for and it involved keeping Sam.

Of course a post 2 months ago matters. Sam was still on the team, your preferred scenario was still possible.

Not sure why you won't admit it, it waters down your other point. You wanted to draft Smith at 2, so what other QB options were there outside of keeping Sam? It's a logical conclusion you wanted to keep him. Once he was traded, and maybe you used hindsight idk, trading down was better.

17. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I have no doubt you will keep trolling me.

KingRoach and HomeoftheJets like this.
  18. Baumeister

Baumeister Well-Known Member

Holy shit! How any Jet fan can erase the izdik draft of 2014 is beyond me. That was a fucking shit show for the ages.

Jets79 likes this.
  19. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

How can I dispute that logic. Your right. I was a Sam guy all the way. Forgive me for trying to fool everyone.

20. JackBower

Its OK. All ears though to what our other qb option was if we draft Smith other than keeping Sam.

ouchy likes this.