Our 2021 Draft debacle

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ouchy, May 1, 2021.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What you said isn't even a discussion though, stating we could have traded back, should have traded back etc

It was never ever on the cards, that is the point, it was never happening.

You might as well just pick a quality player that we passed on from any draft in the last 10 years and make it a topic of conversation.

Some of your points and ideas were good, trading back for more picks was one, you know I wanted that for Lance but here is the kicker, would I have got lance if I traded back for more picks, it seems the 9ers fancied him enough to spend the 3 on him, would they have gone for Wilson if I had traded the #2 to them?

We will never know and that is another point isn't it, it didn't happen and making yourself ill about it is ultimately pointless but you know I feel that way as I have said it to you before, which is really why I jokingly said I wasn't going to comment but you tempted me in anyway.

Try not to let it spoil your enjoyment, for once we look like we are on the right road but we will see soon enough.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

ouchy likes this.
  3. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I wanted to trade back to 10+ and take Lance as late as possible and then he became super popular and ended up going #3 that is a bigger leap of faith than taking Wilson #2 on body of work.

I also wanted to sign a vet preferably Beathard who knows the system and sit Lance for a full season to learn due to his inexperience.

So in a way, I was all for Ouchy's trade back plan and yes the 9ers deal would have been a cracker for me but the difference is I won't let it eat at my soul and spoil the possible good times to come...

HOPEFULLY ;)

#63 K'OB, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    CotcheryFan, ouchy and patleahy like this.
  4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Only if Zach Wilson works out. And being close to or even league average isn't enough because Darnold could have done that for free draft capital wise. Wilson will likely have to ultimately be say top 12 to make this draft a historical success.

This is where the "risk" was. If you take that 49'ers trade as a general template drafting Zach Wilson cost the Jets a shitload of top shelf talent in terms of opportunity cost. If he turns out to be no, or little better than what we already had that will be disastrous.

ouchy likes this.
  5. Kryoptix

Kryoptix Well-Known Member

Like I said, JD knew all about it. I am pretty sure his first intention was to keep Darnold and possibly trade down to collect more draft capital but he truly believe that Zach Wilson will become a top QB. So for the opportunity cost stand point, young franchise QB on a rookie contract >>> 3 future 1st and a 3rd.

Yes of course if Zach Wilson is not good then it would be terrible management and JD would probably lose his job. That being said, JD knows that and he still went along with it. That should tell you how much he believes in ZW. The excitement in the Zach Wilson selection from looking around on social media is so low, though, I have never seen as many people write down a player who has not even played a game. Now it is up for Zach to prove them wrong again!

6. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

KY Jets Fan and REVISion like this.
  7. patleahy

KY Jets Fan likes this.
  8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

This is ridiculous tbh. To go through the draft with the benefit of hindsight and go "we could've had so and so player here" is preposterous and unrealistic.

TL;DR:

The draft would be easier if you could predict the future. How profound.

9. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

I think it's important to know that his ultimate desire was too stay at 2 and pick a receiver that ultimately went 10th (3rd WR taken.) Once you know this, it sheds a whole new light on his post.

Jets81, KY Jets Fan, PJ4Ever and 2 others like this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s only being downplayed because it’s the Jets. Any other team drafts Wilson and it’s an entirely different narrative.

Jets81, patleahy, Kryoptix and 3 others like this.
  11. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Lighten up Francis

york61, cval and FJF like this.
  12. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Hey, Eliyahu is here. Moshiach is coming. Enough said.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

You can't take chances playing Madden because there was no way to know without the benefit of hindsight whether any of the first round QBs would have been available by the time we picked. The only trade down I would have considered was moving one spot down to let the 49ers take Wilson, provided they gave us a big haul in return.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

First, do you think you know more than Douglas, a guy who watched Darnold play for 2+ years? After that experience, JD made up his mind that Sam wasn't going to be able to deliver a SB, at least not on his rookie contract, and to keep him would've meant a big investment with no guarantee of success - in fact, given Darnold's performance, the odds were actually against him succeeding. Once Douglas made that decision, he had to get a new QB in this draft.

After being able to study all the possible QBs, he decided Wilson was the best fit for what Saleh and LaFleur want to do. Also, he was able to determine that any other QB would not be as good a fit, or had some other shortcoming. And he knew with certainty that if he traded back from #2, he would not get Wilson. This is why trading back was never going to happen. And it was the right decision, assuming that Douglas firmly believes that Wilson was the best QB available. It doesn't matter whether you or I agree on that assessment - if a GM believes a certain player is a great fit, he needs to go get him if possible. In this case, JD didn't have to even "go get him", he was there for the taking - just like Mahomes was for Maccagnan who was too football-ignorant to act on it.

As for "all the draft capital he gave up", really, it wasn't all that much considering the actual value of the #2 pick: having #2 gave any team the ability to draft a QB not named Lawrence. This was more valuable than what Miami got for #3: two future first rounders and future 3rd rounder. If I was Douglas I wouldn't have accepted that deal. And we don't know if any team offered more. But just because they didn't offer more, doesn't mean that JD should've accepted less, and if the choice was: accept lesser value and not get the best QB on your board, or refuse lesser value and take the QB that most experts agreed was clearly the second best QB, and some even said he was THE best, it's clear what the choice had to be.

And again, regarding "all the draft capital" he theoretically could've had, you can't assume that would have been at least as much as what would be demanded to trade up next year or the year after to get a QB as good or better than Wilson, or that you would find a willing trade partner to do that. This isn't Madden - just because you're willing to make a trade doesn't mean you can make it happen.

What Douglas has done with this draft is very clearly "put his money where his mouth is". He has a blueprint and he's building upon that. This is mindboggling for a Jets GM! The last GM who had anything like a clear plan and an identity for the team was Parcells - two freaking decades ago!

Again, you're entitled to your opinion, and you're entitled to be wrong.

15. AJW

AJW Well-Known Member

Okay, go apply for the GM job then and let's see you do better.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

16. patleahy

^^^I agree, as usual, with much of what you said, CC. My only minor quibble is what the bold. There was a pretty even split amongst experts as to whether or not Fields or Wilson was the 2nd best QB, and I think that even amongst the Wilson supporters, very few said that he was "clearly the 2nd best qb."

17. cval

cval Well-Known Member

The experts agreed, the pundits did not. As was proved by where they were drafted.

18. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Whatever you said ..it sounds good lol

Translation?

19. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Elijah is English for the prophet Eliyahu who Jews welcome at every Seder at Passover. When Eliyahu actual shows up at the Seder, it's supposed to signal the coming of the Messiah (Moshiach in Hebrew).

BleedJetsGreen1981 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  20. patleahy

You can have your experts and your pundits, cval. I prefer to get my information from aficionados.....;):)

cval likes this.