Osemele out for the season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vokab206, Oct 15, 2019.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Bringing back Beacham for depth on a much cheaper contract would be ok as long as Beacham is willing to sign for a lot less.

2. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Yeah well no guarantee Beachum would agree to that. I’m hoping a 31 year old tackle already past his prime may not get a better offer than what JD offers. Even if the Jets draft a LT there would probably be a learning period for the rookie.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

You raise good points

Having said that, the fact that he was available for a 5/6 swap seems like smoke to me (guy was a year removed from back to back pro bowls).

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Highly doubt he does. o-line is too hard to find. he'll start somewhere or we'll have to make him a really high paid back-up. I wouldn't mind keeping him on 1 more year. he's a veteran leader and well liked on the team and can mentor/back-up our rookie LT we draft (hopefully) and play in case the rookie struggles.

mrjet80 and BacktoQueens like this.
  5. NCJetsfan

He struggled with injuries in 2018, plus Oakland switched from the man blocking scheme in which Osemele made the back-to-back pro bowls, to the zone blocking scheme and Osemele struggled in that scheme. I think that scheme just doesn't fit his style of play/mind set. He's very aggressive and is more of a power player rather than finesse.

6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

We need good experienced lineman.
    I’d definitely bring him back and let him compete next offseason.
    When he’s healthy he’s a beast of a run blocker.
    This is definitely a loss.

7. NCJetsfan

You could be right, but I would be very surprised if any team signed him to start. As desperate as teams are for OL help, he's been pretty bad this year. If he has any pride, he may retire. If he loves the game and/or still wants to make some money he could decide to try to hang on for another year or two as a backup.

8. GasedAndConfused

Of course we do, so do most teams. why would he want to take less money to be a backup if he can get paid more to start elsewhere? The other thing you need to look at is the cap situation. It's not bad, but it's not great either for the jets next year.
    Lineman are very hard to come by right now. some team will sign him to start somewhere. He's not good enough to get a mega deal but he can still get 8+ mil a season for a year or 2. it's better then taking 2-3 mil to be a backup. He's not as awful as you think though. a lot of the issues with our o-line were due to the QB and bad communication. beachum played great in the dallas game until he got hurt. He did get completely abused by garett in week 2 but outside of that game he's been pretty solid all year.

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

so......maybe Osemele is not out for the season?

Gase refused to give a definitive yes on him having surgery and while previous reports said the Jets used Osemale's roster spot to pick up that safety, they were amended after the team cut Luvu instead.....

so who the hell knows?? its not like there are journalists paid to cover this team and find this kind of stuff out or anything

10. GasedAndConfused

seems like we haven't actually IR'd him yet. apparently the 1st report was he was going on IR and we signed that safety to replace him, then they reported we signed the safety and waived maulet instead. I haven't seen anyone replace KO so he's not on IR as far as i know.

11. vokab206

vokab206 Well-Known Member