Osemele out for the season

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by vokab206, Oct 15, 2019.

1. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

He wasn't good anyway so no loss here.

I didn't hate the trade at the time. Low risk move to hope he could have a bounce back year. Oh well.

94Abraham likes this.
  2. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I've just been scouting around trying to read up a little more on Alex Lewis. It looks like he missed all of 2017 and was pretty mutilated through most of 2018 and he's been doing (to me since I guess I was ignorant of him) surprisingly well so far this season. Maybe he's potentially better than we realize despite the fact that he's already 27 years old.

3. Beki

Beki Active Member

Yep, that really hurts our OL depth and not to mention Beachum will be out for few weeks too. :/
    So, Shell will be the LT and pray for no other injuries there. Btw, how is our OL depth look like now? Harrison, Compton and McDermott and that's it?

This means KO will not be back in next season barring a restructure. Another unfortunate thing is that Lewis UFA next season...after a good year, he can ask lot of $$$.

4. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

Better keep a TE on Shell's side he's a turnstile

K'OB and BrowningNagle like this.
  5. Beki

Beki Active Member

Well yes...protecting our franchise QB's blindside after he played as RT...that will be a tough job for Shell.
    I just checked our depth...assuming the starting OL is Shell-Lewis-Kalil-Winters-Edoga, the depth is: McDermott, Harrison, Compton. xD

6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That's really too bad. I also had high hopes for Osemele, but sounds like Alex Lewis has been an upgrade at LG. I know some people don't like PFF, but they did rank him as the #5 OG out of 88 qualifiers over the last two weeks (https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/10936/kelechi-osemele). PFF may not be perfect, but that's a good sign. Hopefully he continues to play well and can be the answer at LG going forward as he is still in his prime. What's also encouraging is that Alex Lewis was an acquisition from Joe Douglas, so although very early, it's a bit of positive feedback on a move Douglas has actually made. Looking forward to seeing how he fares going forward.

NCJetsfan and Sec124DieHard like this.
  7. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

this helps explain some things
    1) helps explain why our O line was struggling
    2) helps explain why we got him cheap

Would certainly like to know what due diligence Macc did before the trade; after all Raiders were dumping a guy who made pro bowl the year before for a 5/6 round swap. Did Mac have someone truly look at medicals and do a physical or simply hope for the best from a guy with some name recognition?

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

it would be nice if we can keep lewis and maybe slide him to RG, then release KO and sign him at a cheaper deal and release winters to save money. Edoga looks good at RT so far so letting shell walk will be fine. then we just need to worry about TL and C

9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

that's gotta be the worst group of linemen I've seen the Jets try and play with since the Kotite days, maybe worse than that

mrjet80 likes this.
  10. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

The problem is that Mac was banking on this move to work out since he seemed very disinterested in adding more pieces. If Mac took him and then brought in Paradis or Morse I would say he’s doing all he can to fix a bad spot. The year prior he did the same thing bringing Spencer Long and not touching the rest of the offensive line as if it were a already good unit that needed one more piece to become great.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  11. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

very possible. He was beasting in the pre-season

BacktoQueens likes this.
  12. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I like that saying :D

13. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

He was playing like crap. Still sucks to hear. But with the way he was performing Cimini was right...he wasn't going to be out there much longer

14. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

All Mac seemed to take interest in was the LG slot every year.

15. mrjet80

Lewis is looking like a keeper at this point.

16. mrjet80

He can but I would say at this point he wouldn't exactly break the bank. And I'm sure Douglas would do whatever he could to keep him considering he signed him.

At this point it's looking like Shell, Kahil, KO are all probably goners. I wouldn't be surprised if Beachum were brought back perhaps for depth purposes. He is better than the current back-ups...ugh.

#36 mrjet80, Oct 15, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
  17. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

This was a bad day to buy an Osemele jersey.

BacktoQueens and K'OB like this.
  18. Ptflea2

Ptflea2 Well-Known Member

And you do?

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Correction. According to Over-the-Cap.com, the Jets would clear $11.7 million of the cap by releasing him. There is no dead money hit pre June 1 or post June 1.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Osemele was fine. There was no pre-existing condition. The shoulder injury was new. Where Mac screwed up was bringing in Osemele to play in a zone blocking scheme. Of course, with how little attention or thought Mac gave to the OL, he probably didn't know the difference between a zone and man blocking scheme. He probably thought that all OL could play either scheme.