Orlando Brown Jr-This is why Sewell at #2 should not be in consideration

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JetFan20, Feb 6, 2021.

1. JetFan20

JetFan20 Well-Known Member

There is no way to keep both he and Becton happy.

jetstopgun likes this.
  2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

There’s no way IMO the Jets would draft Sewell, when I feel interior OL is more an issue. And the talk amongst the fans is draft then move Becton to RT? That’s absurd.

Also I remember Brown was like a 5th round pick and he had huge concerns about being RT, forget being a LT... he was huge and athletically, scouts felt he’d struggle a lot in protection. Not sure how he headed out this year but Stanley is regarded as the best LT in football at this point

apjbfc likes this.
  3. chandler

chandler Well-Known Member

Putting aside system fit why is becton at RT absurd? As good as he was at LT he could dominate on the right side — instant running game

RochesterJet likes this.
  4. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

If the Jets stay at 2 and draft Sewell, my faith in Douglas goes down the shitter in a single flush.

westiedog1, NCJetsfan, FJF and 2 others like this.
  5. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

If Sowell goes #2 overall it won't be to the Jets.....

boozer32 likes this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Logically yes, no one would ever expect us to take him at 2. Logic has never stopped us before (see: 4th round pick on a bad college QB with glaring holes elsewhere).

REVISion and Footballgod214 like this.
  7. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

ya I hear ya. No arguments from me.

I see JD as a GM who will try hard to trade down from #2, and Sewell to the Bengals is probably his best shot at it. Or JD could see Z Wilson >>>> Sam and take Zack #2. The only guarantee we have is we will have no clue what JD is up to until it breaks on twitter. Until then we're just having fun with it.

8. REVISion

REVISion Well-Known Member

It's not that he wouldn't be good at RT, it's that it'd be tough to ask a guy to move to a position that makes significantly less money than the one he's already proven he's good at.

9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Our lack of a FQB and skill position talent while having a rising star at LT is why Sewell at 2 should not be in consideration.

10. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

If the Jets don't like the QBs, and aren't able to find a suitable trade down, I think Sewell will be the pick. Obviously the Jets will need to talk to Becton and Sewell and see if one of them would be willing to make the move.

Having said that, I think they'll take the QB at 2 and OL later on.

jetstopgun likes this.
  11. jetstopgun

jetstopgun Well-Known Member

Makes no sense to take Sewell at two..If he is as good as they say there’s no way we’re gonna be able to pay 2 Franchise tackles ... get Wilson IF you love him or trade down and get more draft capital

NCJetsfan and REVISion like this.
  12. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

We won’t take Sewell at #2 but, unlike you shitgibbons above, I’d be perfectly happy with the pick.

Strengthening an OL is rarely a bad move. Hell, get a decent guard and we can plug Jimmy Clausen in there at QB.

RochesterJet likes this.
  13. REVISion

What's your solution to forcing Becton or Sewell to take less money at RT? Becton's OL coach has already said he won't move to RT. Do you force Sewell to take less money there when he's one of the most highly rated LT prospects in years?

jetstopgun and bicketybam like this.
  14. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

For as much potential as he showed, Becton let up 7 sacks and was frequently injured. You move him to RT on his rookie deal. Sewell plays LT. You trade one down the line if you don’t have $ and likely get a few picks including a 1st rounder+. It’s not like the Jets are paying a qb, te, wr, rb, de, lber, safety big $$$ any time soon... so this whole talk of we can’t afford Sewell/Becton is more an emotional plea of fans who desperately want a qb or playmaker with the 2nd pick vs reality.

Sewell is likely the best player in this draft so there’s that too. The downside would be that it might signal the Jets plan to ride it out with Darnold...

BacktoQueens and RochesterJet like this.
  15. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

They would have to trade Becton before 2023 because he walks after that year when his contract is up. Drafting Sewell for a 3 year plan seems pretty short sighted to me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

apjbfc and REVISion like this.
  16. REVISion

Becton's coach has already said he won't be moving to RT...

I don't agree with this plan at all. I think taking two tackles at #11 and #2 overall with the intention of trading one after their rookie deal is completely asinine. You can find very good RT's way later in the draft, it's horrible value.

jetstopgun, NCJetsfan and bicketybam like this.
  17. SoylentGreen

SoylentGreen Well-Known Member

Thinking the same as every other team in a conventional way and expecting extraordinary results is asinine. It’s this same stale logic that has brought the Jets nothing but misery for the last 50 years.

Question - Did you hate the Adams trade?
    I mean that’s what I’m basically saying is a worst case scenario where you can’t sign both...

Also the days of RT’s not getting paid is an old way of thinking too. While LT’s still get paid more... overall, the gap has closed. The 4th highest tackle in the league plays RT.

Can the Jets pay both Becton and Sewell... yes, just means we may not be paying our Qb $45M, our TE $15M, out Top WR $12M... which again I don’t see being a problem...

Also maybe not everyone currently being paid on our oline are still there when it comes time to re-sign - our 2 stud OT’s - Fant ($10m), Lewis ($7m), Mcgovern ($10m), Van Rotten ($3.5m)...

There’s lots of ways you can make it work, is it totally conventional maybe not but it’s
    not a clear slam dunk as none of us know how JD and now Salwah plan to build this Jets team.

Whenever I’ve tried to predict how things will end up thinking conventionally I’ve been wrong...

With that said, I’m not opposed to Zach Wilson with pick #2 if his medicals check out...

RochesterJet likes this.
  18. RochesterJet

RochesterJet Well-Known Member

How did Pat Mahomes look Sunday night without his Tackles?

Also, How did Brady look with Smith (LT) and Wirfs (RT) Both fairly high draft picks.

Having Both Becton and Swell is a problem I welcome after seeing Sam/Flacco and so on run for their lives the past few years.

We need the days of Brick,Faneca,Mangold,Moore,Woody again...

BacktoQueens and ZachMFWilson like this.
  19. Jonathan_Vilma

Jonathan_Vilma Well-Known Member

It's about a $5 million per year difference for the top five paid at each position. That's a pretty big gap if you consider over the course of their second contract that's $25 million.

No need to overthink it. We can get a good right tackle at 23 if we want one. This draft is loaded with right tackles. Becton's natural position is on the left side. It's not as easy of a transition as everyone makes it out to be. The footwork and hand placement is completely different.

REVISion and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. ZachMFWilson

ZachMFWilson Active Member

I love how concerned everyone is about whether or not these men will be paid fair value 5 years from now. Very forward thinking.

RochesterJet likes this.