Options at QB for 2009

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by firemanedjr, Jan 6, 2009.

?

QB in '09?

1. Brett Favre

37 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. Kellen Clemens

52 vote(s)
    20.1%
  3. Brett Ratliff

111 vote(s)
    42.9%
  4. Kurt Warner

6 vote(s)
    2.3%
  5. Jeff Garcia

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Grossman/Boller

3 vote(s)
    1.2%
  7. Derek Anderson

9 vote(s)
    3.5%
  8. Billy Volek

5 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. Mark Sanchez

23 vote(s)
    8.9%
  10. Tim Tebow

10 vote(s)
    3.9%
  1. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

Next year will be his fourth, 2002 was Chad's third and people are still all over him for not beating an Oakland team in Oakland that ended up in the Super Bowl. And it was his first action ever, he took us from 1-4 to the division round of the playoffs, which is kind of my point, didn't take him long to "finally show something". Usually when a guy is good you see some results reasonably quickly. Clemems has a nice arm, that's great. He isn't very big, he isn't very accurate and he didn't show much pocket presence or awareness. If anything he was better when he first came in, maybe he started thinking too much, I don't know. I just hope he gets better or somebody else comes in here and does.

2. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Chad had a good OL and Curtis Martin in the backfield in 02 Clemens had shit in 07. Chad showed enough in TC in 02 not to get the job over an over the hill Vinny T. Chad also had a year here with a real QB coach in Dan Henning. Clemens not so much.

I'm willing to see if Clemens sucks, I'm not ready to say he sucks at the moment. You on the other hand are okay with it. No problem you're probably right unless you aren't.

3. Italian Seafood

Let me be clear, I'm still willing to give Clemens a chance, I'm not writing him off just yet. All I'm saying is that I haven't seen anything to date that tells me to hand him the job, hold no competition and hope it works. That could easily set us back a few more years. I don't know about Ratliff either, but right now these are the two guys we have, so why not give both a shot and double our chances of having one guy that can be good.

Regarding 2002, Curtis Martin got hurt in Week 1 and wasn't a factor until later in the year when Chad had already jump-started the team. I'm not sure what you're going for with your other comments---there was no competition for Vinny's job in 2002, he was coming off a playoff year and was firmly entrenched as the starter, and rightly so. Henning was the OC for one year in which Chad never saw the field behind Vinny and Lucas, so again I don't see the relevance of either of those.

#203 Italian Seafood, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  4. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

Usc is the Duke of College Football. The risk is to high to take a systems guy without any glaring stregnths to fall back on.

5. winstonbiggs

winstonbiggs 2008/2009 TGG Bill Parcells "Most Respected" Award

Curtis was hurt didn't miss a game averaged 4.2 YPC, third highest total of his career. He was a devestating blocker and that team was loaded. Hackett was brought in to install an O for Chad and Chad failed in both 01 and 02 to win the Job from Vinny. Vinny had a very Favre like year in 2000 with 21 TD and 25 INT's and Chad couldn't take his job in 01 with the WCO that was installed for him. Vinny had a very mediocre 01 with 15 TD and 14 INT's and a great 2700 yards passing and was 38 and Chad couldn't beat him out and there was a competition in 02.

How can you not see the relevance of a young QB who was being groomed to take over having a great QB coach on the team while he was learning the position?

6. Big Blocker

Big Blocker Well-Known Member

IS,

Again, we know what Chad's ceiling is. We saw it just this past Sunday, again. We don't know what Clemens's is. This is not that difficult.

7. Quack

Quack New Member

Brett Favre - My first choice, but I don't think he's coming back again.
    Kellen Clemens - He got the Carr treatment. If he can return to how he first played, he could be a decent starter, but I don't see it happening.
    Brett Ratliff - He made tremendous progress from his first year to his second. If he makes half that progress from year 2 to year 3, he could be the Jets' starter next season (If Favre isn't around).
    Kurt Warner - Jets won't have a shot at him.
    Jeff Garcia - I doubt the Jets would go after him.
    Grossman/Boller - Please no.
    Derek Anderson - See above.
    Billy Volek - See above.
    Mark Sanchez - The first alternative choice that might work, but he would need more offensive stability around him.
    Tim Tebow - Going back next year and he doesn't look like a pro QB.

8. Italian Seafood

Because the QB coach was gone two years before the QB got on the field and a whole different offense was installed by then.

Regarding Vinny, he led us to 12-1 in 1998 and the AFC title game, 9-7 in 2000, 10-6 and the playoffs in 2001. There's no way they were pulling him until he faltered, coaches just don't do it. Once Vinny did struggle it only took a few bad games and they went to Chad because he showed he was ready in camp. Look it up, they won the opener with Vinny and by the end of September Chad was in there. Largely because Curtis was hurt. Yes, he was playing and brought his average up by the end of the year, but he should have probably not been in there that September. That cost Vinny the job and was no help to Chad until mid season.

#208 Italian Seafood, Jan 7, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  9. Italian Seafood

We don't know what Ratliff's ceiling is, either. That's all subjective anyway, Chad had a bad game Sunday but Baltimore also has a way better team and Miami only had two healthy WRs. Funny how one game is the rule while 16 games are the exception, half of 2007 is the rule but all the other years are the exception. Peyton Manning has lost 6 of 9 times in the first round, what is his ceiling?

10. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

We keep letting go of players who don't have name recognition, some of which go on to be decent players...

Atari Bigby and Derrick Ward as two examples...

Ratliff has the look of a great player... let's let him at least show his stuff in a real football situation before we let him walk somewhere else too.

11. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I don't see how anyone can want this guy back after all the problems he's had here.

I'm curious, why would you want him back?

12. Italian Seafood

Look at our other options, Brett Ratliff is the #1 choice. Favre didn't train for this past season because he was "retired", he's too old to get away with that and he wore down at the end. If he wants to play, commits and prepares for the season like he needs to at 39/40, then he's our best chance.

13. Quack

Quack New Member

I'm just thinking of the Rhodes and Cotchery quotes, where they are talking about how they think everything would be so much better with a full offseason, not to mention a full preseason with Favre. If he isn't doing the proper offseason training, then it would be a great explanation as to why his arm tired out towards the end of the season.

14. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Maybe so, but Favre now apparently has a shoulder and/or biceps problem (I'm not sure which) and he's going to be 40. He has a dangerously low amount of mobility. He made AWFUL decisions and reads down the stretch and his arm strength was certainly dropping off down the road. Plus he didn't get along very well the team apparently and wasn't a real part of the team.

15. FOURTHANDLONG

That game on Sunday was the exact reason Chad is no longer a Jet. How many times does Chad have to do this for you to see his flaws. As I have said many times before while it is fresh in your memory Sb caliber teams in Jan take away your stregnth and force you to pass. Chad can not do it when he has to pass. 4 Int's later this is the result. I have broken down this exact blueprint year in and year out on Chad. This one game will happen every year Chad makes the playoffs and it has always ended ugly. Excecpt in Pitt. He gets a reluctant pass in that one. Do you really think Chad has the talent to take a team to the Sb that does not have a defense like the Ravens?

16. FOURTHANDLONG

Our best chance at what? We were 9-7 in a year when Tom Brady went down and we played the horrific Nfc and Afc West. Farve is our best chance to be one and done next year. Since 06 you have been reluctant to have this thing rebuilt with a Qb of the future and all that we have done is waste time. Farve as our Qb insures we will not have a shot at winning it all for another three years. Can we rebuild this mess the right way finally. Throwing the vet of the month behind center is not going to get it done. If Farve is our best chance we have no chance. This kind of best chance can't rebuild you can only retool attitude is what has ruined this Franchise. Look at all the teams who have gotten Qb's and took the risk of not doing well for a season since Chad got hurt. They are better off than we are.

17. Italian Seafood

I think he has the talent to win a Super Bowl, yes, but it's not a 1-on-1 game. He had a bad day, no argument, but Miami only dressed 3 WRs and one got hurt, so the deck was stacked against him. Every QB but one ends like that every year, that's the nature of the game. Baltimore has a great D, was heavily favored and without Chad Miami isn't even in the playoffs. Otherwise you're saying he should be able to carry a 1-15 team on his back to win the Super Bowl, that's never been done in the history of the NFL.

18. Italian Seafood

Your obsession with rebuilding around a young stud QB would be more vaild except for two things:

*we don't have a young stud QB and haven't since we've been having this discussion.

*the team spent $140 million on veteran free agents before even getting Favre.

In a perfect world I'd like to see the same thing as you but it's a lot easier said than done, especially when the people who make the decisions have their jobs on the line every year. Not to mention we draft #17 and I doubt anyone is going to give us a young stud QB any time soon.

19. FOURTHANDLONG

I think Parcells, Sporano, Porter and those two Running backs had alot to do with it as well. Not to discredit chad's job this year because it was fantastic and I would have voted for him as the league Mvp. With that said he still does not have what it takes to win the big one. When it came time for the Qb to make plays when it counted he found Ed Reed for a classic game ender. WIthout perfect conditions the deck will always be stacked against him.

20. Italian Seafood

Again, I'm not disputing Chad had a bad game, but you also have to recognize that Ed Reed is one of the great safeties in the game. That's the way it goes. I don't get why Miami only was dressing 3 WRs, they survived us with that but Baltimore has too much talent on D. Still, football is football. I think if you're good enough to get to the playoffs four times you're good enough to win a Super Bowl. Of course you need some breaks, everyone does or else they don't win it. Unless you're Joe Montana or one of those guys, which nobody is saying Chad is.