Opinion of Pennington's performance?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by stinkyB, Aug 12, 2006.

1. typeOnegative13NY

typeOnegative13NY Well-Known Member

Don't have it,wish i did. :sad:

2. hendersg

hendersg New Member

I liked what I saw. The play action is flawless, and personally, I've always felt no QB in the league does it better than Chad. I liked the way he stepped up in the pocket a few times, and found Coles on improvised routes. He had decent zip on the ball, and absorbed a few hits. The leadership skills were exceptional, as expected. Lets just hope he stays healthy, and we can get some kind of ground game going.

3. 10nyjets87

10nyjets87 New Member

Chad looked like him old self. Made good decision and didnt really try to force plays. He had two long drives. One they were going to attempt a 50 yard field go but someone jumped offsideds so they just punted it. Another was when he got hammered in fumbled but he had no time at all. The biggest plus that noone mentioned is that he absolutely controlled the tempo of the game, and the offense was always on the field.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

What are you talking about?

The last one was CLEARLY not his fault at all.

And the other was picked up by Pennington and he threw it away. Smart move.

Thank you.

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Just saw it on NFL network. He actually looked OK. Obviously no real impressive plays, but he looked ALOT better than he did in the few games he played last year. Overall I'd say it was an encouraging outing, and Clemens looked pretty good behind him.... The running game on the other hand...... do any of those jokers know how to block?

6. Murrell2878

Murrell2878 Lets go JETS!

I thought he played pretty good last night. Nothing spectacular. I thought he had a bit more zip on the ball than he did last year druingh the preseason

7. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

name one person who would have held on to the first fumble...and the second one is pretty much the same story..got crushed with his hand going up...acting like he fumbled snaps and just dropped the ball...

thank you

8. Scikotic

Scikotic Banned

I saw the game this morning on NFL network...thank god for Directv.. Chad looked sharp in my opinion...he hit many of his passes short however long enough to move the chains which is what i wanted to see...at least he wasnt dumping it off to the RB all game...hit Dwight and Coles many times and they got him the few extra yards to get the 1st...his leadership skills are pretty much what we can all expect from him...his ZIP on passes was actually a little more then i had anticipated...granted his longest pass was about 15 yards..( which fell incomplete) but it was moving a lot faster then i had previously seen. A great Step for Chad...he made some smart decisions and moved the ball on one of the best D's in the league...all i can say is at the end if the day...Our 1st team was tied with their 1st team...and we actually made it to the goal line..not too shabby...wish we called a better play on 3rd and goal to thwart their blitz...that hit made me cringe a bit

9. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Pennington got ripped apart in some FF sites I frequent.... I don't get where the Chad hate comes from. He was steady.... and looked very much like he did in 2002. Let's not forget, Cotchery should have held onto that fade pass. He failed to protect the ball after he had control, and it was batted out of his hands. On a fade, a WR has to keep his body between the ball and the defender. Cotch didn't get it done on that play. Should have been a TD.

This O line can't run block, at least they didn't last night. Houston did a good job of getting a few yards where there were none.

My VCR is screwed up, so I couldn't go back and see what happened on that safety blitz, and who failed to get #39. Blaming that sack on Penny makes as much sense as bashing Bollinger last year when he was getting hit on 3 step drops.

This is what you should look for from Scottenhiemer though. It's a short passing game offense. It was nice to see some innovative 4 wide and shift stuff though. This short game is how you beat 8 in the box with a lot of blitzing. I'm worried about the right side of the O line though... that's where the pressure kept coming from.

Overall, this is about what I expected. Pennington was steady, converted some 3rd downs and engineered some drives. He had a couple over throws, but what QB doesn't? Coles made a bad read on that one play, Chad put it where it was supposed to go.

I don't get the complainong though.... TB has a very good D. Did anyone think we'de wipe a division winner that wins with defense off the field? In the first preseason game?

10. NYJets38

NYJets38 New Member

Good post, just a slight correction, the fade that was knocked away from Cotchery was thrown by Clemens. When Chad threw it, Cotchery made the catch, but Chad threw it out of bounds.

11. VickBlows

VickBlows Active Member

That arm won’t cut it in the meadowlands wind. I don’t know how you could look at the velocity that Clemens was putting on the ball and conclude everything is good with the gimp.

You can get up and get a beer when Chad releases the ball and get back to the couch before it travels 10 yards.

12. ThunderbirdJet

ThunderbirdJet New Member

Yep.... I just started watching the replay on SNY.... I wish I didn't miss all of Penny's playing time tho....grrrrrr.

13. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Pennington looked fine - he took the team on two long drives. I don't know how anyone can say his arm strength looked weak when he didn't air it out.

14. penny10jet

penny10jet New Member

The most important play of the game was the fumble. THat was my favorite play of the game. Penny got hit hard right where he had his two surgeries. I cringed and i was pissed because the camera man followed the ball instead of following Chad's reaction, but Chad got right back up. We all know he can win games, and if you dont think so then what team have you been watching in Chad's tenure. The problem is staying on the field and injuries. Hes never won with his arm strength, but he does with his field presence, and that hit gave me confidence.

15. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

Chad looked okay, not great, but okay. Clemens looked solid and Ramsey looked crappy the little time that he played.

16. daking231

daking231 Member

from what I seen chad hit his short passes like he should.I need too see more before he is the starter in my eyes but its good 2 see chad get thru a game without getting hurt.

17. Imagesrdecieving

Imagesrdecieving Well-Known Member

Just a head's up - the red zone fumble WAS NOT Houston's fault. If you have slo-mo you can see that it was Adrian Jones' fault. He picked up the outside rusher when the tried and true rule is always to block the inside guy on a blitz.

18. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

he put ZERO points on the board. as soon as they start to play for real, defenses are going to blitz the hell out of him. the dink and dunk will turn into the chuck and duck.

he's already listed in the nascar death pool.:rofl:

19. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

:rofl: i thought i heard the ball quacking after 7 yards in the air.:rofl2:

20. MN_Jet_Fan

MN_Jet_Fan New Member

Some of you guys must have been watching a different game. Excellent leadership? Good leaders don't average a fumble per possession. Looked great throwing the ball? Guys, anyone here could complete a 4 yd pass. First team offense blew, and scored 0 points. Cutler totally outclassed Penny last night (granted they're two seperate offenses).

THis penny love is nuts. The guy could take a dump on the 50 yard line and some of you would coo about his "intangibles" and "leadership". Sorry, but I can't see past his "shitty arm"