Opening Day Starter?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Bigoljetairliner28, Apr 25, 2009.

?

Opening Day Starter?

1. Clemens

94 vote(s)
    43.1%
  2. Sanchez

122 vote(s)
    56.0%
  3. Other

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  1. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I agree with this for the most part. I would start dirty if he beats out KC in camp though.

As for what do the Jets get if Clemens does well? There are two options, they can either sign him to a small one year extension now which would make him tradeable, or they could tag him next season and trade him. In order to tag him he'd really have to light it up though because that would be a big contract for someone to trade for. I'd give him a 1 year extension now for the sole purpose of trading him next year if possible.

2. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

Would Clemens sign an extention after what the Jets have put him through last 2 years? Writing is on wall, Jets have to play a guy they pay #5 overall pick money to eventually. He may opt to test the FA waters on his own.

I'd love for Clemens to play well this year, and get some return value on him.
    Just don't know if Jets can pull that off.

3. WhiteShoeWillis

WhiteShoeWillis Well-Known Member

I don't know, it's a good question. He does seem like a true professional that understands the business, so maybe he would. Good question.

4. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Good post. If I have to make this decision (Clemens vs. Sanchez) right now (which seems foolish, really), I go with Clemens based on:

1) Clemens knows the book and has played against some very good NFL defenses (the Ravens, for instance) with some success. The times that he did play, he was behind an O-line that gave him no time at all.

2) He's had the benefit of many hours of indirect and direct tutoring by Pennington and Favre, including game-day observance of our division opponents' defenses. Also hundreds of hours of classroom time.

3) He has rapport already established with all the wideouts, Justin Keller and both RBs and knows their strengths as well as their limitations.

These are all NFL experiences the 22-year old Sanchez does not have. Beating Penn State is huge, but he played behind an O-line that gave him excellent protection. He also had other talent surrounding him on offense and a defense that gave him good field position.

You can't make this call now... it's way too early, but put a gun to my head and I go with Clemens. Throw Sanchez to the wolves right off the bat and you're not only begging for trouble, you're possibly hindering his development in the long run.

5. tom spicer

tom spicer New Member

We are in a cant lose spot let Kellen play if he plays well we have trade bait. If he plays poorly put in Sanchez after & few games & let Kellen walk at the end of the year.

6. BigGreenGangBang69

sanchez was born from zues him self, so he will obviously start and be a future hall of famer.

7. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

If Clemens starts and play well we trade him like NE traded Cassel for a 2nd round pick (or hopefully a 1st)

8. southparkfanciz

southparkfanciz Active Member

I'd rather see him start in week 2 against the Pats

9. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

i dont want them head hunting my new QB that early.

10. That Guy

That Guy New Member

Clemens knows the playbook like the back of his girlfriend. I say, with 89.5% confidence that KC should start. Sanchez is the man, BUT... it would be stupid to start Sanchez with an unproven receiving corp that hasn't yet gelled (though they will, no doubt, be better without Favre throwing the long ball to a slow, can't-get-off-the-ground-4-foot Coles...won't miss that AT ALL). If Sanchez starts early and the Jets don't start out favorably, that could kill his confidence. That said, if he picks up the playbook REALLY quickly and has a flawless preseason with the #1s (not backups, means nothing), then the kid earns his start.

11. bigalxc

bigalxc Active Member

I'm with you. Last time Kellen saw any time it was behind a shit O-line and got a raw deal. I think Kellen will be successful if given a fair shake