One Position That Should Be Moved Up In The Needs Column

Discussion in 'Draft' started by JohnnyThaJet, Nov 8, 2010.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Unless Rex hires Wade Phillips for his DC.

WHAT? Ain't happening.

2. Doogstein

Doogstein Member

After todays game this position is now a CLEAR must get in the draft next year in the early rounds. Rahim Moore or Deandre McDaniel should be our FS targets going into the draft for us. Wouldn't mind grabbin Tyler Sash either and grooming him to replace Leonhard in the next couple years. Pool just isn't going to cut it for this team.

3. hazmat

hazmat New Member

Safety and outside linebacker are going to be huge needs this off season.

4. The Grim Revis

The Grim Revis New Member

Pretty obvious that FS and OLB are our biggest needs. Outside of maybe a WR in rounds 5-7, the Jets need to go all defense in this draft. Our defense simply isn't that talented or fast and we need to add some youth.

I want Deunta Williams.

5. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

BIG BIGGGG no no for McDaniel, hes a good player but has been horrible in coverage. Love Moore. And Sash will go late 1st early 2nd.

So we are definitely looking at:
    Amahd Black
    Mark Barron
    Deunta Williams
    Rahim Moore

for late round 2nd. IMO theyll be there and should be picked. I said it time and time again we are going to by value of who is there when we pick but after we pick a 3-4 pass rushing 3-4 LB we must go for BPA DE or FS.

6. JohnnyThaJet

JohnnyThaJet Active Member

Id say we reach for the 3-4 OLB in the first then after that we go

2nd: BPA DE or FS
    4th: BPA DE or FS
    5th: NT
    6th: WR
    7th: OL Depth or another DE.

7. NDmick

NDmick Revis Christ

^ yeah, OLB has become the obvious top need.

Its getting bad now. And come playoff time it may be the time where this team gets exposed.

The DEs can hold their own. DeVito, Pouha, and Ellis can get one more year before they need a total replacement. Ellis has to be resigned. He's too damn consistent. They need a guy who can contribute right away and play all 3 spots. This scheme doesn't necessarily need a true NT or DE.

If they go FS early, he has to be a playmaker.

8. emania55

emania55 Member

one of the main reasons our fell apart in the 4th was that schaub had all the time he needed. especially when he bootlegged out. we can get a coverage safety later in the draft. If we upgrade our pass rush it will make our safeties job easier.

9. Green Hurricane

Green Hurricane Footsteps Falco

DeAndre McDaniel's getting one hell of a raw deal from some people this year. He hasn't been playing at the level he was last year (which was nothing short of All American/Thorpe Award quality), but he's still shown the same basic skills that made people love him as a prospect. He isn't just a willing run defender, he is a ferocious run stopper.

He's not the best matchup for a slot receiver, but he is a lot better athlete than he's given credit for. He accelerates well, recognizes plays and routes quickly, and is tremendous when the ball is in the air. He's a physical player who should have no problem battling with Tight Ends in space, which has clearly been a huge issue for the Jets this year.

Rahim Moore is a centerfield type player, but I'm not sure he's smart enough to play in this defense. Ahmad Black wouldn't add anything to the secondary, he's not the player who can match up against tight ends.

10. ace_o_spades

ace_o_spades New Member

I have a question: are there any prospects like Clay Matthews in the draft? What I mean is, and I may be wrong since I'm not big on CFB but he wasn't a DE in college right? So are there any LBs that played in a 4-3 as an outside lb but would excel at the 3-4 at this level?

11. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I was talking to WW through PM yesterday about our safety play after the win. I told him something along the lines of: DeAndre McDaniel should be our guy.

The more I think about it and the more I watch him play, I see DeAndre McDaniel as a great fit in Rex Ryan's scheme. I completely agree with you about DMC matching up on tight ends.

The mistakes in coverage are mental errors. He's either in the wrong spot or he takes a bad angle to the ball.

#51 Mr Electric, Nov 22, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2010
  12. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

It's funny GH brought up McDaniel last night, I PMed Mr.E a few hours earlier and mentioned our Safety positions need to be addressed. Yesterday's game was a clear example of lack of athleticism from our Safeties.

McDaniel is clearly the most athletic and talented Safety and should be available in late Rd 1. McDaniel is smart, tough and is fast/quick. I believe DMC could equally play either Safety position, but may be better suited as a true SS.

I don't know how others feel about 2011's safety class, IMO it's nothing special so it may be wise to get a top player in Rd 1.

13. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Are you talking about DMC or Pool :p? Just kidding... why not a Deunta Williams then (who seems to be the top prospect available) or Sash?

I remember last year you were high on DMC, whats the reason this year he's not playing as well?

#53 Mambo9, Nov 22, 2010
  14. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

Not trying to start another debat about age.. but the kid is only 20 yrs old (born 1990)... couple of years younger than the pther prospects...

DMC and Williams were born in 1987
    Sash in 1988

#54 Mambo9, Nov 22, 2010
  15. WW85

WW85 MOCKERATOR

I won't speak for MR E, but IMO McDaniel has a bigger upside than Williams. Williams is probably a more solid less risky player, even coming off his suspension, but DMC has a world of potential, especially with good coaching.

I love Tyler Sash, but he isn't going to be a game changer or pro bowl player in the NFL. Rumors have it Sash may come back for another year at Iowa. If we really wanted to upgrade the Safety positon, it's worth the risk on drafting McDaniel, cause he isn't a finished product. I have a feeling he's going to light up the Combine.

16. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

What has Deunta Williams done this year to make him the top player at his position? He's played in half as many games as other prospects because of idiotic off-the-field issues.

He's made some plays against the run, but he done close to nothing in pass defense.

DeAndre McDaniel is playing well, he's just not on the same level as guys like Earl Thomas or Eric Berry...and that leads people to believe that he's not a good player.

McDaniel hits like a truck and he makes big time plays against the pass. For a converted linebacker, he's got some sticky hands.

Everything he's done wrong this season is due to poor technique or misdiagnosing plays. His flaws can be fixed with coaching. If he's around late in the first round, he'd be a huge upgrade over Eric Smith.

#56 Mr Electric, Nov 22, 2010
  17. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

I can't see him running a great 40, but he'll kill the bench press and the drills.

18. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

1) No idea... it just seems to be the main opinion out there on many draft sites and I was wondering why...

2) You should look for a career into marketing :p. That said I think what scares people is the fact he is still learning the position coming from LB and, although the upside is big, maybe he'll never develop that killer instinct a FS should have...

As WW said it's a riskier pick but Rex loves DT (secondary coach) and I think he'd have faith in him getting the job done.

PS Whoever answers between you, Mr E or GH is always a good read ;)

19. Mr Electric

Mr Electric Banned

In my opinion, McDaniel was born with that instinct. He's the best run defending safety in this draft class.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NpAk11N3VkM[/youtube]

#59 Mr Electric, Nov 22, 2010
  20. Mambo9

Mambo9 Well-Known Member

I know it's wrong because safeties are asked to do everything... but I always think of the SS as more involved vs the run and FS more involved vs the pass...

So when I look at a FS I always tend to value more his ability to be in the right place at the right time when the ball is in the air rather than how able he is at stopping the run (although that's always a nice skill to have).

PS He would buy in the Jets mentality that's for sure!