One Jets Drive - Season 3 Debut on 8/4(Tuesday) at 8 pm

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Aug 4, 2020.

1. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

Tbh I might say Oline still needs help.

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I love these productions, and I'm an optimistic fan so I I have very high hopes for Darnold.

Objectively though, I couldn't fully enjoy the last episode because, despite it being engaging and well-produced, the wide-angle shot shows 75% of a 20 minute show on our franchise QB heading into his third year dedicated to...his high school and college success. They could have run almost the exact same piece before he had even taken a snap for the Jets.

I hope it all comes together for Sam this season!

3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

As a guy in production during a pandemic where you can’t travel and shoot... give em a friggin break :D

LF911SC and Snatch Catch like this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Kurt,

I know that you're frustrated. I have seen posters here this summer talking about edge, CB and OL for the 2021 draft and saying that WRs can be taken later. I totally get where you're coming from, and I share in your frustration. I don't know that our skill positions are bottom 5, however they certainly could be. They certainly can be a lot better, but considering where they've been over the last 10-15 years, they're the best they've been in a good while.

Where I think you're mistaken is including JD in the incompetence and failure. He hasn't done anything to make him worthy of inclusion with the others. He's only been on the job one year, and he has done a lot to make this team better during that time. You can't blame him for what Mac, Idzik and Bradway didn't prioritize before he was hired. There were no great WR or RB options in FA this year, and if it's true that JD was limited in what he could spend in FA by the Johnsons, it wouldn't have made any difference if there were. I think he did the best he could. While I think he could have taken another WR, and quite probably should have, the only one of our draft picks that I'd want to give up to get that additional WR would be Lamichal Perine, and even then, I think I'd rather have a faster RB who could score from anywhere on the field. I truly believe that JD will prioritize the skill positions in the 2021 FA period and the draft. He has two 1st round picks, two 3rd round picks, two 5th round picks, a 2nd, a 4th, and 2-3 other picks. If JD trades down again, instead of 10-11 picks, we could wind up with 12-13 picks or more. I believe that he will prioritize Edge, WR, OL, RB, and CB. Based on his comments and the way he drafted, he looks to improve the whole team in a draft, not just one side of the ball. That will mean that it will probably take a little longer to get our offensive skill positions where you, Falco, others and I want them, but I believe that he will definitely get them there. I don't think Sam will be ruined by the lack of weapons. If he was the type who could be ruined, I would think that would have already happened with the shitty OL he has had to play behind his first two seasons, the shitty skill position players, the shitty system and OC he had to play for his rookie seasons, having to play in two different offensive systems his first two years in the league and playing for two different HCs. I think he is smart enough, talented enough, and flexible enough that he can and will not only survive, but I think in his case, this will make him stronger and help him to thrive.

Right now, the Jets are thin in terms of proven quality skill position players. The thing is, even if JD had drafted two more WRs in the draft, that would still be the case. It would be more young potential and talent, but they would still be unproven. That goes on the failures of Bradway, Idzik and Mac. I have some hopes that Berrios, Cager, Campbell, and V. Smith are better than we think and can contribute if called upon. I believe that Herndon has the right attitude and is going to bounce back and show us why they Jets got so excited about him during his rookie season. With a better OL, I think Bell will be more effective, and Sam will be more effective. I think in Mims and Perriman, we have two WRs who will run the right routes, will work hard, will fight for the ball, and do what is necessary to help the team win. I think that next year this time, the team is going to look very different, and by 2022 this time, we are going to be amazed at how different the team will look and how much more talented it is. We're just going to have to be patient a little while longer. We all know that the roster management has been awful. There's nothing new about that. That's due to the cluelessness of Woody Johnson and the boobs the Jets have had as GMs and HCs since Parcells left. I truly believe that all changed when JD was hired. He has the background, experience, personality, character, and intelligence to build this the right way. I think the point can fairly be made that more could have been done in the draft to overhaul the offense, but one can't ignore the defense, especially when one has a great DC in Greg Williams who also has a volatile personality. You got to give him something to work with.

I'm also hoping that with Fant, Gase will have a good tackle eligible play or two that we can use to pick up some key 1st downs or scores. Bell admitted that he wasn't in good shape last year. He has worked hard and is as light as he was in high school. That should help him be faster and more elusive, and running behind Becton, he should be a lot more effective this season, which should help open up things for the passing attack.

#64 NCJetsfan, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2020
  5. NCJetsfan

You're acting like he doesn't know how bad the skill group is, and I think that's mistaken. I believe that he is fully aware. Again, there was little or nothing in terms of FA WRs this year. JD can't make a great WR suddenly available in FA. You said that you like his draft picks, so how he was supposed to transform the skill group in one bad FA with no great options at WR and so many holes/needs? As far as what JD promised to Sam's parents, I believe that you're mistaken. Based on what I have read and heard, he didn't promise them to improve the skill group. He only promised to fix the OL to keep Sam safe.

Similarly, how has the whole offense not been the focal point? In FA he did the best he could adding Breshard Perriman, all those OL, and TE Ross Travis. JD addressed the OL, WR, RB and QB positions in the draft. His top two picks were offensive players, three of his first five picks were offensive players, and overall, 5 were offensive players, 3 were defensive players, and one a STs player.

There's nothing about that that is a band aid or prioritizing only the OL and D. I'm sorry, I consider you a good friend, but that's just absurd, and I'd tell you that to your face. If that were true, he could have easily taken an Edge, CB, or another OL with his 2nd round pick instead of Mims.

It was unrealistic to think that he'd use his whole draft on offense. While I would have been very happy with that, it simply wasn't realistic to expect it to happen or say that it should have happened. We also knew that it was going to take more than one offseason to fix all the problems with the Jets' roster. In an earlier post, you said you know that it's going to take more than one season to fix the team, but then your subsequent posts seem like you've forgotten that or are ignoring that idea.

I believe that when JD took Ashtyn Davis, Davis was the highest-rated player left on the Jets draft board, and that alone is justification for taking Davis, but particularly with Jamal Adams attitude issues, I believe that it was the smart and right thing to do to take Davis. I don't think there was a single offensive player in the same area code in terms of talent and potential. The closest were Josh Jones (#72), Lynn Bowden (#80), and Lloyd Cushenberry (#83). Devin Duvernay (#92) was the closest WR, and I don't think he's even close to Davis in terms of potential. If JD had taken Jones or Cushenberry, it would have been more just focusing on the OL rather than the skill positions, and I didn't think Bowden was all that. He doesn't have game-breaking speed, and doesn't even have a true position.

Instead of Perine, JD could have perhaps taken RB Anthony McFarland (#124) or WR Gabriel Davis (#128). McFarland has the game-breaking speed, but I understand that he has poor character, so JD never would have taken him. I'm not sure that WR Gabriel Davis would have been that much better a pick than Perine, and even if he would have been, he still would have been as unproven in the NFL as Mims. WR Antonio Gandy-Golden (#142) is big, but slow for a WR, and doesn't appear to fit what the Jets want in terms of a WR or there may be some character issue there.

What would you have done differently than JD to focus more on offense, and skill in particular?

#65 NCJetsfan, Aug 13, 2020
    LF911SC and SOJAZ like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

Was it "bad offensive scouting" or bad parameters to work withing that Mac gave to the scouts? We know that one of the first, and I think, most important things that JD did when he started was to give a whole new paradigm to the scouts with which to work. Look at the results of the draft. I think JD knows his stuff from all of his experience with scouting. I'm sure that if he thinks that one or more of our scouts are not competent, that he will replace them. He hasn't so far. During the past year he has seen how they worked, followed his instructions, seen what their scouting reports looked like, and how well they met his expectations. I would think that if he had been unhappy with any of them, they would have already been fired. That makes me think that the scouting wasn't bad, it was the instructions (or lack thereof) types of players, evaluation system, priorities, and paradigm given by Mac.

#66 NCJetsfan, Aug 13, 2020
    KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

I know a few who would, but hopefully, most would not. I've already had discussions with a couple of posters who don't value WRs and don't think they're value picks in the 1st round. They said the priorities should be Edge and CB, so I understand Kurt's frustration with some Jets fans.

8. SOJAZ

SOJAZ Well-Known Member

Kurt, NC got it right. JD stated he would keep SAM safe...translation rebuild OL. After 50 + years watching this team, I know that you win most games in the trenches, period. Yes you need skilled positions and I agree with you ours may not be the best but I doubt they are as bad as you seem to think.

My biggest concern is and has been the OC alias HC and if he is capable of making the adjustment need to coach up this team... That is what you should be concerned about! Can he maybe will he we'll see.

Brook! likes this.
  9. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

The Jets overnight became brilliant documentary filmmakers yet after 60+ years still don't understand football

10. I wouldve drafted at least 1 more WR we knew could compete in 2021 that Sam could grow w rather than one of the defensive picks they made instead & wouldve traded the 2021 3rd rounder the Panthers were asking for Curtis Samuel & then signed him to a long term extension.

Thats 2 more guys i know & Sam knows are gonna be targets this season & beyond. I get the rebuild is gonna take time.I didnt expect every need to be filled overnight. But i expected alot more than swapping RA for Perriman on a 1 yr deal & a Day 2 pick.Sam needs long term help

NCJetsfan likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

I liked Bryan Edwards, but there may have been something about Edwards that JD didn't/doesn't like. I think I remember reading that Edwards' HC had gotten onto him for giving up on plays and not blocking on run plays. If true, then JD wouldn't want him, and unless I was convinced it was an aberration or one-time thing, I probably wouldn't have either. I wouldn't swap Ashtyn Davis for Edwards or any of the WRs that were available at that point in the draft and Edwards is the only WR I'd swap Zuniga for. The other thing to consider is that if JD didn't add Zuniga and Davis, maybe Greg Williams quits or sours on the Jets and leaves after this season. JD has to think about keeping his CS happy as well as building the roster and helping Sam develop.

I love both the Clark and Morgan picks, so the only pick I would change is the Lamichal Perine pick. The Jets needed a RB, however, and they took him before Clark or Morgan. In addition, I don't think there were any better RBs left at that point. Two WRs went in the 5th round that I would have considered: Tyler Johnson and Joe Reed. Johnson has excellent size and great character, but I believe is a little on the slow side. Joe Reed is fast, but is rawer, and I don't think would have helped Sam much this year, if ever. He is a KR and STs guy, so he could have had value. Bryce Hall is a better value that either of Johnson or Reed imo, so I wouldn't have taken one of them over Hall.

Do you like Duvernay? He's fast, but small, and I think has stiff hips and a limited route tree. The Jets already had Perriman, Mims, and Vyncint Smith who are burners, so I don't know that Duvernay would have helped Sam very much. Antonio Gandy-Golden has excellent size, but is definitely on the slower side, and the Jets were able to add Cager who has excellent size, and I'm not certain that Gandy-Golden is appreciably better than Cager.

Are you sure that's all the Panthers were looking for in exchange for Samuel was a 3rd round pick? If so, I'd be surprised. If they would accept the Seahawks 2021 3rd round pick for Samuel, and if he can play outside. I would be very tempted to do it. Again, does Samuel's character fit the type of player that JD wants on the team? Isn't he a slot WR? If so, he's too good to sit on the bench, but not good enough to replace Crowder imo.

I think Sam definitely has two guys that will be long-term help in Mims and Herndon. Crowder is 27 and he could give Sam another 2-3 years, maybe more. If Cager or Campbell develop that could be another WR. Even if not, between FA and the draft next year, JD could add 2 more WRs, a TE, and a speedy RB who can score from anywhere on the field, and the Jets' offense would look dramatically different. As long as JD does add more offensive firepower in 2021, I'll be happy. If not, then I'll be as frustrated and unhappy as you seem to be. Let's hope for the best!

12. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I would...if they hadn't basically done the equivalent of a pre-pandemic E60 piece on McClendon the week before! :D

13. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I know that you're frustrated. I have seen posters here this summer talking about edge, CB and OL for the 2021 draft and saying that WRs can be taken later. I totally get where you're coming from, and I share in your frustration. I don't know that our skill positions are bottom 5, however they certainly could be. They certainly can be a lot better, but considering where they've been over the last 10-15 years, they're the best they've been in a good while.

Where I think you're mistaken is including JD in the incompetence and failure. He hasn't done anything to make him worthy of inclusion with the others. He's only been on the job one year, and he has done a lot to make this team better during that time. You can't blame him for what Mac, Idzik and Bradway didn't prioritize before he was hired. There were no great WR or RB options in FA this year, and if it's true that JD was limited in what he could spend in FA by the Johnsons, it wouldn't have made any difference if there were. I think he did the best he could. While I think he could have taken another WR, and quite probably should have, the only one of our draft picks that I'd want to give up to get that additional WR would be Lamichal Perine, and even then, I think I'd rather have a faster RB who could score from anywhere on the field. I truly believe that JD will prioritize the skill positions in the 2021 FA period and the draft. He has two 1st round picks, two 3rd round picks, two 5th round picks, a 2nd, a 4th, and 2-3 other picks. If JD trades down again, instead of 10-11 picks, we could wind up with 12-13 picks or more. I believe that he will prioritize Edge, WR, OL, RB, and CB. Based on his comments and the way he drafted, he looks to improve the whole team in a draft, not just one side of the ball. That will mean that it will probably take a little longer to get our offensive skill positions where you, Falco, others and I want them, but I believe that he will definitely get them there. I don't think Sam will be ruined by the lack of weapons. If he was the type who could be ruined, I would think that would have already happened with the shitty OL he has had to play behind his first two seasons, the shitty skill position players, the shitty system and OC he had to play for his rookie seasons, having to play in two different offensive systems his first two years in the league and playing for two different HCs. I think he is smart enough, talented enough, and flexible enough that he can and will not only survive, but I think in his case, this will make him stronger and help him to thrive.

Right now, the Jets are thin in terms of proven quality skill position players. The thing is, even if JD had drafted two more WRs in the draft, that would still be the case. It would be more young potential and talent, but they would still be unproven. That goes on the failures of Bradway, Idzik and Mac. I have some hopes that Berrios, Cager, Campbell, and V. Smith are better than we think and can contribute if called upon. I believe that Herndon has the right attitude and is going to bounce back and show us why they Jets got so excited about him during his rookie season. With a better OL, I think Bell will be more effective, and Sam will be more effective. I think in Mims and Perriman, we have two WRs who will run the right routes, will work hard, will fight for the ball, and do what is necessary to help the team win. I think that next year this time, the team is going to look very different, and by 2022 this time, we are going to be amazed at how different the team will look and how much more talented it is. We're just going to have to be patient a little while longer. We all know that the roster management has been awful. There's nothing new about that. That's due to the cluelessness of Woody Johnson and the boobs the Jets have had as GMs and HCs since Parcells left.
    I truly believe that all changed when JD was hired. He has the background, experience, personality, character, and intelligence to build this the right way. I think the point can fairly be made that more could have been done in the draft to overhaul the offense, but one can't ignore the defense, especially when one has a great DC in Greg Williams who also has a volatile personality. You got to give him something to work with.

I'm also hoping that with Fant, Gase will have a good tackle eligible play or two that we can use to pick up some key 1st downs or scores. Bell admitted that he wasn't in good shape last year. He has worked hard and is as light as he was in high school. That should help him be faster and more elusive, and running behind Becton, he should be a lot more effective this season, which should help open up things for the passing attack.

______________________________________________________________________________________

You're acting like he doesn't know how bad the skill group is, and I think that's mistaken. I believe that he is fully aware. Again, there was little or nothing in terms of FA WRs this year. JD can't make a great WR suddenly available in FA. You said that you like his draft picks, so how he was supposed to transform the skill group in one bad FA with no great options at WR and so many holes/needs? As far as what JD promised to Sam's parents, I believe that you're mistaken. Based on what I have read and heard, he didn't promise them to improve the skill group. He only promised to fix the OL to keep Sam safe.

There's nothing about that that is a band aid or prioritizing only the OL and D. I'm sorry, I consider you a good friend, but that's just absurd, and I'd tell you that to your face. If that were true, he could have easily taken an Edge, CB, or another OL with his 2nd round pick instead of Mims.

14. joe

joe Well-Known Member

I believe that when JD took Ashtyn Davis, Davis was the highest-rated player left on the Jets draft board, and that alone is justification for taking Davis, but particularly with Jamal Adams attitude issues, I believe that it was the smart and right thing to do to take Davis. I don't think there was a single offensive player in the same area code in terms of talent and potential. The closest were Josh Jones (#72), Lynn Bowden (#80), and Lloyd Cushenberry (#83). Devin Duvernay (#92) was the closest WR, and I don't think he's even close to Davis in terms of potential. If JD had taken Jones or Cushenberry, it would have been more just focusing on the OL rather than the skill positions, and I didn't think Bowden was all that. He doesn't have game-breaking speed, and doesn't even have a true position.

Instead of Perine, JD could have perhaps taken RB Anthony McFarland (#124) or WR Gabriel Davis (#128). McFarland has the game-breaking speed, but I understand that he has poor character, so JD never would have taken him. I'm not sure that WR Gabriel Davis would have been that much better a pick than Perine, and even if he would have been, he still would have been as unproven in the NFL as Mims. WR Antonio Gandy-Golden (#142) is big, but slow for a WR, and doesn't appear to fit what the Jets want in terms of a WR or there may be some character issue there.

What would you have done differently than JD to focus more on offense, and skill in particular?

____________________________________________________________________________________________

I liked Bryan Edwards, but there may have been something about Edwards that JD didn't/doesn't like. I think I remember reading that Edwards' HC had gotten onto him for giving up on plays and not blocking on run plays. If true, then JD wouldn't want him, and unless I was convinced it was an aberration or one-time thing, I probably wouldn't have either. I wouldn't swap Ashtyn Davis for Edwards or any of the WRs that were available at that point in the draft and Edwards is the only WR I'd swap Zuniga for. The other thing to consider is that if JD didn't add Zuniga and Davis, maybe Greg Williams quits or sours on the Jets and leaves after this season. JD has to think about keeping his CS happy as well as building the roster and helping Sam develop.

I love both the Clark and Morgan picks, so the only pick I would change is the Lamichal Perine pick. The Jets needed a RB, however, and they took him before Clark or Morgan. In addition, I don't think there were any better RBs left at that point. Two WRs went in the 5th round that I would have considered: Tyler Johnson and Joe Reed. Johnson has excellent size and great character, but I believe is a little on the slow side. Joe Reed is fast, but is rawer, and I don't think would have helped Sam much this year, if ever. He is a KR and STs guy, so he could have had value. Bryce Hall is a better value that either of Johnson or Reed imo, so I wouldn't have taken one of them over Hall.

Do you like Duvernay? He's fast, but small, and I think has stiff hips and a limited route tree. The Jets already had Perriman, Mims, and Vyncint Smith who are burners, so I don't know that Duvernay would have helped Sam very much. Antonio Gandy-Golden has excellent size, but is definitely on the slower side, and the Jets were able to add Cager who has excellent size, and I'm not certain that Gandy-Golden is appreciably better than Cager.

Are you sure that's all the Panthers were looking for in exchange for Samuel was a 3rd round pick? If so, I'd be surprised. If they would accept the Seahawks 2021 3rd round pick for Samuel, and if he can play outside. I would be very tempted to do it. Again, does Samuel's character fit the type of player that JD wants on the team? Isn't he a slot WR? If so, he's too good to sit on the bench, but not good enough to replace Crowder imo.

I think Sam definitely has two guys that will be long-term help in Mims and Herndon. Crowder is 27 and he could give Sam another 2-3 years, maybe more. If Cager or Campbell develop that could be another WR. Even if not, between FA and the draft next year, JD could add 2 more WRs, a TE, and a speedy RB who can score from anywhere on the field, and the Jets' offense would look dramatically different. As long as JD does add more offensive firepower in 2021, I'll be happy. If not, then I'll be as frustrated and unhappy as you seem to be. Let's hope for the best!
    ___________________________________________________________________________________________

Why do you think you-talking-about-you at length is interesting?

Every post is = I, I, I + verbosity x 10.....ad nauseam.....

"I this...and I that".....z-z-z-z-....you've single-handedly wrecked this board...

[​IMG]

15. BroadwayAaron

At least this isn’t political bullshit, it’s just regular old bullshit.

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

Id hope they banged out some more stuff before the pandemic for later episodes. I’m sure they thought Sam would be pretty easily accessible over the offseason. It’s awful, trust me.

Snatch Catch likes this.
  17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Yeah, I understand why this season's episodes are not as good. But it doesn't change the fact that this year's episodes are not as good. It's not "must see" viewing.

18. NCJetsfan

I just saw an article on Fansided that mentions three players the author thinks the Jets should consider trading for: LB Haason Reddick, RB/WR Curtis Samuel, and CB Sidney Jones. I don't think Reddick is necessary, but Samuel and Jones I'd be happy adding if the price were right. I'm going to post the Samuel portion.

https://thejetpress.com/2020/08/11/ny-jets-3-radar-players-trade/

NY Jets: 3 under-the-radar players the team could trade for

by Justin Fried 3 days ago

Curtis Samuel‘s name has been brought up in trade rumors all offseason and the Jets have been one of the teams most often discussed. And that makes sense on both sides of the equation.

The Panthers are undergoing a bit of a roster makeover and Samuel, who’s entering the final year of his rookie deal, doesn’t really fit into the picture. On top of that, the signing of ex-Jets receiver Robby Anderson has made him expendable.

And for the Jets, this is a team that is still desperate for any immediate help they could get at the receiver position. Samuel could provide an immediate boost to the receiving corps and be the team’s second-most experienced receiver behind Jamison Crowder.

The former Ohio State star has the versatility to play either inside or outside and has also been used as a gadget player at times in Carolina’s offense. And after hauling in a career-high 54 catches for 627 yards last season, the Jets could certainly benefit from adding him.

It might take something as high as a fourth-round pick to get it done, but it’s definitely something worth looking into. It’s hard to look at the current crop of Jets’ receivers and feel optimistic about Sam Darnold’s situation going into 2020.

Perhaps the future is brighter with plenty of draft capital and someone like Denzel Mims who should only get better as time passes. But in terms of a 2020 outlook, few teams have a worse receiving corps than the Jets.

Samuel wouldn’t fix the problem, but he would absolutely help alleviate the concern. For the sake of Darnold, this is a trade possibility that Douglas should 100 percent explore.

He also ran the ball a lot in college and he would add an element that the Jets backfield lacks, speed. I've decided I'm with you on this. Get it done, JD!!!

19. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

My lord. That's embarassing for me.

20. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Wow. The character of McDougald. I’m extremely impressed. That guy has a new fan.