One Jets Drive - Season 3 Debut on 8/4(Tuesday) at 8 pm

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Aug 4, 2020.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Kurt, your points are all well taken and I think you will have a tough time finding someone on here who disagrees with that. But to say that he has "no weapons" and that "nobody seems to give a damn", is not accurate.

Douglas is in year one of his tenure with this franchise. In the first year, he has made HUGE steps to put us in the right direction for many years to come. His number one priority was to get Sam Darnold an offensive line. You can have the best weapons in the world, but if you have no line, the ball will never get to those said weapons. Your blanket statement of "nobody gives a damn" is not fair to make against the current front office.

Crowder has no history of sitting out games to injury. He is a very good weapon to have and is a very reliable one.

Bell may have had a rough year last year, but that is not his norm. That also can be chalked up to a piss poor offensive line.

Perriman showed glimpses of greatness last year and can be a solid weapon for Darnold.

Mims, if he pans out like we all imagine he will, can be a monster weapon.

Herndon has proven to be a solid weapon and if he stays healthy, can be a great safety blanket for Darnold.

Yes, there are still many unknowns with his current weapons, but to say we have none just is not accurate.

Douglas is unable to rebuild an entire roster in one year. I can guarantee you he will go after more weapons now that his line is built.

And please take a shot every time I say the word "weapons". Jesus

FJF likes this.
  2. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I dunno. Maybe because other than mono, it was the biggest moment of his 2019 season? It'd be like creating a special on Mark Sanchez and never mentioning the butt fumble game. "Well, he talked about it b4 so why bring it up in a docu-series?"

But yeah, it IS a fluff piece for sure. Just that Sam ain't got enough fluff yet to fill a whole Jet Drive episode!

3. You know i respect you & your opinion.

But any way you slice it this is a bottom 5 surrounding cast if not the worst in the entire league.And thats at full strength before any injuries.

whats this unit look like if even ONE of Crowder/Bell/Herndon go down?

I get we dont wanna throw JD under the bus but the reality is in 3 yrs of Darnold the Jets have prioritized other needs, quite often on the other side of the ball rather than providing Darnold w weapons to grow w;Something everyother team w a young QB has supplied them w to help them to develop. When you consider how everything went down w Sanchez..its utter failure & incompetence.And im sorry JD has to be included in it

We wouldnt stand for it at OL w only 1 yr of basement level play..why do we accept it from the guys who score points for going on nearly 10 yrs?And w our second young developing QB in as many yrs?I dont get it.Really i dont. Its horrible roster management & foresight.The demise of Sam is literally staring us in the face & if it happens it should be no surprise.

4. Falco21

I am just confused on how you are throwing JD in the mix when you continue to reference the 3 year career of Sam Darnold and the nearly 10 years with little weapons.

You can not fault Douglas for wanting to rebuild an entire offensive line in his first year. One of the single most important aspect of any football team. Again, it is irrelevant how good your play-makers and QB are if you have the league's worst offensive line. You can thrown Douglas under the bus if he makes no moves to improve the weapons next off season. It is extremely premature throwing his name into blame for years of failure from previous general managers.

There are many teams that are at the lower end of the spectrum in wide receiver talent that make up for it elsewhere. Some of the worst groups last year included the Titans, the Patriots, the Packers, the Vikings, hell even the Ravens were a below average wide receiving corps.

Sam Darnold needed protection and he needed it bad. You can not expect him or Bell to succeed without a much improved line.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  5. JD had a whole season to absorb where this roster was at. He had to know how bad the skill group was & how imperative it was to change that.Hell he promised it to sam’s parents.

Conventional wisdom was that the WHOLE OFFENSE woud be a focal point & drastically upgraded. It wasnt.Only the OL.JD gets a pass bc hes still in the honeymoon stage & jet fans think OL is the only thing that matters.

But to completely absolve JD for the deplorable state of this surrounding cast is misguided in my estimation.He had the abiity to attack head on this offseason & he chose to use a band aid to prioritize OL & defense instead(Sound famiiar)?

Now maybe it all works out & we laugh about this a yr from now.But REGARDLESS of who the GM is...this team cannot be eft off the hook until they properly invest in a young QBs develop AND finally adapt to modern day football where the boundary matters.Winning match ups matters.They have yet to do that.Until they do im gonna keep calling them out for it.JD included

#45 KurtTheJetsFan, Aug 13, 2020
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 13, 2020
  6. Dax89

Dax89 Active Member

Just a couple points:

(1) We went 1st and second round picks on offense, it's not like we drafted another DT this year.
    (2) Oline was obviously the #1 priority this year, as it should have been. Having a dumpster fire O-line is a bigger problem in the NFL than anything other than dumpster fire level QB play, end of story. Even with the money and draft capital spent this year on it it's still a project.
    (3) Now with the Adams trade we have plenty of cap space going forward and 4 1st round picks in the next two years. Douglas is going to have plenty to work in the near future.
    (4) Douglas has shown in the past year he (1) is drafting like he knows what he's doing and (2) hasn't given out huge dumb contracts that make no sense (see Bell signing). Fixing this roster was never going to happen overnight. We've seen enough of mortgaging the future to create marginal on-field improvement over the last decade.

Mogriffjr, SOJAZ and FJF like this.
  7. Ive liked the job JD has done overall..

But all of his good work goes to waste if Sam fails or leaves in 2 yrs.

We cant let the state of the OL blind the state of the rest of the offense.The boundary is much more important today than it was even ten yrs ago.Not far behind OL really. The key this offseason was OFFENSE.Help for Sam.Not just upfront but guys to throw to & make plays too.

Cause thats a big part of the what the Jets wholesale problem has been;Bad offensive scouting & overemphasis on defense. At the end of the day its about balance,but in order to even get the team back to square one offense has got to be fixated on.

8. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Why have you relaunched this OL V WR scenario again, after pretty much being silent on it for ages, nothing, literally nothing has changed since you last argued with everybody on the same subject, in fact, I actually thought somebody had bumped an old thread as the exact same arguments are being thrown out by you and the others in reply.

It is utterly futile at this point to get so het up about it any longer, now I will fully understand you blowing up if after the next draft he hasn't addressed the WR department in the 1st or 2nd.

Like previously said we have what we have and hopefully the improved OL will at least give Sam the time required to find his target as opposed to running for his damned life every snap.

9. Dont be surprised when Sam walks in 2 yrs.Enjoy your precious OL

10. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

What is the matter with you?

If you want it played that way, Sam would definitely walk after 2 more years of being put on his arse, come on man, you're a better poster than this kind of crap comment.

In fact, if this was DWC people would be giving you a hard time for that kind of tat.

Aero likes this.
  11. I dont care about popular opinion..if anything its why i keep standing up against it..cause in this case its WRONG

12. Falco21

In his first year, Douglas completely revamped our entire offensive line signing 5+ players including drafting one with our first round pick.

He got rid of Anderson who only knew how to run straight. Signed Perriman as a replacement. Cheaper and more versatile.

Drafted Mims at an incredible value.

And now he traded Jamal Adams for a monster haul that can be used to power our offense.

I am sorry, but we definitely do not see eye to eye on this one. Far from it. You are asking for Douglas to completely overhaul an entire offense in one year. That in of itself is absurd to expect.

And Jets fans think offensive line is the only thing that matters? No, but it is the most important thing on the offense. Again, it is irrelevant who your weapons are if you have no time to throw the ball and if your QB is on his back the entire game. I point you in the direction of teams like the Titans, Patriots, and Ravens. All of which had below average receivers but continued to score points. Having loaded weapons does not translate into success if you have no offensive line.

SOJAZ and FJF like this.
  13. Falco21

I think you will find yourself hard pressed to find anyone, commentator, poster, or writer that would agree with your assessment of Joe Douglas and what he has done so far.

Your point on the lack of attention for many years is true. But to throw Douglas at this problem and claim that his approach was inaccurate is unfounded.

Aero and SOJAZ like this.
  14. you care more about defending JD than you do about the product on the field.I get it why..but it is what it is.

Dont care who the GM is..just fix this damn team.That starts w giving sam what he needs.Now maybe hes only a comparative 10-20% apart of the disaster but 10-20% isnt 0.

15. Falco21

You think the Patriots game was the biggest moment of his 2019 season? Not the fact that he finished the final 8 games throwing 13 TD, 4 INT, going 6-2, and having one of the best QB rating in the entire NFL in that stretch?

A horrible single game he had is the most important moment of last season outside of mono? Really?

SOJAZ and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  16. Falco21

I do not care more about defending JD more than the product on the field. I care about this franchise and the weekly outcome every year. But I also can see what JD has done and have to shake my head in approval in the short year he has been here.

You say just fix the damn team. What do you think he's doing? You truly expected him to fix the damn team in one year?

SOJAZ likes this.
  17. No.I expected offense to be more of a focal point in both FA & the draft.Yes he got a ton of pieces for the OL,but all he did was bring in a 1 yr band aid to replace RA & drafted Mims.I dont think its unreasonable or out of line to expect acouple more long term pieces. “He couldnt do everything in 1 offseason” well fine..but like it or not clock is ticking on Sam. Hes still got major overhauling to do on this offense..imo we should be alil further along offensively after JDs first draft

18. Falco21

You can argue that other pieces could have been added, but where we added pieces we would be lacking in other areas. Drafting a guy like Ashtyn Davis looked strange until Adams was traded.

I will leave it at this, Sam Darnold has the weapons he needs to make strides forward and have a breakout year. He does not need amazing talent at WR in order to become elite. He needs a healthy solid offensive line to throw behind with average to above average weapons. Bell is an above average running back. Crowder is an above average slot receiver. Mims can be an above average receiver. Herndon can be an above average TE. Everyone needs to do their part, but with the weapons he has, Darnold should be able to progress. While he does need better weapons, the offensive line was far more important.

TrojanPride, Brook!, Aero and 3 others like this.
  19. I hope you’re right.All the best

Brook! and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

If we come out of round 1 in 2021 with Chase and Etienne, would people here react by saying, "You can find good WR's and RB's after round 1. We really need OL, Edge, and CB help."

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.