One Hell of a QB Mess

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Section 227. Row 5, Jan 3, 2008.

1. JetsLookingforDWare

I think I would hate Tangini if they drafted a QB with the 6th pick.

The great coaches like Parcells and Walsh strongly believed in putting a young QB in a position to succeed. That meant giving him weapons, protection, and a running game. Unless we fixed our OL... and one of these QBs actually looks good enough to warrant the #6 pick...I'm just against doing it.

Theres no point. You can't keep plugging talented guys behind a mediocre team and saying "hey, do something with this cause you're the QB." Thats not how it works, and it completely overrates the QB position.

2. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

I just don't think that works. If they spend a 1st round pick on a QB then they'll have a 3 headed hydra in camp and the team will be rudderless from the get-go.

What I think they need to do is to cut Chad and draft a QB in the 3rd to 6th round to begin learning the system.

The team, for better or worse, becomes Clemens team for next year while the other guy learns the ropes. For all of Clemens inadequacies last year, and they were glaring at times, the Jets won 3 of the 7 games he actually played the majority of the game in. They won 3 of the 6 after he took over as starting QB.

I think the Jets need to spend a lot of value next year on the two lines and virtually nowhere else. They need a DT, a DE, a LG and a RT. If they don't fill 3 of those 4 slots with a good player this offseason it isn't going to matter who is behind QB, the Jets will still be a mediocre to poor team next season.

3. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I really believe Clemens can be a good Qb if he is given the tools to succeed. Drafting a Qb with the first pick would be a disaster in my eyes but if they feel they blew it with Clemens they might as well get the heir apparent and let him sit for a few years no matter what rd they get him in. I think Chad should be cut and we should fix both lines next year and then evaluate Kellen when the season is over this year. I would hope that Tanny saying Chad will be a Jet next year is just a smokescreen to try and get a draft choice for him as opposed to cutting him. Your absolutely right regarding the lines. Everything starts in the trenches.

4. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

Even if they think they blew it with Clemens, they should only take a QB if they see demi-god potential in him, and I doubt any of the QBs in this draft have that much talent coming into this draft. Even if they think they did blow the pick with Clemens, the best course of action at this point is to evaluate Clemens under better circumstances... he has never been given a chance to succeed with a real offense around him.

5. FOURTHANDLONG

FOURTHANDLONG Active Member

I agree with what you said regarding Clemens but the longer we have to wait to get the Heir apparent in our system the longer we will be rebuilding. It takes a few years for a Qb to get comfortable with a system and the speed of the game. We are at least 2 to three years away from being good again if all goes well. If we have to get somebody else next year we will be that much farther away from being respectable again.

6. xxedge72x

xxedge72x 2018 Gang Green QB Guru Award Winner

That's where the title of this thread comes into play, because on one hand you're absolutely right and we could end up setting ourselves back... but on the other hand, if we pick a QB with the #6 pick, or even with our 2nd or 3rd round pick to a lesser degree, we're almost guaranteed to have to play that pick eventually, and that can also potentially ruin Clemens psyche, and Clemens if it turns out that he IS the QB of the future... if it were up to me I'd probably draft a QB with a 5th or 6th round pick, someone with a ton of talent who fell in the draft, but might have some baggage that needs to be worked on... high risk high reward kind of thing, without taking a huge risk in the earlier rounds, and make another evaluation next year depending on what happens and whether or not Mangini is still a Jet.

7. skipper

skipper Member

Fix the lines, then worry about what comes next. Put the FA $ and high draft choices into DL & OL. If that gets fixed we all know we're going to be a MUCH better team.

8. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

Hey... I have an idea!

It looks like Michael Vick will be getting out of the slammer in time for TC. It's also about the same time we break ground for the new stadium.

We petition Governor Corzine to include in the plans for the new stadium a dog-sitting facility alongside... you know... for people who maybe might want to bring their dogs to the game but know they can't bring them in, so this way they can leave them with Michael's dog-sitting service while they go to the game!

And it serves a dual purpose! If Clemens is having a rough time, we send him out to the parking lot to watch Michael's dogfighting... er.. I mean... dogsitting service, and he sends Michael in to throw some balls around for us.

9. Section 227. Row 5

Maybe this isn't such a good idea though, come to think of it.

I could see some Jets fans becoming a little irrate after the game when they go to pick up their dog and he's a little, er... "roughed up."

Jets Fan: "Hey Michael, WTF happened to my Yellow Lab puppy?"

Michael Vick: "Dude, the dog was misbehaving, so we had to discipline him a little by throwing him up against a chainlink fence for awhile."

10. Italian Seafood

Italian Seafood New Member

I wanted to bring my dog to the last game against the Chiefs. I had an extra ticket which I ended up not using, he likes the cold and certainly would have been down with the tailgating. There was room in the section and he usually watches the games with me when I'm at home. It was tempting, plus we park so far from the stadium that he would have even gotten his walk in.

11. Section 227. Row 5

A potential customer!

12. Gator

Gator Active Member

It's possible your dog is following you to games without you knowing, because I think I saw him at some games this year. He's big and hairy, right? Goes 'Woof Woof' a lot?

13. Italian Seafood

This is him with his Jets blanket:

[​IMG]

He actually would have been one of the better behaved fans at the game.

14. Section 227. Row 5

Looks like he needs a little discipline. I'd enrole him in the Michael Vick School Of Dog Obedience.

15. Section 227. Row 5

That was actually Italian Seafood you saw after he had a few drinks. You don't want to know what his dog looks like.

16. Italian Seafood

Nah. What happened is I got pissed off at a game and said "Fuck the Jets!", so he got his blanket and got busy. He has a Jets collar but I took it off him in 2002 at 1-4 and never put it back on.

17. Section 227. Row 5

Hahahahahaaaa.... too funny!

18. Gator

Gator Active Member

Didn't we destroy San Diego on the west coast two weeks later? The good old days........

19. Italian Seafood

Yes, we played to win the game. Chad was awesome if I remember correctly. :up:

20. Section 227. Row 5

You play to win the game?

Christ, I didn't know that.