On the clock .... what do you do? (draft question)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Spike_D, Mar 11, 2008.

1. soh_vet

soh_vet Well-Known Member

either Sedrick Ellis or Glen Dorsey.

Yes, they both would be playing DE in the 3-4. Both are as big and more athletic than our current 3/4 DE Sean Ellis, i'm sure they'll be fine at that position.

Gholston or Long if available, if not trade down is my first option, the 2 mentioned at the top are my second.

2. Don

Don 2008 TGG Rich Kotite "Least Knowledgeable" Award W

Nobody in their right mind would do that. What if they are injured for starters? You can't insure them if they haven't had a physical up front. I'm not saying Al Davis still has all his faculties but unless you are perfectly willing to accept a player with their existing contract sight unseen no GM would ever do it. Of course for a 4th round pick he probably cared more about dumping the pick then he did about getting anybody back at all.

3. Don

4. brothermoose

brothermoose Well-Known Member

5. DonnieBaseball23

DonnieBaseball23 Active Member

Flacco will be a #2 at best in the NFL. I still have no idea what this "Joe Flacco Man Crush" is all about.

6. GreenMachine

in 2001:
    1. -- Arizona Cardinals traded CB Aeneas Williams to the St. Louis Rams for the Rams second- (No. 54) and fourth-round (No. 123)

in 1996:
    the St. Louis Rams traded running back Jerome Bettis and a third round draft pick to the Pittsburgh Steelers in exchange for a second round pick for that year, as well as a fourth round pick the following year.

And wasn't Moss traded to NE on draft day?

7. Let's keep in mind w/ Williams that he was only in STl for 2 years and in the second year was moved to FS....all of his top production came w/ Zona.

8. jamezmetsy

jamezmetsy Member

lol what happens if time expireres?

9. Don

Then it's a race between us and all the teams behind us to get their picks up there as fast as they can. Just like in '03. Minnesota let time expire and two teams got picks in before they did...the funny thing is I think they still got the best player and the only one of the three still playing.

Google the '03 draft.

#69 Don, Mar 12, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2008
  10. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

that was my pick, also.

11. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

CBs the way to go, especially considering NE will likely be taking the best available CB at 7 (despite reports that theyre looking to draft Gholston)

12. I'm sorry..but no corner in this draft is worth a top 10 pick let alone a # 6.

13. notjustQBs

notjustQBs New Member

How about Revis?

14. KRhodesMVP

KRhodesMVP Banned

Some mock drafts have NE taking Cromartie at 7 and Baltimore taking McKelvin at 8. Im not sure why you think a potentially elite cornerback isnt worth taking at 6, especially when thats an obvious need area for us to fill.

15. Catfish Billy

Catfish Billy Well-Known Member

Philip Merling, Limas Sweed, or Rashard Mendenhall.

16. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

Part of the problem with this "dilemma" is that people are too attached to that good old Value Chart. So what if we trade down to a team that plays the 4-3 so they can pick-up Dorsey for their first and third rounder? People will say that's not enough value. The only problem with that Value Chart is that it doesn't account for the rules of economics. The market when Herschel Walker was traded is not the same market now. It's time to give up this archaic concept. A sound deal is one that both teams can live with regardless of where it stands in the chart.

I think that some point you just have to say that getting less value from a trade like this and paying less in salaries and bonuses is a better alternative than picking someone we don't need or reaching for someone that we do and paying him the money for that slot.

I don't think that there are any CB's, WR's or RB's (except for Baby Daddy McFaddie) worth the No.6 slot. Trade down to the Lions for their first and third rounder and call it even.

17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I agree man2man, there aren't any CB's or WR's that are worthy of #6 money, but I think we can get a little more value the the presented Lions trade...

My first option would be to trade with Dallas for their two 1st rounders or just a 1st this year and a 1st next year from some other team with a higher pick than dallas. If there weren't any takers I would take either Long, Gholston, and Mcfadden (which is the last resort because we really don't need any more RB's).

18. man2man_cover

man2man_cover New Member

But the premise of the thread is that Long, Gholston and McFaddie are gone by the time we pick at the 6th spot. That being said and assuming Dallas' hard-on for McFaddie is legitimate, yeah Dallas's two first rounders would definitely be better IF they're offering it.

Don't get me wrong. I would advocate getting the best possible deal for the 6th spot but some determination needs to be made as to what constitute an acceptable trade. If we're in a position to trade down and get an extra pick for the effort, then we should target guys like Groves, DRC, Stewart or even Hardy (or best available WR).

19. But neither is "Potentially elite". Both off them have alot of serious questions they need to answer about their games. Neither of them are in the same REALM of a prospect as Revis was...and he barely went top 15.

As for the mock drafts...both NE and Balty are in positions as franchise to reach for a need position at that spot. We are still in the rebuilding stages and cannot afford to breach the best player available philosophy.