OMG Aaron Maybin has been working out with Laron Landry & Micheal Phelps

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by soxxx, Jun 30, 2012.

1. NotSatoshiNakamoto

Yes he's a situational pass rusher. You're wrong about the rest.

We can go for even longer next time.

That's not why the "one trick pony" crap started. A lot of players come in for specific situations and specifically a lot of players come in for pass rush situations only. No one labels them a one trick pony. People started calling Maybin that because he used to only have one pass rush "move" (if you want to call it that).

It has nothing to do with being in for pass rush only, it's what people backpedal to when you call them out on his pass rush technique that they're criticizing because they saw someone else do so and they forgot to watch him develop themselves.

2. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

3. CHK

CHK Banned

I am really scratching my head over this thread. I just don't understand how people are talking about his great college LB play and the need to resign him now before he costs to much. No one else in the league wants this guy. We even cut him last year.

Maybin is the poster child for being a "one trick pony". He is a situational pass rusher, without a real position, who has one move...speed. Let's just be honest about the facts and leave the personal attacks out of it.

4. NotSatoshiNakamoto

We cut him, then we re-signed him and he led the team in sacks.

Is he a situational pass rusher? Absolutely. Is he a one trick pony who only has a speed rush? Nope, you're wrong, like many others who base their opinions on the past instead of having actually paid attention to him this year.

5. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

Exactly. Just because the guy's best asset is his speed does not mean it is the only thing he does.

6. Professor Frink

What does he bring to the table other than a speed rush?

7. NotSatoshiNakamoto

How about a bull rush? How about some pass rushing moves that accentuate the outside speed rush like a club swim and a spin move? The guy was using different pass rush techniques this year. He may have been a "one trick pony" in the past but he's come a long way.

8. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

9. CHK

CHK Banned

Listen guys we all want him to develop. Fact is he has never had anything move other than speed! Zach are you really going to tell me that "double move" wasn't just speed? He didn't use a rip, swim or spin....he just flat out ran fast outside then back fast inside.

10. GMCJETS

GMCJETS New Member

I like the ridicule and hate on this forum the best.

We are all NYJETS fans who havent won a damn Championship in 43 years yet we bash each other and hate the players on this team who actually may contribute to us getting better.

Everyones a damn football expert pro and college. Cant seem to figure why quite a few of you are here actually surprised ESPN hasnt hired you as analysts.

#130 GMCJETS, Jul 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2012
  11. NotSatoshiNakamoto

He does use a club move on the inside shoulder of the RT on that play, but here are some more that shows him using moves you say he doesn't.

http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2357891&postcount=4
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2357893&postcount=6
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2357895&postcount=7
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2357897&postcount=9
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2357899&postcount=11
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2357902&postcount=13
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2357905&postcount=15
    http://forums.theganggreen.com/showpost.php?p=2357933&postcount=16

12. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Speed helps - that i can admit.

Was it purely speed? That's your one-trick pony argument, dumbass. IT IS NOT. I rest my case.

(And then there is more illustrating postings right above - but I know you won't even bother checking it out, living in your own delusion.)

13. Professor Frink

I don't think calling him a one-trick pony is quite the attack you're making it out to be. I think Dwight Freeney is a one-trick pony. It's not because I think he only has one way to get to the QB, it's because all of his success is based on his speed. The only reason that spin move is so effective is because the threat of his speed forces OTs to backtrack very quickly. It's easier for him to get guys off-balance.

On the play you linked too, all he did was get the guy up the field and make a quick cut to his inside shoulder. He just used his speed to get the RT off-balance, it required no upper-body strength whatsoever to do that move. It was definitely a good move, but one based purely on speed.

But regardless of this argument, as to whether he's a pure speed player or more well-rounded, I'm not gonna expect him to suddenly become a good player. The way I saw it, last year he was an average-at-best part-time player. He wasn't a consistently disruptive player when he was on the field. If the coaching staff really thought this guy had some legit pass-rushing ability he would have seen the field a lot more, because they were desperate for it.

It's certainly possible the guy could get better, but IMHO, the last time we saw him play football, he wasn't a good player. If you want to believe he's gonna have a breakout year, that's your prerogative. But please don't get upset with the rest of us if we have our doubts.

Hey, did you see that? I responded to your post without accusing you of being blind, or stupid, or biased, or gay, or whatever other insults you people are intent at hurling at me. We're just talking football man, maybe you should just chill the fuck out :)

Major kudos to you for all the hard work. I dig the passion :up:

But that wasn't much of a club move

14. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

You can't beat NFL offensive lineman consistently with just speed alone. Which is why the bigger, stronger, Maybin should be an even better player this season.

15. NotSatoshiNakamoto

So now we're going to criticize the quality of his new moves with "it's not much of a ..." Whatever makes people sleep at night. It was a club move, even if it wasn't much of one and it helped him get a game sealing strip sack. He is a part time player because he's a major liability against the run. It's not because he's a "one trick pony".

When people refer to him as that they're referring to the fact that he used to just use the outside speed rush and loop around to the QB. He's clearly much more than that at this point even if his new techniques aren't well polished or dominant. His speed IS dominant and o-linemen have to respect it so his other moves are more effective even before he polishes them. If he is able to hone a couple of those into very good he could be very dangerous.

16. Professor Frink

C'mon man, if you're trying to argue that his success is based on more then just speed, you can't use that play as an example. A club move requires you to generate power from your arm, that's not what happened here. He just got the RT off-balance and got his left arm past the guy's inside shoulder. There was no power or strength, just speed.

I don't know what people you're referring to, but this is what I said

Dominant? That's a stretch.

But ultimately, they weren't all that effective last year.

17. NotSatoshiNakamoto

I provided several links to plays with multiple photos and written descriptions to prove that he was absolutely 100% using more than just a speed rush.

I'm referring to pretty much every Jets fan who latched on to the "one trick pony" term from when all he did was take a hard speed rush outside and loop back around.

Maybe I used poor wording there. I meant his speed is elite for his position. It is.

They were effective enough to help make him one of the highest sack/snap ratio players in the league. The point is simply that he is effectively using more than just an outside speed rush. He's using a bullrush, a swim move, and a club inside move now.

Maybin himself will tell you he needs to improve those moves.

18. Professor Frink

I'm gonna abstain from commenting on those plays, because the pictures don't provide enough context for me to feel comfortable to judge the play. I have the game on my computer, and when I get the chance I hope to rewatch the plays in question and give you my take on them. But for now, I have nothing to express other than my appreciation for your efforts.

Dumb fans are dumb. I think we'd both be better off not worrying about what they say and just respond to the people worth our time.

But sacks aren't a great a measure of how effective a player is. He didn't generate pressure with any kind of consistency last year, which I think is a red-flag because he was only on the field during obvious passing situations.

We're all in agreement, he needs to improve. I'm not saying he can't, I'm asking what can you realistically expect from him in 2012? Last year, I saw a mediocre, part-time player, how much better then that is he gonna be?

19. Milliner is your Mommy

Milliner is your Mommy Well-Known Member

True but to be honest as great as it would be to have a flat out nasty pass rusher like JPP or Jared Allen, the Jets really just need a couple of guys who can get there consistently within a reasonable amount of time. Most of our sacks are coverage sacks with Revis and Cromartie locking down receivers. It would feel like an eternity before anyone got close to the QB. If Maybin, Coples, Wilk, and Pace or really whoever can just get to the QB in a reasonable amount of time they will get more sacks on the Jets then they would on most other teams and we would see a lot more throw aways.

The Jets biggest issue on D this year was giving up completions on 3rd and really long. We would drop 6 or 7 in coverage and without anyone getting to the QB someone eventually gets open. Or on the opposite we blitz the house everyone gets jammed in the middle and someone goes free.

Jets passrush from an individual standpoint has been about as bad as it could possibly be the last couple years.

20. CHK

CHK Banned

Yes his game is just speed. I saw the pictures of the 3 yard bull rush for a completion against the Skins who had the worst offensive line in football. Buffalo had 11 sacks against that line last year! I really hope Maybin develops into more but I am just a little more conservative in my assessment of his game. I'm just not ready to extend a big contract to the guy on what I have seen so far. Let's be honest Rex could put Landry out there in the same role and generate as many or more sacks.