Old-school Jets fans-What happened in 1986??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by patleahy, Feb 22, 2021.

1. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

EVERYONE got hurt!

We got Gasteneau and O'Brien back at the tail end of the playoffs only to lose to the Browns in double overtime.

If those guys were healthy I am not sure I have ever seen a Jets team with a better chance at a SB win in my lifetime.

When they beat Elway's undefeated Broncos on Monday Night you knew these guys were special.

2. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

Paul McGuire was an idiot.

3. hornblower

hornblower Well-Known Member

Called my wife. Went to a bar to drink some and get my car the next day at Leonia gas station. Worth it!

4. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Beta Sigma. The one that got the boot for hazing in 1986.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

5. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

The AFC championship game loss to the Broncos when Parcells was coach was worse for me. I really thought we were going to win the SB that year.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

That was also heartbreaking.

matt robinson 17 and bicketybam like this.
  7. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

JetsAreBadForYourHealth Well-Known Member

Gastineau gets all the blame for starting the snowball of SOJ events, but there was another guy (a blitzing safety perhaps) who got Kosar just as badly and an obvious penalty even in the pre babying the QB's NFL. They just decided to throw the flag on Gastineau

James Hasty and KWJetsFan like this.
  8. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Yes!!! I think the same thing every time I see that play. It was literally one or the other. They easily could have called it on both. The other thing I remember about that game is when the Jets took a 10-point lead late, Charlie Steiner said, "The New York Jets are going to the AFC Championship!!" That still makes me a little nauseous.

AJW likes this.
  9. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

Probably would have Bicketybam. I believe we definitely would have beaten Chris Chandler and that Falcons team. I think they shot their load in upsetting the Vikings in the NFC title game, I believe we had the better, deeper roster and there is NO WAY Parcells would have been outcoached by Dan Reeves in a Super Bowl, which is the game Reeves could never win, lol. I honestly think that was the Jets BEST CHANCE to win a Lombardi Trophy since Super Bowl III. Damn shame they couldn't hang on in that 2nd half against Denver.

10. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

Remember it well.

I think we'd actually beat Denver too. We matched up well with Denver and had the speed on D catch and bring down Elway. We did it earlier that year. Also Denvers run D started to fall apart as that season progressed and they would've had a lot of issues with McNeil. Hector I think may have been hurt...not sure if he would've suited up

That would've set up a Jets/Giants Super Bowl. I can't even imagine how surreal it would've been. To be completely honest....I'd like to think we'd find a way but maybe the Browns debacle saved us from an even greater SOJ calamity down the road.

KWJetsFan and patleahy like this.
  11. patleahy

patleahy Well-Known Member

I really like your avatar JetsAreBad. I am a huge fan of polar bears, so it always makes me laugh when I see it. Anyway, I agree with your opinion, but I have to say that I think that Giants team definitely beats the Jets IF that Super Bowl took place, which makes the Jets lose to the Browns slightly easier to take than their loss to the Broncos in '98. I think IF we had won that AFC title game, we would have had an advantageous Super Bowl matchup with a team we would have taken down in the Falcons.

12. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

We would have massacred them. We already had that year (granted it was a 44 year old Steve DeBerg at QB) but the way that 98 team was rolling with the usual Parcells mainstays and mercenaries...they had it together until...

bicketybam likes this.
  13. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I had already graduated, but I remember it.

I am APD from the 70s. Beta Sigma were even getting in trouble back then.

14. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

Pains me to say it, but the Giants would have wrecked us. It might have been the only way ever that I would not have wanted to be in the Super Bowl. I would never want to make it and lose to the Giants.

15. JetsAreBadForYourHealth

Same. Though beating them in the Super Bowl would be something they'd never live down. Never. The Maras have always been scumbags and they have a seething hatred for the Jets

16. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

You're right, and he was a really good player. He intercepted seven passes one season.

17. ukjetsfan

ukjetsfan Well-Known Member

That was a classless move by the team. Bruce Coslett did not like O'Brien at all and in one 'off the record' comment he said to a bunch of reporters something like 'the reason we're not winning is our quarterback is crap. You all know it.' Whatever his feelings (and O'Brien was a shadow of his former self by that stage of his career), Kenny was a classy player and he deserved better treatment. And just maybe the reason we couldn't win was because our coach was crap, ever consider that, Bruce?

RPOZ51 likes this.
  18. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

The short answer is ... Kenny O'Brien fell apart. The better question is: Why?

For all we know, he might have had a concussion that nobody knew about. The guy was the best QB in the league through 11 games, then he couldn't throw the ball in the ocean.

19. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Along with people smoking weed during halftime at the ramps I remember people throwing money into the pit. Then someone would be brave/crazy enough to go in there and grab the money while being belted with beer bottles, food, and anything else people could throw down at them. I prefer the Shea/Giants Stadium days as well. The only thing MetLife is good for is the wider concourses and getting in and out of the bathroom goes a lot quicker.

ouchy likes this.
  20. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

Thanks for this. I never heard the Coslett story before, but I am not surprised at all.

patleahy likes this.