ok folks - play GM on the 29th

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jilozzo, Apr 11, 2006.

1. ToonWalker

ToonWalker New Member

I 100% agree. If we are lucky enough to have Leinart fall into our laps at pick 4,we listen to trade offers as a courtesy.Then we hand in our pick,to the cheers of ecstatic Jets fans. I just can't see passing on a franchise QB.He would have been the no-brainer #1 pick last year. A team,like the Jets, that does not currently have a young,franchise QB needs to take Leinart. Do you really want to pass on the most polished,pro-ready QB since Peyton so that the team can roll the dice with Ramsey(who's been given numerous chances to be a reliable starter) or Pennington(who is built like a Precious Moments figurine)? He would instantly put a face on the franchise,and he's a proven,coachable winner.

2. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

trade down and get a first rounder next year and get Brady Quinn

3. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

The subject of the thread's scenario may not be entirely impossible and stranger things have happened. Granted, the chances are slim.

But given our "stealth free agency" so far, it looks like we're quietly and deliberately acquiring help on both sides of the ball and doing it thoughtfully and unnoticeably. And in case no one's been paying attention, we're picking up people who are largely NOT readily available in this year's draft. I'm quite pleased with the acquisitions so far and we haven't even entered the draft yet.

Hence, I have a hypothetical question within this thread: Could it be, given the direction of who we've already picked up, that we're preparing for something like the above scenario or that we may have even been afforded some sort of insight from the teams ahead of us as to who they might or might not pick and that we're setting ourselves up for some kind of Leinart scenario? It's almost like we're getting ready for some kind of situation in which we land something really big. Your thoughts.... I already know mine....

4. jilozzo

jilozzo Well-Known Member

honestly i think we will be staring at mario williams at #4.

jil

5. F Miami

F Miami Active Member

Agreed. When you are rebuilding a team, you should start with a QB and line. QB's take longer to develop and once the line is addressed, then you get your RB. RB can be addressed in the later rounds or even next year.

6. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

My only suggestion for the 2006 draft--DON'T TRADE UP--After years of bad drafts we need to get some depth and hit a home run with several picks. We don't need another "three for one" like Dwayne (underachiever) Robertson--I don't blame Robertson though--he didn't ask the jets to trade two 1's and a 4 for him.

7. Rambo13

Rambo13 New Member

The pick has got to be Leinart no question. We have enough picks in the draft that we don't need anymore. Take the bluechip talent, we have 4 other first day picks and 4 other second day picks to fill in the holes. One or two more is not going to make up for missing one of the top tier guys.

PS it is amazing how many people replied without fully reading the opening post!

8. vilmaisabeast

vilmaisabeast New Member

We are either going to pick a quarterback this year and a RB next or a RB this year and a QB next year. next year Michael bush, Adrian Peterson, Darius Walker and other good RBs are coming out. For QB's its Brady Quinn, Chris Leak, and Drew Stanton. I would rather have cutler than chris leak and drew stanton( Quinn will probably go top 5 and we will be in the teens maybe 20s if were lucky). Most likely leinart will go to tennesee and meet up with his former O.Coordinator, D'Brick gone at #2. This leaves Mario or Cutler. I would trade down and take cutler , and get carpenter or lawson later. Not sure who to trade down w/ yet.

9. JETSFAN5180

JETSFAN5180 Banned

blaylock stinks

10. dwalsh

dwalsh 2006 TGG.com Rookie of the Year Award Winner

Darius Walker wont be coming out next year.
    I think we take care of both QB and RB next year (Brady Quinn, trade up if we must) and a 2nd or 3rd round RB.

But if Leinart & D'Brick were gone, then i see us trading down a few spots and picking Jay Cutler, and worrying about RB next year (Adrian Peterson if we're lucky(

11. JCnflies

JCnflies New Member

If Leinert is on the board, I look to make a trade that will pick up an extra first rounder this year but drop back only a couple of slots. I would like to drop back only as far as I see Hawk or Williams still available. I don't even consider a trade that does not net me both a #1 next year (in addition to this year's) and a #2 this year.

If Leinert is off the board but Williams on it, I doubt we could get as much for the pick. So we take Williams and smile:) Later in the day get Mangold at 29 or a good tackle and pray that the other is available a few picks later.

12. Section 227. Row 5

Section 227. Row 5 Active Member

People seem to think that "dropping back a few spots" to get, say, a Cutler or whatever, is an easy thing. It's not. First of all, you've got to find a team to do that. Secondly (and the biggest gamble of all), God-forbid you "drop back" and you've dropped too far and the object of having done that... Cutler, for example, is picked one ahead of you. Now you've pretty much screwed yourself. What now? Drop back again? Pick the BAP who may not necessarily be a player of need for the Jets? Wind up with 10 picks all over the place and nothing of real significant blue-chip value? I can see the Star-Ledger now, with their "grades" after the draft.

I don't see "dropping back" happening, and I don't see it happening this year in particular. Mangini and Tannenbaum don't want egg on their faces this early in their tenure. They need to come out of this draft looking like they have a relative handle on what they're doing. They're not about to take a chance that we screw up and miss a few really good players.

For that reason, I see us using our #4 right where we are. I don't see us trading up and I don't see us trading down. Of course, anything is possible, and if some team comes along that absolutely HAS TO HAVE our #4 and wants to trade the farm, well... that we won't pass up. But that's not going to happen, IMO and I think "Tangini" goes with the safe, solid pick at #4 this year. They won't be critisized no matter who gets selected.

If Leinart is there a #4, we'd have to be nuts not to take him.

13. ganooch

ganooch Member

I know i differ here, but if Leinart is gone, and the trade opportunities are not worth it, I say the Jets take AJ Hawk. I know he is not considered a # 4 but I think they shoud get him because he and Vilma would be awesome together.

14. vegaskarl

vegaskarl Well-Known Member

I am not a big fan of Bill Parcells but the one thing I respect about him is his building of a football team. He demands a great OL, a very good RB and a solid defense with excellent CB. The two biggest moves he made as coach/gm for the Jets was trading for Curtis Martin, signing Kevin Mawea and drafting Randy Thomas (wish he was still here). I just do not think you can pass up D'Brick. It is a safe pick and a very needed one.

I know Parcells passed on Orlando Pace but looking back it was a mistake as Pace is still the best LT in football and all the extra picks BP got are gone.

If D'Brick is gone and Leinart is still there I would trade down but no farther the 9th or 10th pick and pick up an extra #2 plus.

15. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

So I had my 3rd dream regarding the NFL draft last night. There was some sort of "practice draft" and I was in charge of making the Jets picks(this is online) and at 4 Dbrick and Mario were still available and I took D'Brick and fans got pissed at me. Then at 29 I took Nick Mangold even though I didn't think the Jets would take 2 OL in first round, but I thought Carpenter would be available at our 2nd round pick, he ended up going 2 before and then I took the TE, Mercedes Lewis??(is that his name) because he was the best available. Fans were very angry at me. Then somehow I was in New York and I was helping out Tagliabue set up for the draft, and I asked him if there was any way he could hook me up with some tickets so I didn't have to wait in line and he said no!

16. IslandJET

IslandJET Member

I don't think we'll be picking at #4. I'd love to be wrong, but I have a terrible feeling that we're going to try and trade UP to snag Leinart at #2. NO wants out of that spot so they can pay less for D'Brick.

Back to the question, given the choice between Mario and Leinart at #4, I'd go for the DE. We have 3 Qbs that have all started in the NFL, are all relatively young, and all have room for improvement (be it physically [Chad], mentally [Ramsey], or maturity [Bolly]). In my opinion, you fix the lines first - both on offense and defense - and then fine-tune the other positions.

17. jetsfan119

jetsfan119 New Member

I couldnt agree more. I still say trade the 4 and a 3rd rounder to denver for the 15 and 22 picks. that would be nice, 3 first round picks. D. Williams, McNeil, and Mangold. wouldnt that be nice?

18. QBKILLER94

QBKILLER94 New Member

In that scenario, I think the Jets have to take Matt Leinart unless their getting a Mike Ditka/Ricky Williams like trade offer from another team. I'm totally against the Jets trading up for Leinart, but if he slips to #4 then we MUST take him.
    He's got the pedigree, leadership, intellect and poise in the pocket that you like to see in a starting NFL QB. No quarterback has had that kind of resume coming out of college since Peyton Manning. Take him at #4.

19. MSUJet85

MSUJet85 ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Except that Martin is 33 coming off of season ending surgery after playing on the injury all year, Blaylock was a 3rd down back that was also injured all year, there is a reason why Houston was even there in the 6th round for our pick, and I am not going to blow off his thyroid condition because if it wasn't an issue and he was a 1st/2nd/3rd round talent, then there is no way that he would have been available for us in the 6th round. Face it, our RB position is needed to be adressed as much as the QB position is going to be, and for all those that are saying Adrian Peterson is going to be available, the RB that was 2nd for the Heisman as a freshman, if he is available, he is going to be a top 3 pick, so it is likely that we won't be in position for him.

20. Exit 117

Exit 117 Active Member

Hello, Matt. Welcome to the New York Jets.