Oh how SWEEP it is!

Discussion in 'Baseball Forum' started by TampaBayJetsFan85, Jul 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DefenseWinsChampionships

I really couldn't care less about a "world series" because as a once suffering Devil Rays fan I'm just excited to have a fun baseball team to root for and watch every night.

The loss of Tyler Glasnow doesn't hurt our Franchise and doesn't hurt our baseball team because unlike your Yankees, my Rays have an A+ Front Office backed up by an A+ Farm System. We were able to overcome the loss of Cy Young Blake Snell without missing a beat and that's because our Franchise creates and makes these starting pitchers and not the other way around.

Tyler Glassnow? Lol he's not even a Rays drafted pitching prospect and he's nothing more than a .500 pitcher (20-20) with an ERA over 4. He absolutely stunk in both Pittsburgh and Toronto and was only able to turn his losing MLB career around once he joined the Rays and that's only because of our Rays pitching staff.

Tyler Glassnow? Hah. We "lost him" almost two months ago but yet we're still 1st place and 6.0 ahead of your $Yankees$.

He also got absolutely destroyed during both the 2019/2020 playoffs and world series while going 2-5 throughout 8 starts and allowed a whooping 10 HRs, an atrocious 26 runs allowed with an embarrassing ERA of 6.56 (Playoffs/World Series) and is the reason why we lost the World Series to LAD because he went 0-2 and allowed 10 runs. He stinks.

I'm not glad he got hurt but I'm glad he won't be around for our playoffs run this year because during big games of postseason play he's absolutely atrocious.

(I can tell you know nothing about "Tyler Glassnow")

#261 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 5, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2021
  2. bicketybam

bicketybam Well-Known Member

Well I'm glad you couldn't care less about a World Series. It will make things easier for you plus a daughter should never have to see her father cry

P.S. Run the water in the bathroom so she won't hear your sobs. You can also go with "Daddy got something in his eye."

3. DefenseWinsChampionships

Come on man. You don't think my Rays have a legitimate shot @ making the World Series for the 3rd time since 2008?

This is the strongest Rays baseball team from top to bottom that we've ever had.

4. bicketybam

Of course the Rays (What's up with "my Rays?" Are you an owner or a player?) can make it to the WS. The goal is to win it. The Dodgers are a far superior team and I'd say the odds of anyone beating them aren't great. They can legit run out 5 pitchers that would be 1's or 2's on any team. Guys that can give you innings. And their lineup is probably the best in baseball.

I think the Rays have a great shot at the pennant. But after that they will be the underdog to either the Dodgers or SF. Same goes for the Yankees but I don't think they will even make it to the WS.

5. DefenseWinsChampionships

I call them my JETS, my Knicks, my Rays etc because they're my favorite teams and without us fans, there is no sports.

But yeah I know we can beat the Dodgers this year. We went 6 games vs. them last year and Tyler Glassnow absolutely killed us vs. them and this year we're a much deeper team and much more battle tested (Nelson Cruz @ DH can become big time).

And I believe your Yankees will make the playoffs as a wildcard while still competing for the division. That final Yankees vs Rays series of the regular season has potential playoff implications written all over it. I just love Anthony Rizzo a Florida kid one of my favorite baseball players just look at his resume.

3× All-Star (2014–2016)
    World Series champion (2016)
    4× Gold Glove Award (2016, 2018–2020)
    Silver Slugger Award (2016)
    Roberto Clemente Award (2017)
    Fielding Bible Award (2016)
    246 career HRs.

He's a baseball phenom and only 31 years old (super young for baseball) and I believe the perfect sparkplug to lead the Yankees into postseason play throughout the 2nd half and only what 2.0 games back of the wildcard spot?

I couldn't care less about strikeouts because a lineup of LeMahieu, Stanton, Judge and now freaking Rizzo GOOD GOD that's scary for any MLB starting pitcher and especially come playoff baseball.

I don't watch them like you guys do but from the outside looking in your Yankees are scary. And I won't lie. I root against NYY every night. I don't want to run into them in the playoffs. At least not this year I don't. Please give me Boston instead.

6. DefenseWinsChampionships

@bicketybam who is Nestor Cortes Jr and where did he come from and how good is he? I remember seeing him last time we played and he struck us out a lot of times and lasted pretty deep into the game. I remember being frustrated not being able to hit off of him.

7. bicketybam

He's starting tonigjt if you want to watch. He's been a relief pitcher for the Yankees but they have Cole and Montgomery on the Covid list.

8. DefenseWinsChampionships

I'll be watching the Dallas Pittsburgh game tonight but this is a big time game (and Series) for your Yankees tonight. A.) Seattle is right on your tail fighting for the wild card. B.) The Red Sox had an off day today and a win gets you guys only 4.0 games out (and they're playing bad right now 3-7 last 10). C.) Oakland has an off today today too (a win gets you only 1.5 back of the last WC spot) etc.

If there was ever a must win game on an August 5th? Tonight is that night for your Yankees they can not afford to lose to Seattle tonight.

9. bicketybam

Riiiiight. Jesus dude, you can be insufferable.

10. bicketybam

Not even a "good win" reply, @DefenseWinsChampionships? This was a "must win" game on August 5th!

Why do I get the feeling you would have been here if they lost this ever so important game? Amirite??

11. DefenseWinsChampionships

Nah man I stayed up late with my daughter watching our USA girls do their thing after our Dallas Pittsburgh game and didn't look at the box scores until today.

But yeah this series for the Yankees is big time vs. Seattle because it's the dog days of the summer man and you guys have an opportunity to put Seattle in the rearview mirror while also gaining ground on both Oakland who you're only 1.5 games away from (and trust me when I say you do not want to fall 5.0 games back of them) while also having a golden opportunity to get closer to Boston who's playing awful baseball as of late and only 4.0 games behind them.

Take care of business from now throughout the 16th of August and starting on the 17th during Yankees/Boston 3 game series NYY will either pass them or blow right past them. Every game needs to be treated as a must win (or at least every single series) up until then. Just to have a chance for meaningful baseball come the 17th-18th-19th.

PS: That Rizzo addition is big time. One of my top 10 baseball players. He's going to become the type of sparkplug that both Stanton/Judge needed in order to feast.

12. bicketybam

The Yankees have 53 games left and are a game and a half back of the wild card. They are 3.5 games back of Boston and 5.5 back of TB (5 in the loss column). They have 6 left against Boston and 3 left against TB. They are going not to bury the Mariners in this series and the division is still a possibility (bit unlikely).

When their pitching gets healthy they could have Cole, Kluber, Sevy, Monty and German/Taillon as a rotation. They have a good bullpen and a lineup consisting of DJ, Rizzo, Judge, Stanton, Gallo, Sanchez, and Torres. I wouldn't count them out just yet.

13. DefenseWinsChampionships

Actually 4.0 games back of Boston (not 3.5) and no I'm not counting them out. I actually want no part of their lineup come postseason play. None whatsoever.

I'm just hypothetically speaking. Because say Seattle would've 3-0 swept you guys this series? I'd then begin to count them out. It's not easy to make up ground in baseball you know that better than me.

Maybe buried was extreme but beat Seattle these next two games and they'll be 4.5 back of your Yankees and I'll begin to count them out. I don't believe they're good enough to dig themselves out of an August hole is what I'm trying to say.

But yeah I like you Bic. You're a good man and fun talking baseball with you. You're the only one who keeps my Rays thread interesting and thnx for sticking up for me in that Jets playoffs thread I appreciated that.

14. bicketybam

Seattle isn't better than the Yankees. That's why I'm not wringing my hands over this series. 161 games has a way of sorting things out.

I was alive when the Yankees were 14 1/2 games out of first in mid July in 1977. That year ended with the Yankees winning the world series. It ain't over 'til it's over

15. DefenseWinsChampionships

That's crazy but how many games were they out of first on August 6th? I guarantee it wasn't no 14.5 games and I'd bet it wasn't even 6!

16. DefenseWinsChampionships

@bicketybam you made me super curious and google is an awesome tool lol.

Yankees were in 3rd place and only 4.5 games out of first on August 6th of 1977 @ 67-50 (117 games in).

But wow you just made me learn something. I've never checked MLB standings from 77 and I never knew all of Detroit/Cleveland/Milwaukee were once A.L. East teams. I bet when your Yankees play those teams still today it brings back memories of throwback A.L East rivalries.

And I never knew the Angels were once called the California Angels and what the heck were the ATL Braves doing in the N.L WEST?

17. bicketybam

I tried to find the standing in 1978 for a specific date and couldn't. Where did you find that??

Edit: it was 1978, not 1977.

18. DefenseWinsChampionships

This was the 1977 one (link below). But I missed up. I looked for August 16 of 1977 by mistake instead of August 6th 1977 (moving too fast).

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/?date=1977-08-16

But this one below is the 1978 one that you're putting me up on game and telling me about.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/?year=1978&month=08&day=6

And you're right man. 61-49 and 8.5 games back while 110 games in.

Ok Bic ok man you proved me dead wrong.

That was a crazy seasonal and divisional comeback. Now I know why you feel the way you do about early August.

bicketybam likes this.
  19. bicketybam

If memory serves me correctly, the Yankees had the lead on the last day of play and lost while Boston won. They shouldn't have had to play that one game play in game.

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

@bicketybam

Remember that post?!?

Top of the 6th inning. On the road @ Baltimore. Losing 5-2. Runners on the corners with no outs.

Nelson Cruz @ the plate.

Bang.

3 run HR.

5-5!

This dude is still a freak of nature man.

He's going to help our young ball players so much especially come postseason baseball.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.